Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 10 of 25 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#884603 - 02/09/14 02:30 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

First tubes I've tied...anyone else have experience with them? I like the process but definitely can tell these will have problems sinking fast like the shanks I make. I ordered some tungsten parts and have to run to the store/shop and get some stainless tube as well. The first one has no Lady Amherst and the second one I added a cone and almost forgot flash towards the front of the bug.
First attempt

Second attempt.

size comparison

C'mon Salmo quit sandbaggin this thread broheim

#884607 - 02/09/14 08:05 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

The fish aint gonna miss the lady amherst Bantam. You better keep a close eye on your bug boxes next time we go out. Some of them could end up missing. wink Are you running 11 or 14 sink tip material. You should be fine with those lead eyes on the tubes.

Edited by metaladdiction (02/09/14 08:24 AM)

#884616 - 02/09/14 10:14 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Nice work, Luis !
You should come down in September with the long rod.
Floating lines and standard patterns are the norm.

#884622 - 02/09/14 11:32 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Direct-Drive]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Good looking bugs Bantam.

#884628 - 02/09/14 12:19 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Per your request John.......:)
I haven't been twisting up any steelhead bugs lately but I've been filling the trout boxes.

Here are some Angora balanced leeches.

A few foam back Raccoons for stillwater dries. Went with the foam back for durability.
As you can see from the second pic trout do a pretty good job of tearing up the original version with a deer or elk hair shellbacks.

The Hairy Turd. I tied this for salt chums but have found searun cutts like it as well.
Here it is dry and wet.

#884632 - 02/09/14 12:46 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Thanks,
Those were all taken on a cell phone...which I think has a macro setting. grin

#884634 - 02/09/14 12:52 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Per your request John.......:)
I haven't been twisting up any steelhead bugs lately but I've been filling the trout boxes.

Here are some Angora balanced leeches.

A few foam back Raccoons for stillwater dries. Went with the foam back for durability.
As you can see from the second pic trout do a pretty good job of tearing up the original version with a deer or elk hair shellbacks.

The Hairy Turd. I tied this for salt chums but have found searun cutts like it as well.
Here it is dry and wet.

The Hairy Turd takes on a nice shape when wet.
Must look good when stripped.

#884637 - 02/09/14 01:11 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

DD, I was going to make it that way last Oct. but tuna season ran clear into the very last week of Oct. I swore to myself I was completely done with the commercial/charter industry starting this year. I plan on going somewhere this late summer or early fall SE with the drifter. There's plenty of time to plan that out.

#884664 - 02/09/14 04:08 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

A good fly delivery system helps get the fishing done. This from a couple weeks ago on my annual Skagit trip, two months early yet again.

I tie flies mainly to keep myself supplied with bait, like when I can't 'ho a few from talented tiers like Coley.

My summer run fly box:

My winter "fly box":

"Bait" from the winter fly box:

That's it gents, and you too BU. I went through a phase of tying and fishing flies in the style of Sid Glasso (RIP), but I tie slowly, and the nice looking flies didn't catch any more steelhead than a simple marabou feather lashed to a hook. Now I dress most of my steelhead flies somewhere in between so as to maintain my ascot cred. I'd hate to be mistaken for just another steelheader who happens to sport a fly rod in lieu of my venerable yellow Eagle Claw drift fishing rod.

Sg

#884669 - 02/09/14 05:15 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Damn Salmo....I knew you had it in you.
I'll halt my requests for additional photos from you from now on.
I like the craft and the flies.

Let's see...DD has participated a bit in this thread. Let's see what he has to offer.
SF

#884675 - 02/09/14 05:49 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
applause

Nicely done Salmo. In hindsight, its pretty easy to post pics huh? grin

#884680 - 02/09/14 06:12 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

OK - I need some help...

Can someone provide a short list of say, the top 6 - 12 hooks (by mfg, model# & size)? I need a short list that will cover general & common varieties of patterns.

I have a proverbial metric [Bleeeeep!] ton of different fly hooks, but most are standard streamer hooks (vs salmon & spey style hooks). A condensed list would be most helpful. Thanks in advance and tight lines,

Edited by NickD90 (02/09/14 06:13 PM)

#884702 - 02/09/14 09:03 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Stonefish,

I wasn't trying to be uncooperative; it is my damn computer, as explained in too much detail now, that and the fact that uploading under the best of circumstances remains a pain in the ass. Don't know why a simple copy & paste doesn't do it, like with text in a WORD document.

Nick,

Over the years I've learned that just about everything is easier when I know how to do it. The secret of the [img]____[/img] does make a significant difference. But my biggest problem is that my desktop computer must be getting too old to upload from my camera SD card after it gets a few too many pictures on it.

As for hooks, I used to be partial to Mustad 36890 back when I could buy a box of 100 for $1.38 from Herters. Not so much anymore. I was just perusing my Hook & Hackle catalog, and crikies, they love their hooks! So much that I think I'll let them keep them. I'd buy more Daiichi salmon hooks, style 2161, but they charge their weight in gold for those damn things too. The Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks in heavy wire look good but don't hold up for what they cost either - and I've been good friends with AJ for going on 40 years, but not quite that good. A pretty good hook for the inflated price is the Tiemco 7999, and I take those and bend the bend such that the hook point is pointed at the eye of the hook. I think they hold fish better that way but can't prove it.

I think I'll start tying my flies on the hooks I scavenge from the rivers. Actually I have about 20 miles of plastic tubing. I could just tie tube flies and use my scavenged hooks on them and save a few bucks. I'm getting close to retirement and have to stop throwing my money around.

Sg

#884706 - 02/09/14 09:15 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Sorry Salmo,
Forgot to add one of these grin after the word "on" in my last post.
wink

Nick,
Any particular types of patterns you want to tie or species you intend to target?
That might help narrow down your hook wish list a bit because there are a shitload of brands, sizes and models available.
SF

Edited by stonefish (02/09/14 09:18 PM)

#884710 - 02/09/14 09:27 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
NickD90 Offline

Just basic salmon and steelhead flies. I have tons of 2 - 4x long shank Mustad streamer flies in many different sizes, but not many hooks in classical salmon and spey bends and shapes.

#884722 - 02/09/14 10:01 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

I've had good luck with Gamakatsu T10-6H hooks. They tend to stay sharper for me then the 7999's. They come in four different colors ( green, blue, red) as well, although I'm not sure anything is any better then black.
They come in size 8 - 2/0 and aren't overly pricey for the 20 packs in smaller sizes.
SF

#884723 - 02/09/14 10:07 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

I've been making my own intruder wires now for about a year or so now. I haven't tied much of any flies with traditional hooks in years. Im sure the buggy whipping elders here have a good idea

#884729 - 02/09/14 10:43 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Bantam]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Nick.

The pattern or desired look dictates the hook. Most of the more "modern" steelhead flies (intruder, hobo spey, pick yer pocket, etc.) are tied on either clipped long shank hooks, spinner shafts, or Waddington shanks with a stinger hook loop that your hook of choice can be hitched into. I use octopus style hooks in a few sizes for the stinger/trailing hook on these flies.

For the classic spey patterns, Alec Jackson's seem to be the standard and are hard to beat for style. The McNeese Heron hooks are very similar and equally classy. These traditional hooks are designed more to make a pretty fly than they are to hook and land a fish functionally though. If function is what you are after, stuck to the stinger/trailing hook design.

To get rolling, your mustad streamer hooks should be fine, just clip the hook off at the bend and you've got a nice shank to wind up your fly of choice on. Up eye, down eye, straight eye, it matters not. For the stinger loop, 50-60lb power pro, dacron, or wire all work just fine. I've been digging the Senyo's Intruder wire recently but have used braid for quite a while with good results.

Ill see if I can whip up a step by step on a basic EP Intruder pattern I've cranking out this week when my new point and shoot arrives tomorrow.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#884731 - 02/09/14 10:49 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Oh, and Salmo posted pics! They must be playing hockey in hell. Nice spread as well. Don't sell yourself short Salmo. It looks like you twist up a pretty good bait to me. Nice boat.

I like the way that Angora looks Stonefish. I could see working some of that into a sculpin or smolt pattern. Very nice innovation on the foam back raccoon as well. I really enjoy the engineering/problem solving side of fly tying. Many out of the box flies don't work just as you would want them too for your application. Taking the basic design back to the table and trouble shooting it with other materials and designs and eventually finding something that works is rewarding.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#884733 - 02/09/14 11:01 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks guys. That's most helpful. Please keep the great info coming. I'll start posting some ties shortly...

Page 10 of 25 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1432 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |