THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976449 - 04/21/17 08:39 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
spokey9 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ravenden, AR
I thought you needed tags to assist a juvenile. At least that's my understanding of the regs.

#976454 - 04/21/17 10:51 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Your daughter would need a catch card if you plan to fish for salmon and steelhead. Not sure if you need anything for yourself if all you plan to do is help.

Despite all my talk, I bought my license 3 days into the season. Seems things haven't gotten quite bad enough to convince me to throw in the towel altogether.

I still haven't licensed my boat trailer... that'll teach 'em.

#976459 - 04/21/17 01:45 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: spokey9]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: spokey9
Mainly because our daughter is 3 and she likes going to the lakes and reeling in trout, no to mention the fun she has at the beach clam digging.

Kiddos and clamming.... it's simply the BESTEST!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976461 - 04/21/17 03:14 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I've used mine about eight times so far since I bought it.
Fishing has been great and not a lot of folks out wetting a line.
Occupy WDFW must be working........
SF

#976462 - 04/21/17 03:37 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: stonefish]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stonefish
SF

Same here. If I were to go buy Springer Fillets at the market,equal in weight to what I've already killed this Spring, I'd be spending about 2 decades worth of fishing license money. Seems like a good deal to me.

#977155 - 05/24/17 11:57 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
I haven't bought one in almost 5 years. Not worth it.

#977157 - 05/24/17 12:23 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: Irie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Irie
I haven't bought one in almost 5 years. Not worth it.

A South Sound denizen? You might want to look at the MA 11 and 13 opportunities this year especially given the lack thereof up north.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#977158 - 05/24/17 12:26 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: spokey9]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Just hope G loomis introduces a high end flounder stick soon so I can look cool chasing sanddabs this year.

Remember to have your descender device on board and ready to use when fishing for bottom fish beginning 1 July to include sand dabs.
Seriously!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#977161 - 05/24/17 02:23 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I saw a list recently put out by WDFW about all the fisheries coming up in hopes of inspiring license sales. Salmon, halibut, rockfish, bass, walleye, OD trout, and so on. Lots of really nice opportunity IF you have access to a boat and an unlimited supply of scopolamine. They are doing a good job of developing some boat-based fisheries. Kokanee comes to mind, and the Lake WA walleye will be killer. To my pea brain, though, there is nothing there I want in on. So, license fees go elsewhere.

#977171 - 05/24/17 10:25 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Your daughter would need a catch card if you plan to fish for salmon and steelhead. Not sure if you need anything for yourself if all you plan to do is help.

Yes, I believe you need a fishing license to assist the little ones - if you are in control of the rod at any point while actively fishing.

I have no idea about clams.

#977176 - 05/25/17 07:20 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
River Nutrients

I think the clam rule is that the kid has to actively digging and not just along to watch.

#977197 - 05/25/17 02:54 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
Originally Posted By: stonefish
SF

Same here. If I were to go buy Springer Fillets at the market,equal in weight to what I've already killed this Spring, I'd be spending about 2 decades worth of fishing license money. Seems like a good deal to me.

I'll second that. Just substitute halibut for springers.

#977242 - 05/28/17 09:25 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
spokey9 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ravenden, AR
I just had a great day on a beach digging steamers & butter clams. The kiddo found 23 clams in the muck piles I missed while digging (granted she showed me every clam shell I dug up lol. She was so proud of her bucket of clams it was priceless. Even got the wife butthole deep into a couple holes digging. Days like this takes most of the sting out of donating to the dept.

We also waded around and I showed her all the crabs, starfish, and everything else that moved. It's funny watching her relate everything she saw to spongebob characters.

#977252 - 05/30/17 10:50 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: spokey9]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I just had a great day on a beach digging steamers & butter clams. The kiddo found 23 clams in the muck piles I missed while digging (granted she showed me every clam shell I dug up lol. She was so proud of her bucket of clams it was priceless. Even got the wife butthole deep into a couple holes digging. Days like this takes most of the sting out of donating to the dept.

We also waded around and I showed her all the crabs, starfish, and everything else that moved. It's funny watching her relate everything she saw to spongebob characters.

Spending time outdoors with loved ones and teaching children about the natural world is priceless. You certainly got your money's worth on that outing. Great job and I hope you have many more adventures with the little one.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#977270 - 05/31/17 12:08 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: Carcassman]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I saw a list recently put out by WDFW about all the fisheries coming up in hopes of inspiring license sales. Salmon, halibut, rockfish, bass, walleye, OD trout, and so on. Lots of really nice opportunity IF you have access to a boat and an unlimited supply of scopolamine. They are doing a good job of developing some boat-based fisheries. Kokanee comes to mind, and the Lake WA walleye will be killer. To my pea brain, though, there is nothing there I want in on. So, license fees go elsewhere.

Is that a joke? What walleye fishery? I thought WDFW/the tribes were trying to eradicate any walleye to protect the "all mighty" sockeye that none of us will ever get to fish for again in Lake Wa?

#977271 - 05/31/17 07:02 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
River Nutrients

No. The walleye will succeed because the lake is now more suited to them than to anadromous fish. One kicker about developing a commercial walleye fishery in Lk WA is that the forage fish accumulated a lot of mercury. Walleye eat forage fish. So, the walleye to eat safely will probably be the smaller ones. The ones Doc refers to as "egg wagons" will be unsafe to eat but will lay a lot of eggs.

#977275 - 05/31/17 09:53 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I definitely bought a license, and the value of the fish I have harvested far exceed the cost of the licenses, and it's only been a handful of weeks. Even with costs going up and opportunity going down the recreational and food value I get out of my license overwhelmingly outweighs the costs.

One trip to the movie theater with popcorn and drinks costs more than my fishing license.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#977278 - 05/31/17 11:34 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Of course I do X 4.
I also spend about $700 on the hunting side as well.

This enables me to not be a hypocrite.

#977279 - 05/31/17 11:55 AM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: Todd]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Know wonder I haven't been to the movies since Pulp Fiction.

- Albert Einstein.

#977284 - 05/31/17 06:04 PM Re: Are you buying a 2017/18 license? [Re: BroodBuster]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
There's no denying that a single saltwater outing can "pay" for itself or that the pleasure a sportsman gets from pursuing his passion is reason enough to buy a license. Like Lotto tickets, it's worth the price just to dream. If I didn't have other plans that will keep me busy for the foreseeable future I'd be complicit as well.grin Good luck to everyone and make sure to wear a PFD...especially kids. We're lucky to live in a place that's so beautiful the scenery alone is worth the price of admission and sharing that with friends and family is priceless.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |