LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976796 - 05/05/17 09:26 PM No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

On one hand chambers creek fish do "their thing" on a different schedule than wild fish. On the other hand, if done right, broodstock programs have been a proven asset to sportsfishing.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/release-print/may0517a/

Edited by cobble cruiser (05/05/17 09:26 PM)

#976798 - 05/06/17 06:00 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Just curious, what is the 'right way'?

#976799 - 05/06/17 07:18 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

For the sake of discussion, on one hand, chambers fish have "less" impact on later run wild fish while if done right, broodstck fish in certain populations have been a success. For example, the Vedder River has used wild broodstck for decades and has been a shining example. Vedder River wild runs continue to be strong after years of using wb. Of course everyone's idea of success differs and this and this certainly not me personally making a case for either.

Just thought it was an interesting report that the chambers are being replaced with broodstck fish and wanted to share. smile

Edited by cobble cruiser (05/06/17 10:18 AM)

#976822 - 05/07/17 08:14 PM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The early return is first and foremost a product of age-1 smolts. Across the board, hatchery or wild, and age-1 smolt returns from salt water earlier than an age-2. On average. When they started the White River broodstock the first return of hatchery fish was earlier. This was with no selective breeding.

Then, if you advance spawn time by selecting your bloodstock for the fish that spawn earliest you add to it.

So, the short answer is yes, all the broodstock programs that use age-1 smolts will come back earlier. I have only looked at a few situations where you got age-2 and age-3 hatchery smolts and I forget how similar they were to the wilds; I just remember they were later than the age-1s.
And, these age-2 and 3 hatchery smolts had been released as 1s, they just residualized and smelted later.

I have not seen how a program that purposefully produces age-2 hatchery smolts affects time at return.

#976830 - 05/08/17 07:19 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

In 3 years they will have produced nothing but excuses.

BOOK IT!!!

#976835 - 05/08/17 11:58 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

For a variety of reasons I am leaning towards either/or for steelhead. The stream is hatchery or it is wild. Especially when we have non-selective fishery impacts there is no way that you can have both types in the same watershed.

We will have to decide. Somebody call the God Squad.

#976847 - 05/08/17 02:27 PM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The current hatchery runs have not had the time in hatchery to be selected for earlier spawning in order to exacerbate the earlier return of age-1 smolts.

If they make no change in spawn timing then they will only have to deal with the smolt age return.

WDG tried very hard to develop hatchery fish that returned differently from the wild. But, they made the assumption that all wild steelhead were equal even though there was some evidence accumulating that the early returning/early spawning wild fish were the tributary spawners and the later fish were mainstem spawners. The Green (in King County) really showed a loss of the tributary spawners.

#977296 - 06/01/17 10:47 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: Carcassman]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/jun/01/overhaul-coming-for-winter-steelhead-streams/

A little more on this plan at the link, interesting read...

...Big changes are coming in the next five years to the Washougal, Kalama and Coweeman rivers — plus Salmon and Rock creek — as the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife responds to new federal requirements regarding hatchery-origin winter steelhead....

#977302 - 06/01/17 12:21 PM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: rojoband]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

“Without additional support, we will not be able to achieve the goals set by NOAA Fisheries, and will be forced to reduce hatchery releases or halt production at some hatcheries altogether,’’ Cunningham said.

.......and we all know the likelihood of that additional support. Just one more step toward elimination of steelhead opportunity in this state and even more crowding on the few rivers remaining. I hope I'm wrong.

#977324 - 06/02/17 07:32 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Eric,
You and I both know you are not wrong.
Steelheading as we knew it is a thing of the past.
I only hope they come up with a real profitable recycling program for graphite soon so I can cash in.
Hope all is well.

#977327 - 06/02/17 09:41 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
My feeling:

WDFW is very strong in promotion of "commercial fishing". In Region 6 there is no time, during the year, to talk about steelhead. Now salmon get talked about LOTS. The whole NOF process is spent talking about salmon....conservation, x amount for sports and x days for the NT gill netters.

Wynoochee Mitigation...1992, still NO salmon or steelhead have been raised from the mitigation funds.....QIN and WDFW, just can't get on the same page to start spending the $2.4 million, that is in a fund. Commission wants this done but still it get pushed to the back burner, and that burner is off...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#977329 - 06/02/17 09:45 AM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Eric,
You and I both know you are not wrong.
Steelheading as we knew it is a thing of the past.
I only hope they come up with a real profitable recycling program for graphite soon so I can cash in.
Hope all is well.

With VERY few exceptions, it is a thing of the past and it sucks. Glad you and I got to experience some of the good. I'll see you in line at the graphite recycling station. Makes me kinda glad I didn't give into the craving to upgrade a few rods at Sportco last week.

Give a shout next time your over this way.

#977333 - 06/02/17 12:03 PM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

At merger, WDW brought something like 14 dedicated steelhead and sea-run cutthroat positions to the table. They were all sucked up into generic fish bios (translation=salmon).

#977334 - 06/02/17 12:24 PM Re: No More Chambers Steel in Select Southern Wash Streams [Re: cobble cruiser]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

WDFW is doing their normal trick when faced with adversity.......................

Rolling over and peeing on themselves.
The sportsmen and women of Washington are left to potty train the mutt.

I say we get a new dog.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 250 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |