Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976031 - 04/06/17 08:36 AM Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I met Jacques White, PhD who is the executive director at LLTK this week, and we discussed this project for a spell. Posting up some information on how you can sponsor a Steelhead smolt this spring in the Survive the Sound interactive game that is currently accepting sponsorship for outmigrating smolts this spring.

Check out the contest details here: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb14216599.htm

Sponsor a fish here: https://www.survivethesound.org/home

I'll be sponsoring a fish and reporting it's name and progress here, as well as observations during the contest.

If any of you decide to sponsor a fish, it would be fun to compare progress here once the contest starts!

Post up if any of you decide to participate!

#976057 - 04/06/17 02:49 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

So my Sponsored fish is "Puget Pounder". release date set for may 8th and this is a Nisqually fish....looking forward to seeing how he does!

#976058 - 04/06/17 03:32 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

In. My smolt is "Jet." Hails from the Skokomish and claims to always be on time. We shall see....

This is a really cool way to get people to support much-needed projects that WDFW can't or won't fund.

#976060 - 04/06/17 03:46 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
So my Sponsored fish is "Puget Pounder". release date set for may 8th and this is a Nisqually fish....looking forward to seeing how he does!

I am wishing Puget Pounder good luck! He'll need it with a 78% mortality rate!!

Here is a link to their preliminary report as presented to the Commission in August 2015:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2015/08/aug0715_06_presentation.pdf.

The Puget Sound Recreational Fishing Enhancement Program and the Squaxin tribe are collaborating on a study whereby tagged coho are being released at several locations leading out of South Sound
to Admiralty Inlet to ascertain if predation decreases the further out the fish are released (and presumably the comparative differences).

And then there is the recently released report on a Canadian study which shows the extent of harbor seal predation on Chinook in Puget Sound; twice what Orcas consume and six times what fishers take. Here is the abstract:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjfas-2016-0203#.WObC2zvysdW

Again, I wish Puget Pounder well as he faces a truly hostile marine environment called Puget Sound.

And I also wish that NOAA would take ownership of how this predation adversly impacts the potential recovery of ESA listed salmonids and push Congress for changes to the MMPA.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#976065 - 04/06/17 04:45 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Larry B]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Used to be real active with a LLTK project here when the Wishkah hatchery was going.

fp

#976074 - 04/06/17 06:08 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Been hangin' on to that shirt a while, eh?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976082 - 04/06/17 07:04 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
In. My smolt is "Jet." Hails from the Skokomish and claims to always be on time. We shall see....

This is a really cool way to get people to support much-needed projects that WDFW can't or won't fund.

Thanks for ponying up and participating, I appreciate it.

#976088 - 04/06/17 07:26 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Great idea!

My family will sponsor one fish each. . .the ladies have Fishy-McFishface, Fin-E-US and Bubbles from the Skok, and I'm pulling for Twitch from the Nisqually.

Go Twitch!

fb

#976094 - 04/06/17 07:54 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I've got Bruce from the Skok.
SF

#976118 - 04/07/17 08:28 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I got that unpronounceable Skawel smolt.

#976123 - 04/07/17 09:04 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

8 fish so far, shaping up to be a great side contest here on PP.

#976147 - 04/08/17 08:27 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

"Sharkbait" leaving the Nisqually.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#976199 - 04/11/17 08:09 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
Merman is my fish!

#976364 - 04/17/17 12:21 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I am in for Sgt. Snackbar but I was really disappointed when I realized I could not name my own fishey as I had already planned on C. L. Snack. Well, Sgt. Snackbar is close. Granddaughter at Western will be notified she has her own Nisqually fish to follow: Sushi.

By my choices am I projecting a negative outlook on short term survival? No doubt!

#976493 - 04/24/17 08:59 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The data on smolts is very interesting. Mortality, at least in all the studies I looked at, was highest early in the individual's migration. Loss rates were highest in the first few kilometres of migration. It is as if the fish, when it converts from a stream resident to migrant faces new challenges, new predators, etc. that take a while to learn. Once learned, survival per km is better. The loss was also rather equal, on a per km basis, for hatchery and wild.

That said, there was a real problem for fish having to pass Tacoma Narrows on the way out. White River Chinook, released as yearlings from Hupp/Minter survived at a lower rate than fingerling White Rivers released from the MIT facility on the White. Conventional wisdom and management models tell us yearlings survive way better than fingerlings.

I still maintain that while this tagging data is great and much needed it tells us only what is happening today. We know that OVERALL marine survival appears to be down but just because the number leaving the Straits is low does not mean that in-Sound mortality is the problem. Unless there is some old data on in-Sound survivals.

Plus, for steelhead, I have asked and asked and nobody on the Pacific Coast was able to provide me with a good data set (real, not indexed escapement, whole brood-year ages) where the R/S even equaled 1. Repeat spawners are critical. We do know that if the smolts are younger, a stream produces more so the same stream will produce more age 1 than it can age 2 and so on. So, as we keep stream productivity low, we produce fewer smolts form the same habitat. A downward spiral. Fewer smolts, fewer repeats, ...............

#976797 - 05/06/17 05:57 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
I've got Willy.
Free Willy!

#976802 - 05/06/17 02:03 PM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Sea Slough is ready to rock and roll. He will be a 20 pounder in 2020

Edited by Dave Vedder (05/06/17 02:03 PM)

#976833 - 05/08/17 10:45 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Sushi and Sgt. Snackbar survived initial release and are heading downstream. Should be plenty of water to flush them out quickly. Appears there have already been some fatalities amongst the participants......

#976856 - 05/09/17 07:43 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Sgt. Snackbar is reportedly alive and well just off Anderson Island's Devils Head. Watch out Snacky - seal country!!

Sushi on the other hand is reluctant to continue downstream. Is there a problem??

#976857 - 05/09/17 07:54 AM Re: Survive the Sound- a Long live the Kings project [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

So far so good. “Shark bait” has made it out of the Nisqually into the saltwater.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1070 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |