THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#933037 - 06/25/15 08:01 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Blake is intentionally trying to minimize the significance of WDFW's historic hammering of wild WB chinook.... burying the harvest abuses in WB within the greater aggregate of the much larger ESU. Essentially he is saying WB does NOT matter in the greater context of the ESU... other streams in the ESU should be the driver.

This idea that a smaller population within a larger aggregate is inconsequential is the very mindset that has destroyed historic salmon population EVERYWHERE.

Once you've decided a component of the population is expendable, then it's just a matter of time before the entire population becomes expendable.

Viable salmon populations can only be as strong as their component sub-populations. As go the parts, eventually so goes the whole. It's just a matter of time.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933042 - 06/25/15 08:34 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

PROPS! to Steve Thiesfeld for his very compelling presentation/testimony for conservation in WB... cue up 1:08:35.

When fish/wildlife mangers are doing their jobs right, the state should always be MILES ahead of the fed. When it's the other way around, the state is simply NOT doing its job. Refreshing to see this sea change within the agency as it concerns WB.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933047 - 06/25/15 09:20 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I see that a member of the comm fish sector got in the final word for this "work session" ... one expressly disallowing public comment by procedural design. Two and a half minutes of discretionary airtime on the clock to be exact.

Procedural foul on the part of Mr Blake?

No one else from the public got in a single word edgewise.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933048 - 06/25/15 09:32 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
It was informative but pretty one-sided with Blake crafting the questions to obtain information he wanted.

WDFW's Steve Theisfeld was asked about recreational regs and Theisfeld confirmed that the Department has very liberal regs for the recreational fishers. This in the context of commercials taking most of the fish. What wasn't discussed was the timing of the commercial fleet's fisheries and their impact on recreational success. Theisfeld missed that opportunity.

Blake also asked Theisfeld to provide information on the number of recreational fishers and Theisfeld promised to provide data on the number of recreational fisher trips. I hope he goes back far enough to show how active that fishery was and addresses how great it can become - and not simply provide one data point.

Those observations aside he (Theisfeld) did a great job against a stacked deck.

Edited by Larry B (06/25/15 09:35 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#933069 - 06/26/15 08:00 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Larry B]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Scott Ramsey's bit on who & how a request for a stock evaluation can be seen at about 1:00:33 and it is interesting to say the least. Also on the slide presented that was posted previously, the Willapa numbers are wrong / right depending on what years were used for the average. Take Willapa Estuary off expansive multiple year averages and use 2010 to present Willapa is not a plus but rather plummets to the minus column also. So we only have two Chinook stocks that are not in decline.

#933088 - 06/26/15 01:07 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Theisfeld is a breath of fresh air. Glad he is in region 6.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#933099 - 06/26/15 04:19 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

The state should make everyone that wants to fish buy something, let's call it a "license". The revenue from "license" sales should go into a pot to help run fishery related programs.

An extra fee could be considered if you wanted to fish the Columbia River tributaries. I'm not sure why but something tells me that should be a pay to play region.

Additional fees could be considerd for a "salt water license" and a "shellfish license".

If my noble idea is implemented, the State would be swimming in money and the fisheries would be booming.

#933144 - 06/26/15 10:19 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I always liked Steve Theisfeld when he was up north, felt he was honest but somewhat constrained by the wdfw status quo.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#933197 - 06/28/15 08:17 PM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Be ready for round 2 in the morning.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#933234 - 06/30/15 02:02 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Word on the street is Round 2 delivered a decisive 3-part TKO to the Blake camp.

1) Threat to the commission's Willapa Bay Policy thwarted
2) Funding for mass marking preserved
3) Commissioner Wecker keeps her post.

Egg on his face? Or was that caviar? Embarrassing, regardless.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933235 - 06/30/15 04:08 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Word on the street is Round 2 delivered a decisive 3-part TKO to the Blake camp.

1) Threat to the commission's Willapa Bay Policy thwarted
2) Funding for mass marking preserved
3) Commissioner Wecker keeps her post.

Egg on his face? Or was that caviar? Embarrassing, regardless.

That is VERY GOOD NEWS............Shame on Brian Blake !!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#933241 - 06/30/15 07:55 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: DrifterWA]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Hope this is the beginning of Blake's diminished political power. My constituent response from Rep. Sam Hunt was word for word identical to Blake's, as mentioned earlier. Hope his actions spoke louder than his words at crunch time. Big THANKS to everyone who kept us current on these issues.

#933245 - 06/30/15 09:10 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Fantastic news!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#933248 - 06/30/15 09:47 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That's great news.

CedarR,

I think Rep. Hunt could be educated on this. He was probably just following Blake as a fellow Dem.

Sg

#933250 - 06/30/15 10:28 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
What you should find out is Blakes position on the O/G projects for Grays Harbor, before you start slamming him to hard.

There's a sucker born every minute

#933256 - 06/30/15 11:07 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: SBD]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: SBD
What you should find out is Blakes position on the O/G projects for Grays Harbor, before you start slamming him to hard.

Okay, I'll bite. Why don't you explain to us what might mitigate our criticism?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#933258 - 06/30/15 11:22 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

I'd start by digging up the mitigation plans for proposed O/G projects. They need them to get started, WDFW and NMFS should both have them by now. Blake may have already seen them, just wondering what side of the fence he's on. Been watching the same crapzolla down here for almost ten years now and don't expect that industry to play fair or follow the rules.

#933259 - 06/30/15 11:26 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: SBD]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: SBD

His position for public consumption, or his position for big oil/gas campaign $$$... 'spect he has more than one; after all, he is a politician.

#933261 - 06/30/15 11:31 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: Fishinnut]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
He'll be on the side of the fence that pays him best, that ensures his re-election.

#933263 - 06/30/15 11:36 AM Re: Action Alert! Huge threat to recreational fishing! [Re: CedarR]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

True but it split the politicians down here, not sure they wanted to get into the fight early on since taking on the O/G industry is political suicide at that level. But some tried to block some things they were after using different methods. After Oregon's governor resigned and the emails were released it's apparent just how pro LNG he was. But no one could ever pin him down in office and get a statement from him other than "Our environmental laws should protects us" ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |