Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#965156 - 09/29/16 02:08 PM salmon on the grill
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

does anybody have a good recipe for grilling salmon? I have done the plank thing but want to try other ways.

thanks

#965192 - 09/30/16 08:08 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If the salmon is good don't need much more than salt, pepper and some garlic powder.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#965232 - 09/30/16 06:26 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: Jerry Garcia]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Place fillet on tin foil or cookie sheet, A little lemon juice some johnnys seasoning salt, minced garlic and a smoker box on the burner.

#965520 - 10/06/16 08:32 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
Try painting fillets with some of that Papa Johns garlic butter dip.

#965545 - 10/06/16 04:35 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: chasbo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wish I had somethin' tested for you, but I don't do fish on my Webers.
I did find an Ivar's copy-cat that sounds pretty (read very) good...

Grilled Salmon with Citrus Butter: This recipe, adapted from a recipe used by Ivar’s Salmon House in Seattle, turned out to be simple, delicious and ideal for Copper River sockeye.

The fish is sprinkled with lemon pepper and salt and then quickly grilled over hot coals with wood smoke.

It’s a classic Northwest recipe, with one added special touch: You baste the fish with citrus butter, which is melted butter mixed with orange, lemon and lime juice. The citrus tang, along with the sweet smell of alder smoke, is what makes the grilled salmon at Ivar’s Salmon House salmon such a Seattle favorite.

#965563 - 10/07/16 08:02 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

cool will try all of these suggestions. you're right jerry, but there are sig others that would disagree.

#965606 - 10/07/16 04:47 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Hard to go wrong with a compound butter like the one in DD's lifted recipe (I guess the article calls for melted butter, I think it was likely applied as a solid butter, melted then basted back over the fish).

Compound butters are cool because they are totally open ended, easy to make and easier to use. I like to use various wine/spirit/vinegar reductions in mine as a way to carry strong flavor (and color) in a low volume while not loosening the consistency of the butter. At work we do a Lobster stock reduction that is the [Bleeeeep!], especially when worked into a compound butter.

They can be used on anything and stored in the freezer for long periods of time if rolled out and wrapped properly.

#966477 - 10/21/16 12:20 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Good tip, ReefSkunk. Compound butters are more or less the tried and true flavoring for grilled fish at restaurants, and they taste good in all kinds of stuff.

If you really like salmon (don't try to mask the flavor so you like it), salt, pepper, and a mixture of minced garlic and peanut oil (or other, flavorful oil with a high smoke point) is about as good as it gets. This is how I usually eat chinook.

I usually like to add a few, subtle flavors to coho. Seasoned the same way, with a citrus butter or similar at the end is usually good. I also like it with a puttanesca sauce over the top, but I like all those briney, Mediterranean flavors; your mileage may vary.

The best coho I ever cooked was an accident I haven't been able to recreate since. Basically, I made a butter with herbes de Provence, garlic, shallots, and lemon zest. The plan was to baste the fish after flipping, and put some more butter over the top while plating. I got distracted while cooking, and i left the grill unattended for a few minutes. When I came back, there was a small fire in the grill. After a few, choice explitives, i opened the lid and blew out the flames. The fish had a beautiful, brown crust on the flesh side. A little more butter, on to the plate, and BAM!, a delicate, salty crunch, immediately followed by a veritable explosion of buttery, herby omega 3, with just enough twang from the lemon zest to complete the trifecta. It was awesome. I'm not sure i'll ever find the right balance between searing and on fire to recreate the magic again, but I can tell you that even without the crunch, that recipe is a winner. It's even better with chanterelles sauteed in pinot noir and finished with some of the butter. Drink the rest of the pinot noir for additional euphoria.

#966489 - 10/21/16 01:44 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Good tip, ReefSkunk. Compound butters are more or less the tried and true flavoring for grilled fish at restaurants, and they taste good in all kinds of stuff.

If you really like salmon (don't try to mask the flavor so you like it), salt, pepper, and a mixture of minced garlic and peanut oil (or other, flavorful oil with a high smoke point) is about as good as it gets. This is how I usually eat chinook.

I usually like to add a few, subtle flavors to coho. Seasoned the same way, with a citrus butter or similar at the end is usually good. I also like it with a puttanesca sauce over the top, but I like all those briney, Mediterranean flavors; your mileage may vary.

The best coho I ever cooked was an accident I haven't been able to recreate since. Basically, I made a butter with herbes de Provence, garlic, shallots, and lemon zest. The plan was to baste the fish after flipping, and put some more butter over the top while plating. I got distracted while cooking, and i left the grill unattended for a few minutes. When I came back, there was a small fire in the grill. After a few, choice explitives, i opened the lid and blew out the flames. The fish had a beautiful, brown crust on the flesh side. A little more butter, on to the plate, and BAM!, a delicate, salty crunch, immediately followed by a veritable explosion of buttery, herby omega 3, with just enough twang from the lemon zest to complete the trifecta. It was awesome. I'm not sure i'll ever find the right balance between searing and on fire to recreate the magic again, but I can tell you that even without the crunch, that recipe is a winner. It's even better with chanterelles sauteed in pinot noir and finished with some of the butter. Drink the rest of the pinot noir for additional euphoria.

Yep, that dang accidental victory.

I'm a charcoal cooker and lately the "Vortex" has been all the rage.
It's a simple device that can concentrate extreme heat.
It might be a way to duplicate your magic...
http://vortexbbq.com/about/

Another way might be to use a propane torch with a spread flame head to approximate what the flare-up did.

#966492 - 10/21/16 01:54 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Good thoughts, double D. Honestly, I think the fish, itself was of exceptional quality when I hit the home run, and that may have had the most to do with the end result. But hey, any reason to use a propane torch is a good reason.

#966502 - 10/21/16 04:03 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

This isn't really a recipe or very fancy, but it turns ordinary grilled salmon into something amazing. Butter, grill and add seasoning.

I recently bought four bottles of it because it was discontinued for about two or three years.

http://johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/product/orange-dill-rub-10-oz/
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#967018 - 10/31/16 01:51 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
We eat so much grilled or baked salmon at home I venture away from the original butter salt pepper recipe quite a bit. More for variety than not liking the flavor.

2 great and easy go-to's of ours are:

BBQ Sauce glaze. I paint the fillet with soy sauce for salt/flavor rather than salt, then glaze it with my favorite BBQ sauce. Grill and enjoy, its really good.

Second is mayonnaise. Sounds funky but think FAT. Salmon is not very fatty, hence adding oil or butter to it. I do the same paint with soy sauce, then glaze with mayonnaise or chipotle mayo. To that you can add all sorts of things if'n you're feeling gluttonous. I have done mayo, backon crumbles, and parmesean cheese, then cooked the whole thing in the Treager for added smoke flavouring.

For those guests or family that do not prefer the classic oil and salt flavor the above 2 recipes are sure to please. I've been told on more occasion than one that the "loaded" version with mayo, baco, and cheese was the "best salmon they've ever had".
I want to be a fisherman.

#967169 - 11/02/16 12:10 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
The World's Best Salmon Sauce (Salmon Gravy)

(Endorsed by the Paker and the Bucket Family)

Ingredients:

1 cube butter
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP French's Yellow Mustard
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

Melt the butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Once melted, add and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes.

Prepare salmon in to two fillets.

Get the BBQ smoking hot. Place the fillets meat side down directly on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the fillets over on to the skin side and baste with the sauce. Cook until the fish is finished.

#969962 - 12/18/16 11:08 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I was skeptical of paker's salmon gravy - it looked to me like it might overpower the flavor of the fish.

Then one of my buddies who hates everything told me I had to give it a try, so I did.

It really is fantastic. No lie.

I, too, endorse this sauce.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#973275 - 02/14/17 11:46 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
I just eyeball this recipe, so I have no measurements. A little mayo to hold everything together (not a ton). Thai fish sauce, stone ground mustard, lemon juice and dried dill. Spread sauce over filet and grill until sauce barely starts to evaporate and turn golden. Works well in the oven too at 350 if your lazy.

#973940 - 02/27/17 11:12 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
soak in yoshida's for 1-2 hrs, let dry, sprinkle with Smoke House Maple seasoning and grill, (Weber) with alder chips,

#974137 - 03/03/17 12:05 AM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: Direct-Drive]
gulliver Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Wish I had somethin' tested for you, but I don't do fish on my Webers.
I did find an Ivar's copy-cat that sounds pretty (read very) good...

Grilled Salmon with Citrus Butter: This recipe, adapted from a recipe used by Ivar’s Salmon House in Seattle, turned out to be simple, delicious and ideal for Copper River sockeye.

The fish is sprinkled with lemon pepper and salt and then quickly grilled over hot coals with wood smoke.

It’s a classic Northwest recipe, with one added special touch: You baste the fish with citrus butter, which is melted butter mixed with orange, lemon and lime juice. The citrus tang, along with the sweet smell of alder smoke, is what makes the grilled salmon at Ivar’s Salmon House salmon such a Seattle favorite.

Sounds tasty recipe, will try this next time.

#1002486 - 01/30/19 02:37 PM Re: salmon on the grill [Re: dwatkins]
SpoonFed Offline
Three Time Spawner

3tbs Dijon mustard, 1tbs mayo, 2tsp soy sauce schmeered on a half of a fillet. Crumble 1tbs brown sugar on top. Grilled on a cedar plank. Stupidly delicious.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |