Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#930967 - 05/29/15 11:52 AM Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska
BenFishing Offline
Egg

For those of you who haven't fished the Klutina River yet, this video gives a good overview of this sweet fishery.

https://vimeo.com/127314584

Why deal with the hordes on the Kenai and the Russian River when you've got gems like the Klutina?

The only weird thing is every time I've been on that river, the water has been turquoise blue. It must have been high water or something when they recorded this.

Anyway, makes me want to drift some flies!

#930973 - 05/29/15 12:36 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Why does it mater where they are hooked when you floss? They aren't willing biters at that point, I fail to see why hook location maters. Seems like a strange distinction given the premise. But, this is an argument as old as the fish runs...

#930983 - 05/29/15 01:16 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
BenFishing Offline
Egg

I'm in the camp that thinks they don't willingly bite anymore when they're far up into the river.

But my brother-in-law swears that they'll bite, and he's always changing his yarn color based on the light or what the folks next to us caught one on.

Who knows???

#931000 - 05/29/15 02:11 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
There is a fine line between flossing and snagging (pardon the pun). Flossing is 'upper class' snagging. That means the fish is hooked in a location and in a manner that is identical to how it might have been hooked if the fish had taken the fly, if it were a willing biter, even though it's not.

But snagging is just snagging.

The reason for the rule on 'hook placement' is to maintain that distinction.

I'm not defending the rule, just stating the reason for it's existence.

Edited by cohoangler (05/29/15 02:15 PM)

#931002 - 05/29/15 02:41 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Just give 'em all a circle hook and it becomes a NON issue... virtually NONE would be hooked elsewhere than the mouth

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/116682-Circles-for-sockeye?highlight=

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#931006 - 05/29/15 06:00 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

But Doc, that doesn't answer the question of why it matters where they are hooked. Sure, using a circle hook may assure that they are hooked in the mouth but if they aren't willing biters why is the mouth somehow better than the tail?

Edited by TedR (05/29/15 06:01 PM)

#931007 - 05/29/15 06:37 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I agree with Ted...it's snagging either way, so why worry about where it's hooked?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#931008 - 05/29/15 06:50 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Because that's what the silly law says.

By AK state statute:

Hooked elsewhere than the mouth = snagged

Attempting to hook a fish elsewhere than the mouth = snagging

"Snagged" in the mouth by WA criteria (no willful pursuit) is not "snagged" by AK criteria

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#931011 - 05/29/15 06:55 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: eyeFISH]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Humm?

I wonder how many fish that may have been willing biters are caught in nets.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#931014 - 05/29/15 08:46 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Great video by ADFG. Very clear, concise and makes me want to head back north to slay some Reds.

#931017 - 05/29/15 09:59 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The law is the part I am wondering about...they aren't biting it, so why should it matter where the fish is snagged? Head, ass, dorsal fin...who cares?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#931039 - 05/30/15 05:43 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

What Todd said. They aren't biting, at that point it doesn't matter where they are hooked.

I find it odd that a biologist is the one in the video, just seems like a biologist would be one who cares about willing biter versus non. Kind of a like expecting a priest not to swear, you aren't surprised when anyone else does but if a priest drops an f bomb, everyone notices.

#931049 - 05/30/15 08:32 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
They are Reds, they are tasty food fish, the dirty little secret is that most don't bite. None caught on that river in high-fast-dirty flows would be biting. Open it to wide open snagging, you get higher mortality rates for fish that are released (come on now, we all cherry pick when fishing is good and remember there is a Chinook return to that specific river that ain't doing so well). Not claiming to be an expert like Todd but from what I know snagging in Alaska is only allowed in terminal areas or when a river has reached escapement and the locals need to fill their freezers. smile

#931051 - 05/30/15 08:54 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
It is interesting to me that when I fished the Klutina with my wife and son about 16 years ago our guide ignored and dismissed Sockeye completely. My wife caught a 39 pound king, my son one about 35 and I did a couple in the high 30's. We hooked 20 Kings in a half day of fishing, landing eight in the swift current on egg clusters and keeping two while releasing the other six. We ate salmon for several days of our Alaska road trip, and gave some friends in Girdwood most of our fish as they wouldn't keep. The last 3-4 pound piece I cooked up we shared with some German tourist doing an RV rental road trip and they shared some alcohol beverages with us that had.

At that time apparently Reds were not even worth driving up from Anchorage
to fish for. They were jumping all around our feet while we fished for Kings.

Times definitely changed.

#931059 - 05/30/15 10:37 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yep.... and now there is guided fishing for Kenai pinks, too. The times they are a'changin'

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#931107 - 05/31/15 08:39 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
oneeyedgoat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: maple valley
I agree with both sides, but in that state you can go into a tackle shop or Wallmarts and see a whole rack of what they call silver spiders,. Every size of weighted triple hooks. More tax dallora at work?

#931108 - 05/31/15 08:42 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
oneeyedgoat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: maple valley
I'm confused?

#931201 - 06/02/15 11:54 AM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
BenFishing Offline
Egg

Well, when it's just about filling the freezer, and you take the whole sportfishing aspect out of the equation, they allow dipnetting up there.

These are a pretty good watch:
https://vimeo.com/66683195
https://vimeo.com/66683196
https://vimeo.com/66683197

I think that's just for residents though.

#931442 - 06/04/15 10:32 PM Re: Salmon fishing on the Klutina River - Alaska [Re: BenFishing]
BiLLYiZME Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kitsap
I don't know about fishing for reds on the Klutina, but landing a big Klutina king is an experience to say the least. The kings run up to 70 lbs. That and the fast moving river makes for quite a challenge. No crowds either.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |