Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#974412 - 03/06/17 09:50 PM Wild Steelhead on the menu
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch has listed wild caught Olympic Peninsula steelhead as "good" choices for restaurants. The listed rivers are the Humptulips,Quillayute, Hoh, Queets, and Quinault. The Chehalis is listed as one to avoid. Go to the link in www.seafoodwatch and you can read the reasoning used....pretty weak.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-news/wild-steelhead-on-the-menu/

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/trout?type=rainbow&q=Trout,%20Rainbow

#974420 - 03/06/17 10:22 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

An incredible oversight on the part of that certifying body for seafood sourcing.

Someone there definitely dropped the ball if they think the source fishery is sustainable.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#974424 - 03/07/17 06:52 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I sent them a comment on their website. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/conse...CFRSFfgodSv8MDA

Discovered your group has listed wild caught Olympic Peninsula steelhead as "good" choices for restaurants. The listed rivers are the Humptulips,Quillayute, Hoh, Queets, and Quinault. Not sure where you get information on "Good Choices". It could be safe to say the Indian Tribes give erroneous sustainable information on harvests to market the product. Strict regulations exist to protect these stocks. Wild Steelhead are not a sustainable source and your endorsement will contribute to their demise

#974427 - 03/07/17 08:06 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

This thread comes up every year, and every year I send the Aquarium a note. They're generally good about getting back to me and explaining the reasons for the listing. That said, the fact this still has not changed makes it obvious to me that the Monterey Bay Aquarium is no less corruptible than any politician. In other words, the designation of wild steelhead as a "good" alternative is politically-motivated (and we can guess who's providing the motivation).

There are three factors that complicate/confuse this issue:

1. Hatchery steelhead caught in the wild are (appropriately) labeled wild steelhead. To claim that even a meaningful percentage of Quinault steelhead hitting the market this time of year are hatchery raised would be false, but it's a claim they are apparently making.

2. The Aquarium lumps steelhead in with rainbow trout, which is not biologically incorrect, but does designate them part of a much more populous, more sustainable species.

3. Farm-raised triploid trout (a la Rufus Woods) are widely marketed as "farm-raised steelhead." Farm-raised triploids are reasonably sustainable, so lumping wild steelhead in with them, right or wrong, puts them squarely "on the menu."

I would venture a guess that the Aquarium's hands are politically bound on this issue. As many times as they've been properly informed of the plight of wild steelhead, the designation has not changed. It may take a lawsuit (WFC, I'm appealing to you) to get any traction.

Edited by FleaFlickr02 (03/07/17 08:08 AM)

#974603 - 03/08/17 01:18 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
ChaseBallard Offline
Egg

Loc: Seatown
A short video on this and an easy way to send a quick message to Seafood Watch: http://bit.ly/wildsteelhead

https://vimeo.com/207426362

Take OP Wild Steelhead Off The Menu​
Seafood Watch claims wild steelhead harvested from the Olympic Peninsula are a “Good Alternative”. The data says otherwise. Take action here.

Wild steelhead are engrained with a resilience that enables them to survive the litany of obstacles mankind throws in their path. But their resilience has its limits and some obstacles prove to be insurmountable.

Recently, Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch – a guide for helping consumers make sustainable fish choices – threw such an obstacle in their path when they designated wild steelhead from Washington’s coast as a sustainable fish choice, labeling it a “Good Alternative”. This designation could be the nail in the coffin for the sharply declining wild steelhead populations in famed Olympic Peninsula rivers like the Hoh, Queets, and Bogachiel.

This designation means that increasingly threatened populations of wild steelhead can be sold nationwide in stores like Whole Foods Market as a sustainable food choice. Nothing could be further from the truth because for decades these wild steelhead populations have been returning at a fraction of historic abundance and declines have accelerated in recent years.

According to data from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, wild steelhead populations on the Olympic Peninsula experienced as much as a 50 percent decline in numbers since 1980. Iconic rivers such as the Quillayute, Hoh and Bogachiel experienced some of the lowest returns on record in 2016. Today, these populations are on the verge of being listed under the Endangered Species Act.

Recently, sport fishermen sacrificed their harvest rights and adopted less impactful fishing practices because they know wild steelhead are on the brink of collapse. Meanwhile, many tribes harvesting wild steelhead with gillnets refuse to implement stricter harvest plans, catch monitoring guidelines, or more responsible fishing practices for these nearly endangered fish.

It is absurd that Seafood Watch and their partners such as Whole Foods Market would label these fisheries a “Good Alternative”. Not only does this label threaten these famed wild steelhead populations, but it also misleads well-intentioned consumers who will unknowingly purchase a threatened icon spiraling towards an endangered listing.

We respect tribal treaty rights to responsibly harvest salmon and steelhead when abundance allows. However, the long-term decline of wild runs, their current dire state, and the use of non-selective methods such as gillnets make it grossly inappropriate for these wild steelhead fisheries to be labeled as "sustainable".

Please take action and encourage your friends and family to do the same because if we don’t fight for wild steelhead today, this iconic fish may be gone tomorrow.

To read the full Seafood Watch report from February 2017 that includes their allegations that wild steelhead harvested from the Olympic Peninsula are a “Good Alternative”, click here.

#974608 - 03/08/17 01:44 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While working was involved with responding to a group (not this one) that supported steelhead as a sustainable fish to eat. We explained that while some of the wild stocks at that time may have been sustainable and that most of the hatchery stocks were sustainable that the harvest was so poorly monitored that one could not be sure that a "wild-sustainable" steelhead was not, in fact, taken from another river an mis-labeled.

Recent sampling of seafood shows massive mis-naming of product. Too much risk involved, to me, to encourage harvest of species with questionable stocks present unless there is clear means to ensure what you buy/eat is as advertised.

#974683 - 03/09/17 01:55 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Received this response:

Thank you for sharing your concern and feedback.

Seafood Watch makes every effort to ensure its reports reflect accurate scientific information. To that end, we welcome ongoing contact with tribal representatives, conservation groups and management authorities regarding current conservation efforts, recreational harvest restrictions and other important factors that could necessitate any change to the current rating.

In fact, this process has already yielded information that came out since the assessment was completed. That new information (low returns in the Hoh River in 2016) may lead to a change in rating for that river.
The updated recommendations follow. Also, please know that a yellow Good Alternative rating doesn't mean “sustainable” but, rather, there are issues people should be aware of before deciding to purchase.

AVOID: Steelhead from the Chehalis River
GOOD ALTERNATIVE: Steelhead from the Humptulips River, Quillayute River, Queets River and Quinault River.
UNDER REVIEW: Steelhead from the Hoh River

Any new data you have is appreciated and can be sent to us at seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org.

In the meantime, the full scientific reports behind our recommendations are publicly available at our website under the specific rating.

Sincerely,

Peter Adame
Seafood Watch Engagement Coordinator

Monterey Bay Aquarium
886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940
www.montereybayaquarium.org
Our mission is to inspire conservation of the ocean.

"

#974712 - 03/10/17 05:51 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

That's the response?!! A failed clever attempt at diplomatically pleasing both sides? What a joke this organization is. If they think we all can't see who's directing the guys, I think they need a monumental pig piling for sure. Oh, I guess we see your point for the Hoh but we're hanging on tight to our other cards. Hmmm.... There's some obvious corruption going on here and it stinks like an old gill net in Monterey. Bad form ya miserable ghouls! foul

#974721 - 03/10/17 11:58 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: cobble cruiser]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
That's the response?!! A failed clever attempt at diplomatically pleasing both sides? What a joke this organization is. If they think we all can't see who's directing the guys, I think they need a monumental pig piling for sure. Oh, I guess we see your point for the Hoh but we're hanging on tight to our other cards. Hmmm.... There's some obvious corruption going on here and it stinks like an old gill net in Monterey. Bad form ya miserable ghouls! foul

The worst part of that lame excuse for potential action (listing the Hoh as a bad source) is the same problem with the current designation that the Chehalis is a source to avoid. All the "wild" steelhead from our coast comes from the QIN (I believe the Hoh and Quileute Tribes operate as subsidiaries in the Quinault enterprise). They net every productive northern coastal river for these fish, and they don't sell them separately by origin. Therefore, nobody buying the fish knows whether it's from one of the (sort of) sustainable sources or a "bad" source. That is the problem with this tap dancing around specific watersheds.

#974747 - 03/11/17 11:12 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

On a positive note. Was at Pikes Place market in Seattle this morning. I saw no fish vendors selling any steelhead either wild or farm raised.

Edited by RUNnGUN (03/11/17 11:23 AM)

#974795 - 03/12/17 04:21 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

FYI,

Year 2016,-- Commercial steelhead harvest in WA state waters was 154.2 metric tons = 339,952.89 pounds.

N. Puget sound 9.4 Metric tons
S. Puget Sound 35.4 Mt
Coastal 89.3 Mt
CR area 20.1 Mt

Unfortunately, it did not differentiate between Wild or Hatchery harvest in coastal waters for this thread topic.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#974802 - 03/12/17 09:02 PM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Unfortunately, it did not differentiate between Wild or Hatchery harvest in coastal waters for this thread topic.

Actually, maybe this gives some kind of an idea. mad

Statewide 2016
Feb---------29.5 metric tons
March-------8.4 metric tons
April---------2.0 Mt
May----------1.4 Mt

#975378 - 03/23/17 07:58 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: ChaseBallard]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: ChaseBallard

Recently, sport fishermen sacrificed their harvest rights and adopted less impactful fishing practices because they know wild steelhead are on the brink of collapse.

We respect tribal treaty rights to responsibly harvest salmon and steelhead when abundance allows.

I can't remember.

When the sport angler's sacrificed their share of steelhead, was our share of steelhead guaranteed to go to conservation, or will that enable the tribes to catch both shares now?

Edited by Lucky Louie (03/23/17 07:58 AM)

#975379 - 03/23/17 08:11 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Foregone Opportunity. If you don't catch them we will because any fish above the escapement goal is both wastage and leads to catastrophic over escapement that will destroy the runs.

If there is either a designated "harvestable number" or a designated "impact number" it will be killed. Not fishing just gives it to the other side.

Had a situation on Skagit Chinook where the cowboys had something like 75 fish left in the 50:50 share. Proposed to just leave them alone, tribes fish to their identified number. Nope, we were told. If those fish are on the computer, they will be fished for. So, there was a one-night cowboy gill net fishery in Skagit Bay in the 80s.

#975381 - 03/23/17 09:01 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: bushbear]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Increase the number of paper fish...kill more fish, increase the number of paper fish...kill more fish, increase the number of paper fish...kill more fish..

Anybody aware that both the Tribes and the commercial fishermen received Federal disaster funds in 2016 because the salmon run was declared a "disaster" by the Secretary of Commerce:

"Washington Sen. Maria Cantwell has been pushing for the declaration since December, according to the senator’s spokesman Bryan Watt, who added the declaration is critical for the region’s fishing communities, which have suffered through several years of lower-than-expected catch"

Read it and weep boys, the Sportsmen are the only ones who loose when they catch the last fish!!
Washington State Fisheriers Disaster

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#975382 - 03/23/17 09:30 AM Re: Wild Steelhead on the menu [Re: Carcassman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Foregone Opportunity. If you don't catch them we will because any fish above the escapement goal is both wastage and leads to catastrophic over escapement that will destroy the runs.

Thank you for your answer.

There we go again, man made rules v. Mother Nature’s intent to flood the river with fish to feed the ecosystem. Humans are pretty good at manipulating the system to hoggishly devour what Mother Nature meant to share.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |