Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955452 - 04/09/16 11:00 AM trolling motor/battery
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

im gonna go buy a motor and battery today i think, wanting a 40# thrust because the 30# MK motors only have 30 inch shafts and i want a longer shaft...

whats a good starting point for a battery? im not paying for an Optima, would like to keep it fairly cheap, just using it for this year likely then will go another route next year...

also, if anyone has a 40,50, or 55 # thrust motor (good shape please) for a decent price and you see this within an hour or so and want to sell it, im interested...

#955455 - 04/09/16 11:47 AM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Get a good battery charger/maintainer. It will make the battery last a lot longer and keep it at full charge for whenever you want to go. With the good ones you just leave the battery hooked up all the time in the garage.

The other hugely useful aspect of the good chargers/maintainers is that when you hook up a battery after a fishing session it will tell you what the charge is at. This will allow you to actually know how much use you can get out of the battery before it dies on the water. After going out and trolling for 4 hours it is nice to see how much juice you had left for next time out in case you want to fish 6 hours.

The last few years I am really starting to appreciate a good electric motor setup and a small light boat you can drop into any lake, especially without a boat launch, and than slow cruising, watching the wildlife, and hopefully catching some really nice trout.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#955456 - 04/09/16 12:02 PM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm exploring a similar deal for my drift boat but after talking to numerous friends who have the same, it looks I'll be looking at something in the 24 volt(2 battery) 70-80lb thrust dept. Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read says spend the money on a good charger for the reasons stated above.

I have a question though. If I go with a 24 volt, 2 battery setup, how do you go about keeping them "maintained" with one charger?

#955457 - 04/09/16 12:22 PM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: 5 * General Evo]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I think I have 3 or 4 of them. I don't need but 1.

fp

#955459 - 04/09/16 04:52 PM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Just went with the 30 for now, I can find a 50 or 55 soon enough for a good price... Now just need the battery...

#955462 - 04/09/16 07:17 PM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: 5 * General Evo]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
I have a Minnkota 80# motor and had a Minnkota ~50# before. Bigger motor and the two batteries gives you lots more power and time than the smaller units.

For batteries I just got some generic equivalents at a big box store and keep them topped up with the onboard Minnkota charger. So far so good.

Enjoy the stealth option Evo!

#955497 - 04/10/16 02:13 PM Re: trolling motor/battery [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Got a good (new basically) deep cycle from MAD, thanks bud, got a Stanley 1.5 amp charger/maintainer, so I'm good for a bit....

May try for kokes in the morning, probably the only day I can for now...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |