Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91804 - 06/03/00 09:27 PM Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Washington
Has anyone ever fished at Long Lake over by Othello out in the Seep Lakes area ?
This lake is full of Monster size carp.
All 20 pounds +. All over 48 inches in length.
I cannot get them to bite on anything.
And I have tried everything.
Even all the old Carp bait suggestions of dough balls.

#91805 - 06/03/00 11:57 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Try a bow and arrow. It used to be a blast.

#91806 - 06/04/00 02:43 AM Re: Catching Big carp
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I've never had the opportunity to fish for carp that big but I would try a nightcrawler filling it with air and covering it in anise oil. Rig it up so the worm will actually float. If available I would try sandshrimp the same ones you'd use for steelhead. I've caught a lot of smaller carp on those. I've also done well on pieces of anchovies. They're tough to fish because they're real soft. Give that a try and let me know what happens. Stlhdr1@hotmail.com

------------------

#91807 - 06/04/00 08:57 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Bring a big family size can of corn down to the lake with you, and stay down low and quiet. Carp get spooked really easily. Use corn on a small hook and chum with some of the stuff in the can. If they get spooked, you might as well bring the bow and arrow, they wont bite after you scare them. Good luck and tight lines!
-- The Chum Man

#91808 - 06/04/00 09:32 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go to uk.rec.fishing.coarse and ask. Many of them specialize. Be as specific as you can and title the request "Attn. Leon, Elton, et al" (They are friends of mine.) Tell them John Rowley suggested that you ask.

John

#91809 - 06/04/00 10:18 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Bow and arrow is alot more FUN. You don't have to worry about spooking them.

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#91810 - 06/05/00 12:19 AM Re: Catching Big carp
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Dont know what kind of carp you'r going after but I am reading a book right now called "Ultimate Freshwater Fishing" by John Bailey.In his section of carp cathcing he sys to use bread and try different colors by dying them and to cut them in size of matchboxes. Also he says that they are a surface feeder and so don't sink the bait. He mention of dog dood and cat food. But some carps are bottom feeders so I am not sure which ones you are going for. Use Tiger nuts as a attractant(pre soak them first.
on a hook use two tiger nuts with a small piece of foam in the middle to keep it a float.( I have no idea what tiger nuts are )cord and a live maggot was recommended too.
good luck

#91811 - 06/05/00 04:45 AM Re: Catching Big carp
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
At my local lake the Russian guys slay the carp. Old cornbread kneaded into doughballs fished right on bottom. I'm thinking the corn is probably key.

#91812 - 06/05/00 09:55 AM Re: Catching Big carp
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
There is an excellent carp bait recipe on www.rodworks.com I have tried it, and it works like a charm. Those old rubber lippers love this stuff. Sit back and handg on. They also love 1/64 or 1/32 oz black tube jgs. pack a lunch, because it will take all day to land those pigs on 4 lb line. Also, may want to check out the floats on that website. Great cost, and fairly inexpensive for hand made floats. Tight lines

#91813 - 06/05/00 11:15 AM Re: Catching Big carp
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Hohawiian -

Is that the Russian guy on Green Lake? A couple of Russian/Eastern European guys use bread balled onto the hook. I've heard its the bread. Some locals will only use Wonder White. Go figure, but I guess it works because I've seen them with some monsters.

#91814 - 06/05/00 01:18 PM Re: Catching Big carp
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
Try mixing corn flakes and straberry soda into a doughball. Works well for carp, I've even caught bass on them. Go figure.

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#91815 - 06/07/00 03:03 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

I have tried Corn , bread dough balls , bread and peanut butter dough balls , Night crawlers , Lures , plugs , flys , jigs.
These huge Carp only seem to feed off of the bugs that land on the water surface.

I think it is an illeagle No-no to obtain Carp with a Bow and Arrow.
But I already thought about that afew times.

I don't know what else to try.
They are not interested in anything I toss at them.

#91816 - 06/07/00 03:14 PM Re: Catching Big carp
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Heeey! Since the north fork stilly didn't get any plants 2 years ago, I should take my 7 wt with a few drys and go carp fishin. I've yet to catch a 20 pounder on the bug rod!!

One other (helpful) thought--are the fish there year round or just during the spring? The carp may be spawning and active feeding may be a secondary priority. Other than this, it may very well be that these monsters got to be monsters because they're line shy. Try matching the hatch, toss a bug, and hang on!

#91817 - 06/07/00 07:06 PM Re: Catching Big carp
rod 'n' reel Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. Usa
Leah, There was a great article in the Fall '99 issue of "Northwest Fly Fishing" on Banks Lake carp. One patten they show is a Hare's ear Nymph with rubber legs tied into it. The guide that fish this area uses a polein' boat just like on the flats for bonefish and such. Anyway it does say these fish are very spooky so presentation and stealth are paramount. Also it says these are great fighters, so CARP-ON. Tight Lines & Smilin' Faces

------------------

[This message has been edited by rod 'n' reel (edited 06-09-2000).]

#91818 - 06/07/00 09:55 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Believe me it is legal to shoot carp with bow and arrow!!! They have contest over at the potholes res. every year with bow and arrow . It's a blast .

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#91819 - 06/07/00 11:56 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Bow and arrow for carp is COMPLETELY legal!!
Harpoon those buggers.

#91820 - 06/08/00 04:05 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

Well I think I just may have to look into that abit further.
There's so many BIG carp in Long Lake by Othello out in the Seep lakes.
They come down the canal from the Pot Holes Res.
I was almost tempted to shoot them with my 357*

How much does a nice bow and arror set cost ?
Do I have to attach a line to the arrow , or will the fish float after I put an arrow in him ?
What about a cross bow dart gun ?

I would prefer to do this the old fashioned way of Catching them on a fishing pole.
But they are so wary of me I can't get them to feed on anything.
Even chumming with corn.

#91821 - 06/08/00 05:15 PM Re: Catching Big carp
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Hey Leah:

You need to use a fiberglass arrow for these bruisers, as you need the mass and kinetic energy to punch through the water, and old rubberlips. You also need a stationary spool with bow fishing line, or one of the new bow reels for fishing. Another thing you should use is a "roller" rest for your arrow, as hunting rests will be destroyed when you shoot a heavy fiberglass arrow.

Should be able to go to an archery store and get a used setup for a couple of hundred dollars. Any reputable shop will give you a hand getting set up for shooting "Hoovers". You may have so much fun that you also get interested in bow hunting critters, which is even better yet.

When you sneak on those carp, keep a low profile and be quiet. If you are in a boat, stand on the deck on a foam mat to limit any sound radiating out of the boat. At 15 to 20 yards, aim about 2 inches below the fish, as they look like they are higher up in the water column than they really are. Good luck, and I hope you have a blast. Pull out the harpoon, and head for the lake.

#91822 - 06/08/00 05:31 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

The only way to get to these carp is by Boat.
They have areas they like to hang out in.
They love to float the surface and then jump.
So close I could net them , darn near.

I have an Archery store about 30 miles from me , so I'll have to look into this.
This could be fun !

#91823 - 06/09/00 10:27 PM Re: Catching Big carp
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
hey leah, i have a bow i have never hunted with and would like to try them carp with it..if i find all the right equipment and all..and if ya get hooked up with a bow..jus leave me a shout on this thread if ya want to go out carp huntin' lol..im over near tacoma, but would drive over to try them carp out..have a good one man..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |