Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#970503 - 12/28/16 08:43 PM Last dig of 2016 a go
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
The upcoming dig is approved on the following beaches, dates and evening low tides:
Dec. 30, Friday, 7:22 p.m.; -0.4 feet; Copalis, Mocrocks
Dec. 31, Saturday; 7:57 p.m.; -0.4 feet; Copalis, Mocrocks

fp

#970504 - 12/28/16 09:49 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
fp:

You beat me to the posting....I'm glad WDFW allowed these last 2 digs of 2017...... will be a good way to end the year!!!!!

I think Doc gets some credit for pushing to get this opening.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#970544 - 12/29/16 06:54 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Weather gonna put a damper on NYE.... this is the nearshore coastal forecast on NOAA...

http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?m...=1#.WGXKZTKZOJQ

Sat
S wind 5 to 15 kt...becoming W 25 to 35 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 6 to 7 ft with a dominant period of 13 seconds... Building to 7 to 10 ft with a dominant period of 12 seconds.

Sat Night
NW wind 25 to 35 kt...becoming N 20 to 30 kt after midnight. Combined seas 12 to 15 ft with a dominant period of 10 seconds.

Could be a cold wet one.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970545 - 12/29/16 07:48 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: eyeFISH]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

The towns are filling up. I'll sit this one out. wink

- Albert Einstein.

#970573 - 12/30/16 04:56 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Chompin at the bit waiting on my niece running more than a bit late driving down from Pugetropolis.

Tonight should be way nicer than tomorrow night.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970604 - 12/31/16 01:07 AM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Finally left the house just a bit before 5:30 pm... fully ONE hour after our appointed departure time. Caught up on her life while driving to the ocean.

Got to the beach, suited up for the chill, and fired up the lantern. Folks packin' up their gear that we talked to had already thrown in the towel.... "NOT SHOWING" was the consensus.

Miranda motioned toward another group walking back to their rig, "Uncle, those guys only have ONE clam in their bag!" she remarked with a bit of distress in her voice.

"Well, we're here.... what else are we gonna do? Gotta give it a go... nothing ventured, nothing gained," I replied.

Undeterred, we marched onto the clam beds a little after 6:30 pm. Not a breath of wind, calm surf, and a clear black sky through which to gaze upon the BIG-ness of the galaxy.... awesome and humbling.

I gave the young lady a quick tutorial on digging (or should I say sucking?) with the now infamous fp tube. Three minutes later, she was driving her tube over the first show of the evening... a dandy MOSSER! It was all downhill from there.

Pretty much a steady cadence to two limits... never more than 10 poundings from one show to the next. I set my tube aside and concentrated on holding the lantern and marking shows for my apprentice as she proceeded to extract 2/3 of our combined limits from the sand before relinquishing the tube from fatigue.... "UNCLE!"

We traded jobs and soon had our bags topped off to HEAVY limits.

She was pretty proud of herself... 3 dinks, 3 mediums, and 24 jumbos... and only 3 cracked clams in the bunch (the dinks)... one of which was mine! They were laying pretty deep tonight as virtually every calm would be found at the very bottom of each core, most waving HELLO with their diggers just as the mouth of the tube cleared the surface sand.

Hiked back to the car, cleaned/rinsed our gear and clams, stripped off our jackets (sweating from being overdressed) and popped open some liquid refreshment. Time stamp on the first glory pic below was 7:38 pm. Subtracting the time spent walking each way and the rinsing of gear, we got it done in about 35 minutes using only one tube.

Great evening spending QUALITY time with my lovely niece.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970608 - 12/31/16 08:04 AM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

It was a nice night to be on the beach. I scratched out a limit but it wasn't quick or easy. Everyone else in our group of 6 had a tough time.

#970617 - 12/31/16 10:13 AM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
fat ones

#970619 - 12/31/16 10:29 AM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Outstanding Doc. Nice work and awesome story!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#970629 - 12/31/16 01:53 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Today
Light wind...becoming SW 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves less than 1 ft...building to 3 to 5 ft in the afternoon. W swell 7 ft at 12 seconds. A slight chance of rain in the morning...then a chance of rain in the afternoon.

Tonight
NW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 5 to 7 ft. W swell 10 ft at 11 seconds. Rain likely in the evening...then a chance of rain after midnight.

Brother's comin' down later tonight to give it a go and close out 2016 in grand PNW style. In other words miserably cold and wet, EARNING every stinkin' clam we might be lucky enough to get.... and I'm fool enough to take him!

Hell, with the northern blast headed our way, it could well be snowing before we make it home.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970657 - 12/31/16 04:53 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
December 31, 2016 4:40 p.m.

Just got home from my "afternoon drive to the river", to check how boaters were doing on 1 of my local rivers....

Can tell you this, rain and more rain, and both lanes from Central Park to the West End of Montesano were "jammed" with bumper to bumper traffic, heading West. Now I'm not sure all the traffic was going clam digging BUT I'm thinking many of them were.

Hope the clams were showing for those braving the elements...

Happy New Year, may 2017 be the best year of your life, so far......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#970663 - 12/31/16 05:34 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Still waiting to see the whites of my brothers eyes. If he doesn't get here by 6 PM it's a no go!

Thanks for the LIVE report, DW.... and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, too!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970664 - 12/31/16 05:35 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

One more LIVE report from the Ocean Shores Hwy just minutes ago... not much wind, but HARD rain.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970675 - 12/31/16 09:11 PM Re: Last dig of 2016 a go [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Miracle of miracles!

HE ACTUALLY SHOWED! An hour and 10 late but we went out to brave the nastiness and got the dirty deed done!

Limits by the time it was low water.

Snow on the drive home along Ocean Shores Hwy

The final harvest of 2016 for my household.... Happy New Year to all!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 982 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |