Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92780 - 07/15/00 07:03 PM Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you do if you see a seal? You can't shoot them, so how do you scare them off? shoot blanks at them? nobody will think I am shooting at them since nobody ever fishes where I do, or at least I never see anyone, but it is still illegal to shoot them. What do you do when you see a seal? while out fishing, I have seen them come up and eat a fish right in front of me, so I figure after that there probobly arn't to many more fish in the vicinity.

Thanks,
BEn

#92781 - 07/15/00 07:44 PM Re: Seals?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
If I see seals, I move alittle bit, they have probably spooked the salmon. If that doesn't work, use your killer whale call, and maybe you will spook them.

#92782 - 07/15/00 10:33 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Sling shot with rocks or if you can get them steel Ball berings or even marbles.
don't have to hit them just the sound hitting the water will send them off like they were hit.
dcrzfitter

#92783 - 07/15/00 10:34 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Sling shot with rocks or if you can get them steel Ball berings or even marbles.
don't have to hit them just the sound hitting the water will send them off like they were hit.
dcrzfitter

#92784 - 07/16/00 12:26 AM Re: Seals?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Slingshots, charge at them with the boat, or maybe pellet gun will work. BUT, any harassment is illegal. So just make sure no one is around. I just move on if possible. Last I heard, commercial fishermen can shoot them if they get in the nets and such.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#92785 - 07/16/00 11:19 AM Re: Seals?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
DanO, where can I get a killer whale call and what does it sound like? LOL

#92786 - 07/16/00 12:42 PM Re: Seals?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Observed people throwing rocks at seals during a local chum run, because the seals had gotten pretty efficient at making off with the fish on the end of your line...fish would beach themselves rather than get picked off by the seals (of course, they were then picked off...er...up...by less ethical Slavic drones)...when the few winter-runs showed and I hooked a fish, I noted the seal head bobbing in the water and, while running after the fish, pretended to pick up a rock and pretended to throw it...the seal backed off. I wouldn't recommend this method, however, as it made me feel quite goofy (a sentiment confirmed by the loss of the fish right at my feet). Worth to try in an emergency, though...

#92787 - 07/16/00 01:53 PM Re: Seals?
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
they are a big problem. I agree with the sling shot.

#92788 - 07/16/00 02:05 PM Re: Seals?
Fishin Farmgirl Offline
Smolt

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Wrist Rocket with rocks or ball bearings...but I just keep on my toes if the fish are biting and get 'em in QUICK!!!!!

L

------------------
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds!" Albert Einstein

#92789 - 07/16/00 07:18 PM Re: Seals?
Gonefishin Offline
Fry

pepper spray works for me. the seals never return after an encounter with that.

#92790 - 07/16/00 08:27 PM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
You Guys must be insane I saw those guys on the discovery channel Weapons and Warfare unlike Sasquatch the Seals are real and dont like people shooting at them with sling shots and BB guns.
Seriously there isn't a heck of alot you can do other than hollering and throwing things which will make a lot of noise and any thing you throw becomes litter so why not just go about your bussiness and see what happens. The way we are polluting the sound you probably wont be seeing harbor seals and sea lions as often down the road ,so enjoy it while you can it is just part of the marine enviroment that we are enjoying when we go out there.

#92791 - 07/16/00 09:51 PM Re: Seals?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Doubletake:, I got mine at Kieko's old aquarium in Newport,Or. Imagine the sound a politician would make , if you told him, No More Lobbyist Dollars!,Vote for what the people in your district want- that's what it sounds like...

#92792 - 07/17/00 01:00 AM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

I still say the sling shot is the way to go. Like I said you don't have to hit them and it's cheap. and it don't polute!! rocks are natural. the sound of a object hitting the water that fast any where near them sends them away. Might be that it sounds like a bullet or something?

dcrzfitter

#92793 - 07/17/00 01:31 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm, my intolorance for anything eating my fish that took so long to catch wisdom brings this septical idea,...a simple .22 or CO 2 powered (or cheasy cross-bow) with some very heavy duty 100- 150 # dacron or spiderline attached to arrow , then attached to a dual cinderblock or heavy object. Arrow sticks to seal , cinderblock(s) take seal down , and no evidence of a floating seal.

* NO seals were harmed in the making of this idea , niether shall there be due to the fact why take time to get rid of one seal when there is a 10 to back them up* ; )

------------------
To Hell with the Antis!

C.D

#92794 - 07/17/00 02:16 AM Re: Seals?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
Snowchuck a threehundred pound seal could break that line without a problem and Gonefishin how can you get close enough to a seal to spray it with pepper spray? Sometimes you guys just don't make any sense to me. No offense but you would have to be stupid to try to shoot a seal with a riffle. What if the bullet bounced of the water and killed someone. How can you guys even blame the low salmon population on seals. Look at the camercial fisherman and (some) of the indian tribes. Don't blame some poor animal for our own doing.

#92795 - 07/17/00 07:26 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan O & Double Take, I tried the killer whale call and it scared the salmon away faster than the seals that took off following them! It did bring in a nice pod of killers though.

[This message has been edited by Reel Truth (edited 07-17-2000).]

#92796 - 07/17/00 07:35 AM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Put a giant picture of "Flipper" on the side of your boat, and they'll stay away forever. I have also heard that a comment such as" You sure would make some good blubber for supper" will send them high tailing. Do they eat drones? If so, I'll take a half dozen seals, and 4 sea lions. Drop them off at Summer fest in Milwaukee, and they'll be in the Root feasting in a matter of seconds. I hate to sound like a Green Peace "Save the Gay Whale" activist, but I have to believe that they would be pretty cool to see. I say leave em the h*ll alone.

#92797 - 07/17/00 10:19 AM Re: Seals?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I've got some black and white paint. If you supply the beer we could all come over and paint your boat in a killer whale theme. That along with the call should do the trick. And you could pepper spray them I've had seals come up a couple of feet from the boat.

Kevin

#92798 - 07/17/00 11:43 AM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
rocks, marbles, sling shots, and pepperspray? I am embarrased to consider myslelf in the same species as you idiots!
The whole idea behind fishing is to get out there and enjoy nature, the river, ocean, and the fish; not to be selfish and greedy. So what if the seals are there. I guess that's part of the game.
Its interesting how when an animal outsmarts a human we automatically decide that they need to be eradicated or better yet harrased.
You guys must be decendants from the parks officials whom eradicated the wolves from Yosemite. They too were a pest at the time!
I to am discouraged by the "competition from seals, but they have just as much right to be their as we do. I think you guys that are harrasing these animals need to take a step back and think about how childish you are being.

#92799 - 07/17/00 02:40 PM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

It's NAUGHTY to call people idiots. If you want wolves, we have an abundance of them in Northern Minnesota. I'll have my buddy send you one (a live wolf) to release in Yosemite. He would be more than happy to do so, since he had his black lab shredded on it's yard lead about a month ago by wolves. Let's not get back to the way it used to be argument, or we'll have to quit bitc*ing at each other when they take our computers away.

I do agree however that the seals have just as much right to be there as we do. Just like the wolves. The only issue is that we have replaced a lot of these critters natural predators, and there are cases where they need to be controlled (either relocation or the other alternative). Kind of sad, when we get out foxed by something with a brain an eighth the size of ours. Perhaps their is validity in the point that we don't use our entire brain.

Must be an adult version of pulling the wings off of flies, burning ants with a magnifying glass, skinning lizards, sticking fireworks in the rear end of carp, smashing minnows with hammers, and kicking cats. Whooda thunk it, will we ever grow up?

#92800 - 07/17/00 03:12 PM Re: Seals?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I used to be just as paranoid as some of you guys about the seals. About two years ago though I noticed that alot of my hookups were coming where they were. I see seals now and head right for em'. They are there for one reason, LUNCH!!! I use them just the same as I do the birds as a indicator of where the fish are. Seems to work for me. My 02.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

#92801 - 07/17/00 03:23 PM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Hey Salmonhead! Do seals fight well? I used the birds to spot baitfish when I guided for specks and redfish in Louisiana. Had a pelican nail one of my clients live shrimp. 17 pound test barely kept him from getting spooled. Got in the marsh up to my as* in mud to cut out the hook. About 15 minutes later, I got the hook out of the corner of its gullet, and let it go. That bird beat the he*l out of me. To my knowledge, I came out of it worse than the pelican. I would imagine seals would be a whole different story. LOL

#92802 - 07/17/00 05:01 PM Re: Seals?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Hawk,
You kill me man!!!! Ya I did hook up with a seal one time, thought it was a mean a** king and it turned out to be a baby seal!!! The funny part was it went under the boat and was takin' line, I was hollerin' to my buddy man this fish is huge when he tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the other side of the boat, I looked back and there was the seal bobbin in the water with the hooch and flasher hangin out if it's mouth. Could only get it to about 50 ft from the boat and had to cut the line. Been with a buddy when he hooked up with a diving bird, what amazed me about that is the riggers' were set at 100'!!! Now that was one mean fight!!! Had to just cut that one off to. Anybody else had a close encounter with a seal???
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

[This message has been edited by salmonhead (edited 07-17-2000).]

#92803 - 07/17/00 06:37 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hawk, I do agree with the last part of your reply ( about growing up ).
I can definately sympathize about your friends dog ( I have four myself ) The point I was trying to make however, was how arrogant people get when they think a species is in their way or to put it into good ole country "a varmit." If the animal is no benifit to us as humans we want to "take it out."
We claim supreme intelligence over all species, then we pollute our water air and land ( all the things that keep us alive ). Humans dont have to great of a track record when it comes to making sound decisions. ( 200 years ago we thought it was Ok to enslave other humans, because they were "less intelligent" or "inferior") we think its ok to kill millions of people in war.
We think we are intelligent, but in my opinion we have alot to figure out.

As for everyone else on this post about "seals"
Harrasment, as well as killing a listed animal is in violation of federal law, so unless you want to do some serious time ( in a federal prison) I wouldn't be f****ng with the seals!

#92804 - 07/17/00 07:52 PM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I was diving for Abalone in S.E. Alaska when three sealions came zooming out of nowhere and started swimming broadies around me in tighter and tighter cicles and one of them grabbed my abalone bag. I sure didn't holler at them or throw rocks, it was about all I could do to stay cool. They appeared to enjoy the lunch, and the only thing left was the nylon bag in shreds so I gathered it up and headed for the beach where we belong.

#92805 - 07/17/00 09:51 PM Re: Seals?
Humpy Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett WA USA
Howdy,
When I was younger spotting a sealion around Muk-Everett was a real treat. Now packs of them cruise by as regular as seagulls. My positive spin on this is like the Bald Eagle recovery, both species way up on the food chain, should give us realistic hope of a Salmonid come back as well.
Floating a herring off the R.R. tracks at Pidgeon Cr.#1 I caught sight of a monster King chasing, adreniline pumping my "King" transformed into a harbor seal. I lucked out getting my bait away from the whiskered Tyee.

#92806 - 07/17/00 10:54 PM Re: Seals?
steelyhorn hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: eastside
I have to totally agree with hawk about our inability to manage predators.. Since we no longer live in a perfect world we must manage everything including ourselves. The problem comes when we allow a predator to go unchecked.. I say yes to wolves and grizzlies in Mt. Rainier only if I get to take'em out if given the chance!! Maybe some of you living on the outskirts of Tacoma would appreciate a whole bunch of wolves roaming the country side with no means of control! My point is if there is an inbalance of seals in a certain area than we should take what ever steps neccesary to correct the problem.

#92807 - 07/17/00 11:51 PM Re: Seals?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Reel Truth, you must have one of the older ones

#92808 - 07/18/00 01:58 AM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

too bad we cant manage the rich folks, I would be glad to open season on all BMW's and Mercedes

#92809 - 07/18/00 11:14 AM Re: Seals?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
All you need is some horns and round red balls.. When you see the seals you throw that stuff up and the bank and they will go up there and spend the day honking the horns and balancing the balls on their noses leaving you alone to fish !!!

#92810 - 07/18/00 11:44 AM Re: Seals?
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
B-run, that is the best idea yet!!!

#92811 - 07/19/00 01:07 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Managing predators can work , Example, around 4 years ago I noticed several birds in my flock of chickens disapear , some feathers , until I caught the culprit with a load of #4 buck from my 20 gauge, the animal , a coyote, a very smart and numerous predator. afew months later another and 2 more and one more last year. There are still coyotes out there to I have seen and saw them , even as close to spittin distance from my fence and birds , but I havn't had a single kill from a coyote for 3 years (the last one we called in) I belive they have smartend up to the point they think of my birds as the things that mean-joe-green- and his thunderstick own so stay the hell away!, I have seen them stand 300 yds away and when I open the screen door they scatter like hell to the nearest patch of brush. so I do belive this predator control can work, yes on land but in the sea with lions' could be a way diffrent story.

------------------
To Hell with the Antis!

C.D

#92812 - 07/19/00 09:17 AM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Snowchuck, Whats with the antis thing I'm fairly new to the board and a bit curious?

#92813 - 07/19/00 02:32 PM Re: Seals?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Steelhead Addict, it's obvious by your above post that you have no experience in Puget Sound . Would it be better to release an exhausted chinook into the waiting teeth of a seal or try to scare the seal off? How does a slingshot aimed at a seal equate to eraditcating wolves from Yosemite? I really don't see the similiarity. I suppose if a black bear was digging through your cooler looking for your hidden snicker bars you wouldn't want to interfere with the bear's "natural" behavior. A sportfish hooked or exhausted salmon isn't part of a seals natural diet either. I agree that pepper spray and pellet guns might be a little extreme, but equating a slingshot(btw, I can barely it the ocean from a rowboat with a slingshot) to eradication of wolves in Yosemite is absurd.

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 07-19-2000).]

#92814 - 07/19/00 07:13 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

salmon tackler the wolves were an EXAMPLE of human arroagance dealing with unwanted aniamls. My point was that if some had it their way seals would be eradicated to the point they were at 100 years ago.
Secondly, If you care so much about a Tired out Chinook getting its chance to spawn, then dont catch and release fish, better yet stay at home. Don't use the seal as an excuse.
Third, the answer to your bear question, hoist your food up a tree. That way you won't tease the bear with a free lunch.

I would probably get ticked off too if a seal was eating a fish I caught. My point was to open peoples minds about harrasment. Also the federal law they are breaking by HARRASING a listed animal. I dont think some people realize the consequences.

#92815 - 07/20/00 12:08 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Native son,

Anti refers to a person who hates people for Hunting and Fishing , mainly the new-age hippies and moss-eaters. You can also call them Bunnie-huggers and Bambi savers , whatever.I don't want to get to drawn out over this since this ins't the proper post to do so.

------------------
To Hell with the Antis!

C.D

#92816 - 07/20/00 12:25 AM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

stereotypes anyone?

#92817 - 07/20/00 12:36 AM Re: Seals?
Gonefishin Offline
Fry

if you buy a big twenty ounce can of pepper spray or mace it will shoot about twenty-five ft. hey SNOWCHUCK I like your idea about shooting the seals with a crossbow, but you need heavier line and a barbed arrow

#92818 - 07/20/00 07:37 AM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Let's not get the moss eater, bambi saving, save the gay whale foundation thing going too strong. Otherwise, Butterfly (the gal that spent 18 months in a northern California Redwood) will tie herself to bouy in the ocean to protect the seals. If I find out that you guys are harpooning seals, I will round up a bunch of drones, and have a candle light seal vigil at bouy 432. I still say the horns and red ball option is your best bet. Kuumbaya

#92819 - 07/20/00 10:55 AM Re: Seals?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Why can't I just use last season's Elk tag to bag my seal ...just kidding,I don't think I could bugle in a Seal.
The last few seasons I've noticed a few seals in the Nisqually,but for some reason they dissaper after a few days ,heck I beleve it was last year 2 seals made it all the way up to Alder ,as soon as word got out the Natives tagged and bagged um.....wonder how they taste? .I personally don't have a problem with shooting these bad boys...in the right situation i.e. in the river not on the salt ,saftey first don't want that bullet ending up somewhere it's not supposed to They no longer need to be protected they need to be managed!!
UMMM wonder if they taste anything like Whale just my .02

#92820 - 07/20/00 03:29 PM Re: Seals?
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
HEY OSPREY, YOU DONT REALLY WANT TO WONDER WHAT SEAL IS LIKE, ITS DARK LOOKIN , IS REALLY RICH IN FLAVOR, AND LOTS OF FATTY TISSUE, IN PERSONALLY DONT LIKE IT..TASTED BAD,WHEN THEY ASKED HOW IT TASTED, I SAID NOT BAD, BUT I WAS ONLY TRYIN TO BE POLITE, EVER TRY HERRING EGGS? OR OCTIPUS? YUMMY...WELL GOOD DAY

#92821 - 07/25/00 01:18 AM Re: Seals?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Wow...the threads you see now days. LOL.
I only see one predator out there....us.

#92822 - 07/25/00 02:12 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Kill them all!!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92823 - 07/25/00 09:08 AM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

****, not to worry we are its just a bit slower than some folks want.
By chance did you catch the news article regarding the killing of what has been reported as hundreds of sea lions and harbor seals by the Canadian sea farm peasants, pretty amazing.
In the Gulf of Alaska there are areas the size of puget sound you can not fish in to provide protection for sea lions. They fine people for approaching the rookeries in most areas.
So lets get there numbers way down and then when they shut us down to the extent they have in Alaska we can all take up golf and bowling.

#92824 - 07/25/00 10:06 AM Re: Seals?
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH GOLFING AND BOWLING?
Some awfully nice people pursue these pleasures as sport and or fun.

#92825 - 07/25/00 10:22 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hundreds? Please!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92826 - 07/25/00 04:59 PM Re: Seals?
tomcostello Offline
Egg

Shame on all of you recommmending shooting or otherwise harassing seals. While losing a good catch because of a seal can be frustrating, there is more to life than the perfect catch. Seals are an integral part of the Olympic Ecosystem, and you will find that for every seal that disappears from the Olympic Watershed, 100's of Salmon and Steelhead will also disappear. When the Orcas and other whales lose out on their diet of seals, they will quickly begin feeding on your precious fish at a rate that you will find alarming.

You may also be surprised who reads this forum. Some of us anglers are also memebers of local law enforcement agencies, and two of my buddies that read this forum are with the fish and wildlife services. We'll be looking for you on the water.

My suggestion is to enjoy the Olympic experience, whether it brings you a good catch, beautiful scenery, or a glimpse at our rapidly vanishing wildlife.

#92827 - 07/25/00 05:24 PM Re: Seals?
ACEag Offline
Egg

Loc: coos bay, oregon, USA
I think have no sence of humor to speak of is a worse law to break!!

#92828 - 07/25/00 05:44 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

well worded Tom. Unfortunately, like alot of criminals these guys (or gals for that matter) will get away with it. Thanks for the intelligent post.

#92829 - 07/25/00 05:49 PM Re: Seals?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I don't advocate shooting or harrassing sea lions, they're just something we have to live with. But the claim that losing sea lions actually decreases the number of fish in the sound because of some predator/prey relationship with orcas is just plain false. I wish people wouldn't say such things.

The number of orcas in Puget Sound has been steady for the past 2 or 3 decades, but the number of California sea lions has increased dramatically--by over an order of magnitude. The reason for this increase is due to the rather remarkable recovery and expansion of their range from population lows experienced in the 1950s and 60s. These lows were due to reproductive impacts caused by DDT and PCBs contamination, primarily in the southern California Bight region, where the species is indigenous. Bald eagles and brown pelicans, 2 other fishing eating top predators also suffered dramatically (eggshell thinning). The banning of both substances in the 1970s, coupled with strict pollution regulations, lead to dramatic population increases and expansion of their historical ranges. Large increases of sea lions have also been observed in the San Francisco Bay area, where historically, they only had moderate populations.

The expansion to Puget Sound at their present population has occurred only in the past couple of decades, so a significant predator/prey relationship between sea lions, orcas, and salmon affecting each others populations does not exist. A negative relationship between sea lions and salmon populations does exist during some years in some watersheds. The Cedar, Cowlitz, and Lewis Rivers to name a few.

#92830 - 07/25/00 06:07 PM Re: Seals?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Well Well Deputy Tom,you need to relax .for 1 these creatures are now found in more numbers and locations then any time in their history,sounds like we need to do a little thinning of the heard,I for one would never addvocate such an evdeavor but hey you can't be everywhere ,( Native son has the right idea)
You need to put as much effort into catching the real criminals ( drug-dealers,child molesters and such) instead trying to browbeat a bunch of frustrated fisherman just having a little fun venting...
doesn't Winchells have have a web site just my little .02
And I thought the Olympic experience was in Austrailia this year?

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-25-2000).]

#92831 - 07/25/00 06:08 PM Re: Seals?
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
If you want to support the killing (legal?, does it matter!)of sealions in the Everett area, take a trip to Indian stores out at Tulalip. Every winter some of the Tribal fishermen kill a few sea lions and make drums out of their hides for sale to the public. Buy those drums!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bobber Down (edited 07-25-2000).]

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#92832 - 07/25/00 09:11 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Bobber Down,

Hey, I like yer idea. I think I might give that a try. we can thin them out buy buying drums from the indians. that is a great idea. thanx!!

dcrzfitter

#92833 - 07/25/00 09:56 PM Re: Seals?
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
I got to agree with you Tom on your comments about the ecosystem. Hey obsessed, do you know that Salmon go out to sea? Lets face it, harassing or killing seals or sealions is a waste of time. Harassing your politicians to do something about the nets and the dams is time better spent.

#92834 - 07/25/00 10:23 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Ok i think there are 2 dif. positions on this. I wouldn't want to waste the time going out after a sea lion/ seal or anything els like them. but If I am out and I have one that is trying to take the fish off my line that I am trying to land then It had better look out.What is natural about one of them things trying to take a fish that is on a line? Natural is them finding thier own fish that have a chance of getting away and arn't tied up. I don't bother with them when they are minding thier own business but if they wanna try and take my fish then I might take a sinker and toss it out of the boat in that direction or if I have a sling shot I might use it. Some guys I know of like to shoot bottle rockets in the water and they hear it and get away.

just another 2 bits.

dcrzfitter

#92835 - 07/25/00 10:50 PM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Elmtree, Theres nothing wrong with golf and bowling, I constantly am recomending that others get really involved in the other outdoor sports besides angling, this will free up more water for "me" dont you see.

#92836 - 07/25/00 11:50 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Osprey I would like to know if you could define a "real criminal" for the board. I agree with you that murder and child molestation are horrible crimes that deserve extreme punishments. To just "forget" about every other law or "not worry about it" is absolutely absurd.
What about white collar criminals that pollute our rivers and oceans. They are not guilty of vicious crimes, but in my opinion they should also receive severe penalties.
Lastly, the reason we must now manage just about every species minus ourselves, is because we have thrown off the natural balance of the eco-system. Now, without human intervention, chaos will occur ( mass starvation, disease, etc.) Species management is not just to "get rid" of an unwanted species.

To Bobber down:
It is is an interesting scheme that you have devised to eradicate seals. I am curious however if you are the same type of person whom one second you are complaining about the Native Americans and their "damn gillnets" then you go and buy fish from them, as well as your drums. I talked with a gentleman several weeks ago that had a similar view. He was complaining about The "indians getting to fish Columbia river springers, when he couldn't" ( because of ESA). Then he said that he was planning to go buy some roe from the Native Am. guys selling fish at the dam. Seems ironic to me.

#92837 - 07/26/00 12:11 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Drums huh? What a good idea! I know alot of Native Americans who dislike SEALS. I would love to buy some drums from them!!! I think I would name them HERSHEL!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92838 - 07/26/00 02:45 AM Re: Seals?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

D#ck, would you beat them like a drum?

#92839 - 07/26/00 07:19 PM Re: Seals?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Re: Addict , I won't go in to details on what my opinion of a criminal is this topic was about SEALS ,YOU even said that we need to manage all our resources ,thats all I was saying
so lets not get in to a discussion on criminals it's a real long list!!! were just having a little fun here

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-26-2000).]

#92840 - 07/30/00 08:02 AM Re: Seals?
MNCharlie Offline
Egg

Loc: Anoka, MN
I figured I would chime in with a somewhat amusing story. I've been "lurking" here since last winter when I travelled to WA to visit a friend and fish steelhead.

The January before last we were taking a fmaily vacation in San Diego and my daughter REALLY wanted to go whale watching. All of the charters were booked for the SD area schools so instead I booked a charter to go fishing. She REALLY loves to fish. Well, despite severe and persistent bouts of sea-sickness, she was all bubbly about everything. The dolphins, the birds and especially ... the Sea Lions. Now, the deckhands HATE sea lions. We were bottom fishing with a friend and his son plus two other couples. Fishing was great but packs of sea lions were circling the boat. Now, my daughter thought this was GREAT! When the deckhands weren't looking, she would even toss bait down to them! It made for quite an adventure catching the fish. Reel like heck to get the fish in before a sea lion could nab it! We probably lost half of our fish but nobody really cared. All were thrilled to enjoy the experience through my daughter's 11 year-old eyes. We all felt like kids again -- after all, my daughter knew that the sea lions were just doing what they do -- and she enjoyed every minute of it! By the end, even the deck hands would hand her some bait to throw when the captain wasn't looking!

My daughter even marvelled at the birds -- especially when one of the ladies hooked - and landed! a cormorant!! (What a mess!!!)

Well, by the time we were finished, all of the deckhands and even the captain were under my daughter's charms. Before we left, they gave her a bucket of bait to feed the sea lions. During the morning, one deckhand had heard of her disappointment about missing out on the whale watching tour -- I saw him go up to the bridge to speak with the captain. He soon announced a slight detour on the way in (with a wink and a smile). They soon spotted a grey whale in the distance and brought us within a hundred yards! What a treat -- my daughter was especially thrilled at this special treatment, but didn't realize how "special" it was until she learned that that morning's whale-watching boats did not get that close to any whale!

So you see, it's all in your perspective. The seals were bothersome to all of us until we saw my daughter's delight. A fish or two? Heck, they weren't salmon or steelhead but we still were doing what we loved best - fishing. And who has the more proper "claim" on the fish. Us ... or the seals?

#92841 - 07/30/00 08:23 AM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

MNCharlie thanks for the great post looking at life through the eyes of a child is timeless and always refreshing. A lot more good is accomplished with that youthful enthusiasim than the old grump syndrome.

#92842 - 07/30/00 10:44 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Everyone forget about the Ballard Locks and what they did to the runs of fish!!! How about off the mouth off the Hamma Hamma! I could go on and on. There has to be some kind of CONTROL!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92843 - 07/30/00 05:03 PM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I may have a solution. The Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest seem to have their way with the Fed.s via their very powerful Treaty trump card when it comes to fish & game. Even getting to take Fed. ESA fish in their nets! Much of the balance of nature has been removed from eco-system intrcacies forever so we need to concentrate on attempting control balancing in a proper way. One of them was the regular hunting of seals by early Native Americans, but now they only do this rarely. My idea is for the Fed.s, in conjunction with the states, to promote more Indian seal & sealion seasons periodically in exchange for an ethical and much needed reduction of fish netting. What they don't consume of the seals would find ready Asian markets that would bring revenue to the Tribes. There would be less fish eaten by seals and a little less fish netted by the Tribes. Fanatical groups like PETA and Green Peace would not be able to stop this partial return to nature's past (i.e.- Makah whaling). Seems like a win win scenario to me. Can anyone involved with the state or Tribes up there propose that solution to them? - Steve

#92844 - 08/09/00 08:43 PM Re: Seals?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

I Was told that "seal bombs" are legal in puget sound, grab them m-80s and chuck 'em at those *******s!
Endangered my *ass, there must be 25 seals at Jeff Head alone

edit, the above is b*astards!

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 08-09-2000).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 942 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |