Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#847922 - 07/14/13 08:34 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Jason Beezuz]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Thought I'd bring this back up.
So the tomatoes are doing well based on my less then stellar track record of growing them. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
SF

#847943 - 07/14/13 11:07 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: stonefish]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Mine are okay, but not great. iI have had about five ripe so far - all from Glacier. These are small and only slightly better than what we get at Safeway, which is dim praise indeed. The next flavorful ones are still at least two weeks away.

#847972 - 07/15/13 11:12 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Dave Vedder]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
I grow several varieties of tomatoes every year. This year I have 2 Italian sweets (small roma looking, great flavor), 2 Glaciers, 1 sungold, 1 roma, 1 sweet million, 1 early girl, 1 bush early girl, and 1 stupice. I get lots of sun at my place and water all plants by hand. They are doing exceptionally well this year thanks to the great weather.

DV's tips are spot on, plus to quicken the end of season ripening...don't water at all.

#847973 - 07/15/13 11:26 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I've been trying to keep my girl from watering them...she sees all those big fruits on them and can't help herself from thinking they are about to die if she doesn't water them thoroughly. Thanks to Dave, she now believes me smile

Anyone grow many peppers? I know this is not a good climate for them, but I have a few plants, two of which actually have a nice pepper each growing on them. I never water them, either...am I doing it right on those?

I figure I'd water them if they start to severely wilt but we get enough moisture here in the air overnight and in the mornings that they haven't wilted at all yet.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#847974 - 07/15/13 11:27 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

P.S. I have an heirloom Roma of some sort in a bucket and it not only has 24 fruits on a plant that's about two feet tall, it adds one to three every day. The biggest ones are nearly maximum sized, about four inches long and pretty thick throughout. Never been fed, and hasn't been watered since it was first planted a couple of months ago.

#847976 - 07/15/13 12:00 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Todd]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Todd,
I grow jalapenos, this year three varieties...regular, mucho nacho, and mammoth. The mammoth is a new to me, but the plant is healthy. Fruit comes on in August. Favorite way to eat them is to cut them in the half length-wise, scoop out seeds, fill each half with goat cheese, wrap each half in bacon.....grill slow and low. Wash them down with ice cold beer and life is good.
Snake

#848003 - 07/15/13 03:56 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Snake Pliskin]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Snake,
That pepper recipe sounds great. May have to try that next year.
SF

#848033 - 07/15/13 07:09 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: stonefish]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

SF,
They are really good, but don't wait until next year. I get my goat cheese at Costco or Trader Joes, jalapenos you can buy at markets if you don't grow any. The trick with the bacon is to par boil it first so it's fairly cooked but still pliable to wrap the pepper. I usually use a toothpick to keep it all together. I place them on a mesh grill that sits on my barbecue grill. Dipping sauce is a sweet red pepper jam that Pasta & company sells.....stuff goes well on anything, even hamburgers.
Snake

#848034 - 07/15/13 07:15 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I don't have any problem with eating peppers...I want to find out if I am growing them correctly!

Originally Posted By: Todd

Anyone grow many peppers? I know this is not a good climate for them, but I have a few plants, two of which actually have a nice pepper each growing on them. I never water them, either...am I doing it right on those?

I figure I'd water them if they start to severely wilt but we get enough moisture here in the air overnight and in the mornings that they haven't wilted at all yet.

Fish on...

Todd

#848035 - 07/15/13 07:18 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Todd]
*Nate*
Unregistered

you can water them once a day Todd depending on heat will determine how much... a good option is to install a soaker hose into the garden bed and then just grab your hose, connect to it, and turn it on for a bit....

this way you arent watering the foliage, and leaving beads which can cause severe burning depending on how much sun you get...water in the morning, so the plants can suck it up and use it during the day...

#848036 - 07/15/13 07:24 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: ]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

I water my jalapenos daily and they get lots of sun. I also hit them will Miracle Gro mixed with water occasionally. I have 10 plants in the ground and two in pots, they do equally well.

BTW, my two beds of walla walla's are rocking. Beer tempura batter, deep fried onion rings very soon.

#848369 - 07/17/13 12:01 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
As an organic option to Miracle Gro for veggies we're gonna eat, we amend with organic okara (soy pulp). Picked a couple of 5 gallon buckets for *free* at the local plant in February. When you see how big and healthy your veggies get by comparison, you'll say "Holy soy shizl!" too. Don't have to worry about the Monsanto effect either....

#848394 - 07/17/13 01:31 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Driftin']
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm starting to see more significant growth of my plants, and I stopped picking off the flowers that they said to do early on, along with the suckers, to promote better plant growth. I'm not watering them as heavily either, but a soaker hose runs through them on the way to other plants on the next terrace level.

#848397 - 07/17/13 01:37 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Salmo g.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I am NEVER concerned about growth on my tomato plants, and I do not understand the idea of picking off blooms. If we don't get fruit on blooms by August 15th its unlikely they will mature.

I want to repeat someones earlier advise about Late Blight. If you h get a hard rain on your toms after mid August there is a good chance you will be wiped out by late blight. Tomatoes need to be covered to keep off late summer rains. If late blight hits you will lose all your plants almost overnight.

Edited by Dave Vedder (07/17/13 01:41 PM)

#848485 - 07/17/13 09:54 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Dave Vedder]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
As much as I would like to have shown pictures of my wanna be vegie garden this year.... I'm just to emmbarrased to even show what a pitiful effort it has become... Nothing more than a damn fool weed patch is what I have to show for this year.

Strike Zone's wife must be related to mine. Caint even keep a cactus alive in the freakin desert, cause a cactus doesn't ever have to be watered... right?.

#848518 - 07/18/13 01:54 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: ]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was told by a master gardener from WSU Skagit CountyMaster Gardener Program that the blight is in the soil and gets splashed up onto tomato plants by the rain or watering. She said to prevent this put some plastic on the ground under and around the plants. I haven't tried this because I grow all my tomatoes in a green house so I can't say that it works for sure.

#848520 - 07/18/13 02:09 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Keta]
*Nate*
Unregistered

blight can also be in the water, so if you gather your own rainwater, pay attention...

blight is a fungi, its spores spread throughout the air, just like all other molds and fungi... but it can also be in the water...

and, it can also be in the soil as you said...

you never want to splash any plants with dirt, if you are splashing your plants hard enough for dirt to end up on the leaves to cause blight, then you are watering your plants way too violently....

people think that "it will make them tougher" well, it can and does the exact opposite, you will get less fruit and it wont be as good...

as far as greenhouses, you can get every single type of pathogen in a greenhouse as you can in outside... they are EVERYWHERE... they are on you right now, as we speak...

treat your plants with respect, and they will reward you with their fruits...

i just proved this to my GF this year, by not gardening this year and letting her do it.... guess who won the comp?

chuck the Miracle Grow and go and get some organic "house blend" hydro nutrients from your local hydro store, and thank me later.... smile

#848528 - 07/18/13 03:21 AM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: ]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sounds like you know your stuff.
I don't have any problems with blight because all I grow now are Sungolds. By growing them in the greenhouse I have a steady supply into November.

#853706 - 08/23/13 07:22 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: Keta]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Now that's what I call Harvest!
(I once heard the Evangelist Ernest Angley say that at an African Missionary Gathering. It was hilarious. I used to enjoy laughing at him)

This is Dad with a bowl full of Black Japanese Triffle

This is another really cool one call Indigo Blue or Blue Cherry

#854007 - 08/26/13 12:36 PM Re: Growing Tomatoes [Re: GutZ]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
This is a favorite - German Queen

These have done really well this year. We have 3 or 4 of these plants around - Campari

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, Excitable Bob), 1334 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |