THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 65 of 81 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 80 81 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#972104 - 01/26/17 03:08 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) *** [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Free agent Offensive Lineman...per Field Gulls:

Whenever the Seattle Seahawks offensive line deficiency is brought up, it’s almost always followed by a qualifier along the lines of: “With all the money spent on Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, Jimmy Graham and the defensive stars, somewhere has to suffer.”

And suffer the offensive line has. As has the running game, the offense as a whole, and oh, I don’t know, Wilson’s pectoral, knee and ankle. Not to mention the sanity of the thousands that flinch each and every time a defender flies, unblocked, into Wilson.

The problem I have with the ideology behind the offensive line spending isn’t how little the team spends. It’s who they spend it on. Instead of Evan Mathis, it’s J’Marcus Webb. Instead of Matt Slauson, it’s Bradley Sowell. Not only have the Seahawks spent the better part of five years shopping in the bargain bin, they’ve been doing it blindfolded.

Prior to Seattle’s divisional round game against the Atlanta Falcons, Pete Carroll dropped a small tidbit into one of his press conferences that perhaps signaled a change on the horizon.

If the Seahawks’ apparent interest in Alex Mack last off-season tells us anything, it’s that Seattle isn’t totally gun-shy when it comes to spending big money on offensive lineman. If the fit and the talent are right, then the Seahawks could be willing to dish out a big contract to bring them in.

In Mack, Seattle would’ve had one of the best and most ideal zone blocking scheme centers, something the Falcons enjoyed with great success in 2016. While the Seahawks did still get plus-play from center Justin Britt, Atlanta finished tenth in Football Outsiders’ Adjusted Line Yards and seventh in rushing DVOA. The Mack-less Seattle Seahawks finished 26th and 23rd in those categories respectively.

With a shift in Seattle’s offensive line spending potentially coming, who are a few free agents we might see the team target?

Matt Kalil, Left Tackle, Minnesota Vikings

The universe is a cruel, cruel mistress, so it would only be fitting that the Seahawks could bring in a 3-5 million dollar tackle and it be Matt Kalil. Kalil, in case you don’t know, has been a massive disappointment since being selected fourth-overall in 2012. He had a promising-if-not-steady rookie year, but has progressively gotten worse to the point where his placement on injured reserve and eventual replacement by the Black Knight from Monty Python Jake Long this season was seen as an upgrade.

Why might Seattle be interested in Kalil then? For starters, Pete Carroll recruited and coached both he and his older brother Ryan while at USC. Both Carroll and Tom Cable have shown a tendency to lean towards familiarity on the offensive line in the past.

During the pre-draft process, Kalil tested well for a player of his size at 6’6” and 303 pounds. More importantly, he hit on one of the three offensive lineman ideals - 9-foot broad jump, 31-inch vertical and 27 reps on the bench press - outlined by Cable and Carroll. While his vertical jump was just short of the 31-inches Cable has previously mentioned, and he didn’t attempt the broad jump, his 30 reps on the bench press clears the team’s preference.

Kevin Zeitler, Right Guard, Cincinnati Bengals

It appears as though last year’s first-round pick, Germain Ifedi, is sticking at guard in 2017. With Ifedi’s expected improvement in year two, Britt being an above-average NFL center, and Mark Glowinski being like, the third least of the Seahawks ‘offensive line problems, the team is probably OK in the interior for another season - or at least in their eyes.

If something changes - be it a move to tackle for Ifedi or something else - guard Kevin Zeitler would be a great option to strengthen the middle. He would cost more than Kalil - likely somewhere between 6-8 million dollars annually - but he would also immediately become the best lineman on the roster.

The Bengals need to try to re-sign veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth, unless they want to double down on Cedric Ogbuehi for another season, and just gave left guard Clint Boling a new deal last offseason. These factors could lead to Zietler - he of 71 career starts - being allowed to walk in free agency.

Similar to Kalil, Zeitler hits on the bench press ideal, and just barely misses on the vertical jump. His broad jump of 8’5” is half a foot short of the 9-feet stated by Cable, but certainly athletic enough to be a welcome addition to Seattle’s offensive line.

Ricky Wagner, Right Tackle, Baltimore Ravens

Back-to-back former Wisconsin Badgers that have a history of protecting Russell Wilson! Wagner would be the best addition, and certainly the most expensive. Playing and starting for peanuts the majority of his career as a fifth-round pick, Wagner rightfully will use this off-season to presumably maximize his earnings and go to the highest bidder. The Seahawks are most likely not in a position to be that team but hey, dare to dream.

I would imagine once he hits the open market that Wagner will become a top-5 paid right tackle in the league, with a deal falling somewhere close to the one that Mitchell Schwartz got from the Kansas City Chiefs last off-season. With an average of six-million dollars a year, Seattle wouldn’t have to break the bank to bring him into the fold. While Schwartz’s deal is a good template to go off of, Wagner’s price may have been driven even higher based off the All-Pro level play the Chiefs got out of Schwartz this year.

Wagner essentially follows the same trend that Zeitler and Kalil did as far as the offensive lineman ideals go. He clears one, and is a near-miss on the other two. Wagner’s vertical of 31.5” basically nails what Cable outlined, with his bench press (20) and broad jump (8’5”) just missing.

Although a little veteran depth would be a welcome addition - Jahri Evans, anyone? - I think the Seahawks are going to be okay at the interior of their offensive line in 2017. Ifedi will continue to grow, Britt is more than serviceable, and Glowinski has the athletic ability and football IQ to become an OK NFL starter.

It’s on the outside where the team has gambled massively on complete unknowns that worries me. At a time where seemingly every team has a pass rusher capable of pinning his ears back and getting to the quarterback, Seattle has offered them a green-light rather than a competent tackle to stand in their way.

Pete Carroll has all but told us they’re ready and willing to invest money into the offensive line if the fit is right, and this off-season is the time for Cable, Carroll and John Schneider to go find the right fit, and find Russell Wilson some help.

- Albert Einstein.

#972418 - 02/01/17 06:07 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

What free agents do you want signed by the Hawks?

I definitely want to see Reece back. I would love to see him with a full off season and OTA with the team.

I am 50/50 on Tony McDaniel and here is why. I really think this team needs a 3 tech DT that not only provides good run support on early downs, but also provides pass rush. My number one target would be Calais Campbell. What he would provide to the DL and defense as a whole would be so impactful. This front office has shown they will go after DL in FA, and Campbell is the kind of guy they would go after. Proven havoc maker, proven team leader, and has a ton of "street cred" that would provide instant respect from others in the locker room. So, I would first go after a guy like him. If it didn't work out I would look to bring back Tony on a 1 year deal to hedge for the draft. To me, other than big time key FA signings or re signings...FA is more about hedging your roster. The key is going into the draft without having to panic on certain positions.

Luke is gone in my opinion. He is a nice player, but I suspect he actually has a decent market and with the depth we have at TE and other holes on the roster I imagine a separation there. I would bring back Brandon Williams on a 1 year minimum type of deal (again to hedge our draft). I still think we see a TE drafted somewhere.

I would bring Hausch back on a short, small deal that is easy to get out of. It would not stop me from bringing in competition for camp though.

I think I would bring Mike Morgan back at a cheap price as well. Again, a spot you hope to upgrade in the draft but a nice hedge to have in case that guy never falls to you at the right spot.

I am OK either way on Jeron Johnson. Probably a lot cheaper than bringing back Mccrae at this point so going into the draft with him as our # 2 we could do a lot worse. But Safety is a position I am looking to attack in the draft either way. Most stacked DB class in a long time so even if he is brought back I would hope a young guy comes in and makes it hard to keep Jeron.

- Albert Einstein.

#972420 - 02/01/17 06:18 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Who's opinion did you copy/paste?

#972439 - 02/01/17 09:34 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Thanks for the endorsement.

- Albert Einstein.

#972440 - 02/01/17 09:37 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Anything to add lard ass ? Or has your brain turned to plain mush? Did you apply for your Wa food stamps yet? rofl

- Albert Einstein.

#972639 - 02/05/17 03:25 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Good job off sides. mad

Michael Bennett suspended for PED violation. Source:

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Squigl ... AhDi8P8HAQ

- Albert Einstein.

#972640 - 02/05/17 03:34 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Good job off sides. mad

Michael Bennett suspended for PED violation. Source:

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Squigl ... AhDi8P8HAQ

Derm store? Stocking up on lotion Sol Duc?

#972641 - 02/05/17 03:42 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

No he's not suspended... Smh

#972951 - 02/09/17 01:55 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

we just signed Blair Walsh.....

not sure if its just for competition for Hauschka, or they want to continue missing sh!t....

#972963 - 02/09/17 03:24 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Well get back in the locker room and figure it out!!!!!!!!

#972983 - 02/09/17 08:54 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Un @#$%& ing believable. Hawks need huge help with their O line, more DB/S (Lane couldn't cover me in a check out line at Safeway), a big WR and we go out and get shankmaster Walsh. Hauschka is fine, he just needs a better line and some encouragement, Carroll!
The wheels on this bus go round and round and are starting to fall off. I was done with the Hawks after THE pass in the SB. But I peek and see what they are doing and it's a cluster-@#$%.
Go Huskies!

#972984 - 02/09/17 09:07 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Snake Pliskin
Un @#$%& ing believable. Hawks need huge help with their O line, more DB/S (Lane couldn't cover me in a check out line at Safeway), a big WR and we go out and get shankmaster Walsh. Hauschka is fine, he just needs a better line and some encouragement, Carroll!
The wheels on this bus go round and round and are starting to fall off. I was done with the Hawks after THE pass in the SB. But I peek and see what they are doing and it's a cluster-@#$%.
Go Huskies!

Which team was it that beat both teams that played in the SB this year?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#972985 - 02/09/17 09:37 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Seriously? Didn't know the Lombardi Trophy was given to teams with two big wins during the season. Do they give out championships for the journey or the final act. Champions win championships, losers may win some big games along the way, pat themselves on the back for doing so and then end up watching the championship on their big screen eating nachos.
You're definitely a "everybody gets a trophy for participating" guy. Congrats, high five yourself.

#972986 - 02/09/17 09:50 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
I just meant they have potential snowflake.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#973129 - 02/12/17 09:28 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Hawks sign kicker Blair Walsh from the Vikings...he did win one game for us. smile

We already have a kicker who misses field goals and cost us regular season games. Why are we signing a kicker to potentially lose a playoff game? This is an absolute joke of a signing! What is next, signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson? crazy

Edited by Sol Duc (02/12/17 09:29 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#973131 - 02/12/17 10:23 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Hawks sign kicker Blair Walsh from the Vikings...he did win one game for us. smile

We already have a kicker who misses field goals and cost us regular season games. Why are we signing a kicker to potentially lose a playoff game? This is an absolute joke of a signing! What is next, signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson? crazy

Because they aren't going to bring Haushka back unless he's willing to take significantly less money than he was making. He didn't earn his $3M cap hit this year and is a free agent. This is one of the places where the Hawks will make up some cap space to bring in a veteran lineman or two. Worst case is that he's competition for Haushka or whoever else we bring in.

#973166 - 02/13/17 06:50 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

I keep wavering on this.I have a feeling he might take a decent pay cut to stay,but then why sign a new kicker. Sounds like Pete has already made is mind up. It's too bad, the guy was automatic until last season.

I doubt his phone will be ringing off the hook from other teams.

Edited by Sol Duc (02/13/17 06:52 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#973169 - 02/13/17 07:36 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

This corner could be playing opposite of Sherman. Sounds like a Hawk.

http://12thmanrising.com/2017/02/12/seahawks-offseason-dont-sleep-pierre-desir-cb/

- Albert Einstein.

#973270 - 02/14/17 09:43 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Hawks warned! We won't be losing our second round pick. beer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...njury-violation

- Albert Einstein.

#973820 - 02/24/17 12:48 PM Re: Official SEAHAWK THREAD ((((((((())))))))))) [Re: Sol Duc]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Great news !

Curtis Crabtree @Curtis_Crabtree

The Seahawks received two third round compensatory draft picks for April's NFL Draft.

We can trade these picks too, maybe for a vet OL or DL. beer

- Albert Einstein.

Page 65 of 81 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 80 81 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |