THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#925118 - 03/15/15 11:40 AM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Lucky -
Two of the major considerations in any potential "shaping" of Puget Sound opportunities are the total impacts of Puget Sound Chinook and upper Fraser coho. Both of which are caught in Washington coastal fisheries. Which options are selected and that options respective impacts will limit potential options for PS fisheries.

Just one example would be the coho fisheries off the north Coast/Neah Bay area for tribal, recreational and non-treaty troll fisheries. That area is a major staging/feeding area for those upper Fraser Coho which is limited by the US/Canada treaty to no more than a total of 10% impacts in Washington waters. The higher the coho catch (more upper Fraser fish)in that area the more restrictive inside fisheries (more and longer mark selective fisheries) will likely have to be.

Curt

#925123 - 03/15/15 12:55 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Thanks Curt,

It seems worth exploring with WDFW to find out exactly what options are available to catch those “perceived inequities” other than the 20 inch min. size option.

Most recreational opening seasons at the Tulalip bubble for Chinook was somewhere in early June, except for the 2012 season that opened May 4, 2012, then reverted back to June openers again.

Curt, do you know why only the May 2012 opener in the bubble. Something happened at NOF? The tribes still fish that area in May?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#925136 - 03/15/15 04:51 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
Originally Posted By: cncfish

my other comment on these fish is they show up in the river before June 1. "Blackmouth" fishing ends April 30th.... I would bet a lot are caught the last few days of the season, but I would love to see a May fishery out there. I would give up all of December for that. but many wouldn't and I have no idea what the shaker to adult rate would become.

Instead of dropping the size limit to 20 inches as proposed by the Puget Sound Chinook winter minimum size limit fact sheet, with one reason being ”to increase harvest in NT sport fisheries will help restore 50:50 sharing of allowable catch where inequities are perceived.”

If the ten-year average of the tribes catching an average of 64% of the PS Chinook is correct, then there is a difference between fact and perception.

A proposed longer season on “blackmouth” running through May 31 instead of April 30, especially in Area 8-2, could result in adult Chinook being put into the boat instead of the proposed 20 inch 2 pounders to restore the 50:50 split.

It would be interesting to see how the numbers would crunch out.

And/Or there could be an early Chinook fishery in MA 11 on the resurgent White River strain being produced in the State hatchery.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#925137 - 03/15/15 05:06 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Why would Frasier R coho limit inside PS fisheries. MA 4-7 I could see but not 8+ Any insight?

#925149 - 03/16/15 06:24 AM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
OceanSun-
You are correct that Fraser Coho are not an issue for MAs 8-13. However since MA5, 6 and 7 are considered to be part of the Puget Sound and whose seasons are discussed during the Puget Sound NOF discussion how many (% impact) are a significant issue in the PS discussions.

curt

#925571 - 03/22/15 09:33 AM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Monday March 23, Puget Sound NOF meeting at WDFW Millcreek--6-8PM.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#925579 - 03/22/15 11:04 AM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I'll be there.

#925591 - 03/22/15 06:01 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
I have not participated in any of the NOF meetings before. Is there any public input or is it strictly an informative meeting regarding what and why policies are being set forth?

#925592 - 03/22/15 06:54 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: supcoop]
autopilot70 Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: supcoop
I have not participated in any of the NOF meetings before. Is there any public input or is it strictly an informative meeting regarding what and why policies are being set forth?
Both.

#925598 - 03/22/15 08:29 PM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Please attend if you can. Folks need to know the process to be able to effect change.

#925897 - 03/26/15 09:53 AM Re: North of Falcon proposals out - Thoughts? [Re: GodLovesUgly]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
These meetings seem to be taking a different track than before, at least on the subjects discussed at Mill Creek.

Up front the limitations and restrictions are discussed in as much detail as required for those attending so they understand what effects the ESA listings and tribal practices have on how sport fishing can be allowed or not allowed in certain regions based on the forecasted return (yes still paper fish). There were many handouts with the details, plus graphs, charts and spreadsheets to show how and why certain decisions, actions or opinions came about.

Then several options and suggestions are presented by WDFW for discussion and opinions, they also let everyone know what subjects and fisheries we could control or influence by giving them our likes and dislikes. After that people can make their own suggestions if they have other plans or ideas. Several of the agreed upon seasons, limits, areas and gear regulations from the Mill Creek meetings have made it directly to the rule book. Others need to still be negotiated with the tribes, but WDFW will move it in the direction the sportsman would like it to go if possible. Again, the limitations of what they can do are explained up front so if it doesn't go exactly as the sportsman would like, they know about it beforehand, not after the fact when the rule book comes out.

With a better understanding of the laws and run size limitations (ESA) there was less arguing and discontent, it was a very polite and cordial meeting. Maybe the free coffee, cookies and soda helped too.

All WDFW people in attendance did a very good job, they were well prepared to discuss just about any subject in detail if needed.

You can now express your opinions directly to WDFW online at http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/ they requested sportsman do this as often as needed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 669 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |