Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955981 - 04/19/16 10:06 PM Dear Gov. Inslee
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Dear Gov. Inslee:

Recently, I purchased a combination fishing license, hoping to continue my lifetime pursuit of salmon and steelhead along the ocean shores and river stream banks of Washington State. As I understand it, the current political stalemate between fisheries co-management groups might lead to the curtailing of fishery opportunities for recreational fishermen in Puget Sound. I urge you to consider the social and economic impacts such a prohibition might entail.

Besides fuel, besides bait, besides dock fees and watercraft licensing, besides the restaurant and hospitality industry dollars that I willingly (gleefully!) shed each year, there is another balance to be tallied: the soul of the resident of Washington State. Who has been raised to take a fish or two by rod and reel for the Sunday dinner table. Who has learned to smoke fish, and send vac-packed samples to relatives in Wisconsin. Who is willing to trudge along miles of muddy riverbank in the rain, fueled by a gas-station burrito and quickly-cooling cup of weak coffee, yet trudging nonetheless, because the fish are there, or might be there, and because Netflix-and-Chill is decidedly not.

Alas, the soul of Washington lies in its waterways, in its wildlife, in its salmon and steelhead—not in Netflix. I heartily encourage you to undertake whatever means you deem best to protect the rights of Washington’s recreational fishermen in these troubling times. Our very souls depend upon our fisheries.

Don’t have to walk very far down a Puget Sound beach to hear a couple of seagulls screaming at each other over the last scrap of fish. Sometimes, most of what parades as management science sounds much alike. (And I apologize here if this is but one more scream in the cacophony.)

Thanks for your patient consideration—

Maurice Austin
Eastsound, WA

#955988 - 04/19/16 10:44 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

:APPLAUSE:

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#955998 - 04/20/16 08:40 AM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Well stated fishkisser99! Thank You for expressing what many here are thinking at the moment!

#956020 - 04/20/16 10:54 AM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
like!

#956024 - 04/20/16 12:56 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: bhudda]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Nicely stated sir thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#956025 - 04/20/16 01:27 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Very nice polite letter. Well written.

The governor knows the importance of recreational fishing on Puget Sound. And so does the Director of WDFW. His job depends on it.

And the Puget Sound and Oly Pen Tribes know how important fish and fishing is to their culture and society.

When fish returns are low, competition for scarce resources becomes difficult and contentious. That's where we are now. But with some patience and understanding, both sides will come to a resolution; and fishing will occur. Nobody will get everything they want. Nobody will be completely happy. But everyone will understand how important these fish are to their interests. I'm optimistic about a deal for Puget Sound. But let's not expect recreational anglers to get everything they want.

And if you want to get a better sense of the concerns of the Tribes, do an internet search on "Treaty Rights At Risk". Read the issues the Tribes have brought to the Federal government, and have asked for specific actions. The focus is on habitat, but the real problem is the lack of fish.

To wit: At the time of the Boldt decision, the Tribes were getting 2% of the available salmon harvest. Because of Judge Boldt, they subsequently got 50% of the harvest (as we all know). But as of 2015, 50% of the current harvest is LESS (in numbers of salmon) than the 2% they were getting in 1975 when Judge Boldt issued his famous decision! That's how far the salmon stocks have fallen in the past 40 years. The Tribes are well aware of this, but I'm a bit surprised how few people on this BB are.

#956026 - 04/20/16 02:17 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

2 X 0 = 0

#956027 - 04/20/16 03:10 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
What cohoangler says is true, to a point. How many Indians (or non-Indians) were sharing the fish in '74? Even returning to '74 levels of total harvest will probably mean that each individual gets fewer (on average) fish.

In parts of the Skeena, the fastest growing human population segment is the First Nations, with subsistence fishing rights. At some point. even if they get all the fish, there won't be enough to sustain them and the ecosystem.

Edited by Carcassman (04/20/16 03:11 PM)

#956037 - 04/20/16 08:11 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: cohoangler]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: cohoangler

To wit: At the time of the Boldt decision, the Tribes were getting 2% of the available salmon harvest. Because of Judge Boldt, they subsequently got 50% of the harvest (as we all know). But as of 2015, 50% of the current harvest is LESS (in numbers of salmon) than the 2% they were getting in 1975 when Judge Boldt issued his famous decision! That's how far the salmon stocks have fallen in the past 40 years. The Tribes are well aware of this, but I'm a bit surprised how few people on this BB are.

HMMM ... today's 50% tribal share translates to less salmon than the original 2% share pre-Boldt, a decline of at least 25-fold.

The corollary to this is that the 98% whitey used to get before Boldt would amount to more than 49 times the salmon in today's currrent 50% share.

Sad beyond belief.

People suck.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#956040 - 04/20/16 09:15 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Apologies if letter seemed insensitive, or if following does.

Percent means share of available, not share of what used to be available. A claim based on numbers, rather than on percent, is a useful plea to ethos, but has no bearing on logos. Or in law.

We're all buffalo hunters here, no? And shocked at how small the range has become, and so suddenly!

What is the end game here?

#956042 - 04/20/16 09:22 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
What is the end? End market hunting. If the salmon are a resource for the citizens of Washington state then WTF are we supplying Las Vegas and New York with our resource? They eat while we starve.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#956070 - 04/21/16 12:58 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: fishkisser99

We're all buffalo hunters here, no? And shocked at how small the range has become, and so suddenly!

Why'd the buffalo hunters quit? It wasn't shrinking range, it was because they damn near wiped them out. That's the correlation. Killing and taking a resource at an unsustainable, albeit efficient, rate. MONEY

Only this time around the tribes were complicit in the destruction of the symbol and spirit that represented a once great people.

Edited by RowVsWade (04/21/16 12:59 PM)

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#956084 - 04/21/16 02:20 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Hi How Are Ya?
Hi How Are Ya?
Hi How Are Ya?

#956091 - 04/21/16 08:46 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: RowVsWade]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Originally Posted By: fishkisser99

Why'd the buffalo hunters quit? It wasn't shrinking range, it was because they damn near wiped them out. That's the correlation. Killing and taking a resource at an unsustainable, albeit efficient, rate. MONEY

Only this time around the tribes were complicit in the destruction of the symbol and spirit that represented a once great people.

+1 here tonight! Unfortunately it is all about the $$$$$

#956093 - 04/21/16 09:47 PM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

No problem. Now that there are no fish the price will go up, people will buy less of them and they will come back.

#956100 - 04/22/16 09:58 AM Re: Dear Gov. Inslee [Re: fishkisser99]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Does this mean fishing websites will suffer?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |