Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#941234 - 10/17/15 12:18 PM Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue

#941237 - 10/17/15 01:18 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Ward Offline
Parr

I've been out three days this month in MA 10 and observed light sportfishing effort. I've hooked silvers but no chinook whether of legal size or not. It stretches my imagination that sport fishers have hooked enough native chinook to close a season after a couple weeks that was supposed to go through January.

#941270 - 10/18/15 07:27 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
How many chinook encounters occur during chum targeted saltwater netting?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#941271 - 10/18/15 09:08 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Smoke and mirrors boys...smoke and mirrors!

I'm convinced that nobody really knows what the hell is actually going on anymore!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#941273 - 10/18/15 09:45 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Muckleshafted again.

#941310 - 10/18/15 11:19 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
Now that area 10 is closed, what's going to happen when area 9 opens? How long will it stay open?

If small fish encounters are the problem, why not limit us to plugs or something so we can still fish?

#941318 - 10/19/15 08:50 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
I have been fishing in the winter in A-10 for 20 years and have never seen a closure like this. Is it intended to protect out-migrating smolts? I fished this weekend and caught several 16-18" shakers, these look like two year class blackmouth, not smolts.

And the seiners were out in Central A-10 yesterday....now that makes a lot of sense.....I feel better now.

#941319 - 10/19/15 08:53 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: Jerry Garcia]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
How many chinook encounters occur during chum targeted saltwater netting?

I believe the sunset on this proposal is December... Things that make one go Hmmm?

#941329 - 10/19/15 10:26 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: NickD90]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Muckleshafted again.

Is this what you are talking about: https://www.facebook.com/MuckleShaft-860098050741480/

#941335 - 10/19/15 11:17 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I just wish they would say it like it is instead of making excuses.

At least in the river closures for the Skagit and Stilly they said "Co-managers" made the decision.

This closure is DIRECT pressure from the tribes driven by an inability of the state to produce accurate and scientifically rigorous in season updates.
I want to be a fisherman.

#941418 - 10/20/15 08:36 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
This closure is DIRECT pressure from the tribes driven by an inability of the state to produce accurate and scientifically rigorous in season updates.

I wonder if the same reason holds true for fall/winter crabbing. According to the WDFW press release all areas reopened except area 10 with the only reason given, “Sport crabbing will not reopen at this time in Marine Area 10 (Seattle/Bremerton).”

It looks like some tribes believe area 10 is their own private fishing grounds.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#941818 - 10/23/15 10:32 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Priority2 Offline
Parr

They don't want you to fish for Coho because you might catch a king! NOT KEEP ONE! you might hook one and release it.
Now if you want to buy one and eat one now that is ok... just go on Craigslist...Puget Sound King Salmon for sale...

I have both Smoked and Fresh Frozen Alaskan Sockeye Salmon and a limited supply of Fresh Frozen Puget Sound King Salmon.
King Fillets: $14/lb. (packaged in 3/4lb. servings)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/fod/5267687837.html

I sure am glad the WDFW is protecting our resource from accidentally hooking one on a single barbless hook "the most deadly form of fishing"

"Closure to salmon fishing until further notice is needed to protect Endangered Species Act-listed sublegal chinook salmon that are being encountered incidentally by anglers at a higher rate than expected".

#941822 - 10/24/15 11:17 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

WDFW model shows that of all the 56 possible fisheries that fish over the limiting Lake Washington Chinook stock in this state, 74% are killed terminally as by-catch by the PS tribes.

If I want frozen fish, I go to my freezer. No Sale.

Edited by Lucky Louie (10/24/15 06:43 PM)

#941870 - 10/25/15 10:27 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
WDFW model shows that of all the 56 possible fisheries that fish over the limiting Lake Washington Chinook stock in this state, 74% are killed terminally as by-catch by the PS tribes.

Conservation to the Muckleshoots must mean everybody else’s responsibility but theirs. applause

#941942 - 10/26/15 10:29 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

According to the department, there was 2,385,600 pounds of Chinook harvested to date in 2015, which was almost split evenly between North and South PS commercials. Majority of these salmon caught in mixed fisheries and if divided by 15 lbs. average (maybe a little generous considering the size of the Chinook I caught in area 9 this year) there would have been a little over 159,000 Chinook caught commercially in Puget Sound.

The summer closure of area 10 and the cut harvest quota in area 9 for recreational anglers did nothing conservation wise but save a handful of paper fish. The closure and harvest cut that the WDFW and the Muckleshoots agreed to was ludicrous.

BUT OF COURSE, IMAGINE THAT, SURPRISE, SURPRISE,
the tribes and WDFW did agree to at least 159,000 commercially caught Chinook already harvested in PS this year.

The least they could do is reopen Area 10 and restore quotas next year for summer recreational anglers like planned at the last NOF meetings this year. Anything less is unacceptable.

Chop, Chop get busy Ron W. Start making smoke signals instead of blowing smoke up our ass as you did at the last NOF meetings.

#941984 - 10/26/15 02:49 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

The least they could do is reopen Area 10.

Agreed, since the fishery largely targets hatchery blackmouth, which we bought with our license fees. The smolts largely clear out in November, let's hope for a reopener or my boat may be for sale.

BTW, quite a few fishers have unfortunately not got the update on this closure....there were a few out front of my place yesterday, and quite a few shore fishers in Agate Pass. I'd hate to see someone get a ticket for this sham closure.

#942043 - 10/27/15 01:09 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

They are.......for chum.

Chum salmon fishing reopens in central Puget Sound beginning Wednesday (Oct. 28) through Jan. 31.

The area – commonly referred to anglers as Marine Catch Area 10 – was closed to all fishing on Oct. 19 after state Fish and Wildlife biologist said anglers were getting near the chinook encounter guideline ceiling.

State fisheries has now determined that a chum fishery in the area will have minimal interactions with chinook.

The daily limit will be two chum salmon. All chinook and coho must be released.

Most Read Stories
Mob attacks, robs woman and daughter near Capitol Hill
Seahawks corner back Richard Sherman reacts to a play in the first quarter as the…
Did the Seahawks’ use of Richard Sherman against 49ers represent shift in philosophy?
null
Russell Wilson dresses up as Batman for Ciara’s 30th birthday
null
Seahawks’ Paul Richardson returns to practice, could play Sunday
Octogenarian property owner spends $150,755 to take on Move Seattle levy

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

Mark Yuasa: 206-464-8780 or myuasa@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @markkyuasa. Mark Yuasa covers fishing and outdoors in the Pacific Northwest.

#942044 - 10/27/15 01:20 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

I'm puzzled......since smolts generally occupy the upper water column and favored tackle for chum is a small herring or hootchie, how will this reduce interactions? Perhaps merely because of the general lack of effort on chum by boat bound fishers?

#942052 - 10/27/15 03:37 PM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: GutZ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
2015, the year of the Chumpy fishery.

First we were bombarded with our pink prospects for the year, next we were left picking up the Chums (pun intended).
I want to be a fisherman.

#942093 - 10/28/15 11:20 AM Re: Marine Area 10 will close to salmon fishing [Re: Chip Goodhue]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Chip Goodhue
I'm puzzled......since smolts generally occupy the upper water column and favored tackle for chum is a small herring or hootchie, how will this reduce interactions? Perhaps merely because of the general lack of effort on chum by boat bound fishers?

The direct MSF of blackmouth is what seems to have govern the closure not fishing for chum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |