Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#933750 - 07/08/15 12:12 PM Newbie salmon canning questions
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
I would like to can some pink salmon for gifts and sandwiches over the winter. This will be my first attempt, so I am hopeful someone with more experience can answer some of my dumb questions. I would prefer to use 1/2 pint jars because of serving size. I think I have my preferred canners narrowed down to the All American 15 1/2, and the All American 21 1/2.
Question 1:
Which would be best for canning 6 - 12 smoked pinks at a time?
Question 2:
Is there any difference in equipment or difficulty in using 1/2 pint jars? 1/4 pint?
Question 3:
Inside or outside over a propane burner?
Question 4:
My family is tending 6 raised beds of vegetables and fruits. Will this canner accomplish both tasks?
Question 5:
Are special mason jars required for pressure canning?

I am sure I will come up with some more questions later. Thanks in advance for any advice.

#933816 - 07/08/15 09:30 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Q1: 21 1/2. If you ever get into Tuna fishing or have a bumper veggie crop, you'll want the largest size you can get. Pay now or pay later in all of the extra time it takes to run a smaller cooker.

Q2: No difference other than the extra time needed to pack smaller jars. Jar size doesn't matter when cooking, only packing.

Q3: If you want to remain married, always can fish outside on a propane burner.

Q4. Yes. No problem.

Q5: No. Jars are jars.

Last piece of advice. Buy a double burner and two canners. I run a single system, but I really wished I had doubled up. Pressure canning is easy, just make sure you keep the pressure consistent for the prescribed time. Never leave it un-attended. A simple wind shift can easily mess with your pressure, so stay on top of it.

#934937 - 07/21/15 05:22 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Ditto to everything Nick said.

I have two big canners, and two propane burners.

Using a propane burner outside requires more vigilant babysitting than doing inside does, but if you do a good job you can do it a lot faster and without making your house smell like a charnel house.

I've messed around with a lot of variables and have settled on 11 pounds for 100 minutes for every kind of fish that I do. It varies for veggies, soups, whatever...so look it up depending on what you want to do.

Over the next two months we will fill up three freezers, the inside pantry, and the garage pantry with the fruits of our garden, the ocean, Puget Sound, and our local rivers...and then eat on it all year until next summer smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#937565 - 08/25/15 09:26 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
You folks got a recommendation for brand of pressure cooker?

#937567 - 08/25/15 10:20 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
If you have the funds, one of the best is the All American 921 21-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner @ $290.00. It's a deluxe model that is SUPER safe.

I own the Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker @ $90 bucks.
Its a good performing entry level cooker. It doesn't have all of the safety bells and whistles that the American has, but it works well if you stay on top of it.

Again and I CANNOT stress this enough. Can OUTSIDE!!!!!!

I can post a picture of what happens when a cooker explodes on the stove. Its not pretty.

#937615 - 08/26/15 05:15 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Bucket likes the best of everything---that's why he fishes with Robbo every year in Craig.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#937647 - 08/27/15 09:45 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
I do feel when that when making an purchase on something that you want for the long term it's money well spent to buy quality. Now fishing with Robbo fits in a totally different slot---entertainment, and its worth every penny, where else can you get kicked around, yelled at, made fun of and enjoy it!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

#937733 - 08/28/15 01:09 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The All American is the Rolls Royce...not required to get you from A to B, but it's an awfully comfortable ride wink

I use the same Presto that Nick mentioned, and it is the best by far for the price...runs anywhere from $80 up to $120, and you can order on online from lots of places and have it lickety split.

Fish on...

Todd

#938262 - 09/08/15 09:38 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I run two of the presto's..........would like to get an all American some day but a $10.00 gasket here and there is cheaper............Out side is a must. I like #10 @ 100 minutes. Good luck,

SZ

#950455 - 02/10/16 10:25 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
Hello all I bought a canner with the intention of canning but I understand I need to get it calibrated/ certified before use. Anyone know where on Whidbey Island I might get that done?

#950488 - 02/10/16 02:43 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: One Way]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: One Way
Hello all I bought a canner with the intention of canning but I understand I need to get it calibrated/ certified before use. Anyone know where on Whidbey Island I might get that done?

I own three, and have owned a few more, and have never ever done this not once ever.

Fish on...

Todd

#951219 - 02/15/16 02:11 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I own two and have never ever done this..................Sounds fishy. Good luck,

SZ

#954210 - 03/20/16 07:17 AM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: One Way]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: One Way

Maybe a California rule?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#964459 - 09/16/16 12:52 PM Re: Newbie salmon canning questions [Re: BGR]
chinookie Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, OR
I have three All American 921's, one was my Grandfather's, one my Father's, one I bought. I can inside and outside and never had the slightest problem. With their Pressure Regulator Weight, there is nothing to ever calibrate, as the weight can be set for 5lbs, 10lbs, or 15lbs. I don't think I've ever use anything other than 10lbs my whole life. These canners are Tanks.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |