Page 62 of 202 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 201 202 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#954491 - 03/23/16 05:20 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: Rivrguy]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

Preliminary analysis indicated that the 5% risk control provision can be loosened slightly and still provide a high likelihood that the spawner goal would be achieved for Chehalis Chinook salmon. The analysis indicates that an 85% probability of achieving the spawner goal could be maintained with a 8% nontreaty harvest rate, and a 77% probability could be maintained with a 12% nontreaty harvest rate.

85% or 77% probability doesn't cut it with me given their absolute failure to properly manage over the last couple decades, not to mention their dishonest numbers, models and tricks to give gillnetters more days. Remember "multipliers of zero" ??

#954495 - 03/23/16 05:52 PM J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Assalotta IF's, Carcassman.

The policy has been in place for only two years, and already two runs have been made at trying to undo the 3 out of 5 penalty box rule on wild escapement.

First, was the disingenuous attempt to have the commission retro-actively apply the new and improved (i.e. REDUCED) escapement goal to past returns that were previously managed for the higher goal. Turns out the guys behind this scheme didn't do their homework. Even with the lower benchmark, managers still failed to meet e-goal at least 3 of the previous 5 years! :middle finger:

And now this? J F C ! ! !

Look... 8-12% is a HUGE number. Even at 8%, that's NOT just a 3% increase.... it's a 60% increase in wild Chehalis chinook impact! At 12%, it's a 140% increase in dead kings!

YGTBFK, right? Come on, GMAFB!

For at least the past 20 years, WDFW has missed the Chehalis chinook e-goal 80% of the time. For the record, I've been lobbying the commission to do something about this chronic under-escapement problem for 12 years now. The GH Policy is the commission's first run at finally correcting decades of mismanagement, and it's only been in effect for TWO fishing seasons.

The conservation benchmark is achieving a ridiculously LOW e-goal a whopping 60% of the time. Gee, when I was growing up, 60% was considered a D-minus.

So now that they can't achieve 60% under current management, they're asking for at another 60%-140% slop factor to allow for more fishing.

SERIALLY?

Going to 8% impact reduces the probability of making e-goal by 15%. The 12% impact reduces that probability by 23%. How does anyone justify this when the historic record is failure to meet e-goal at least 80% of the time? Can we really afford to do anything that increases the risk of missing the mark again?

No...
Not no...
Not just no...
BUT HELL NO!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#954534 - 03/23/16 10:28 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I agree Doc. They'll all find a way to hammer the run.

#954553 - 03/24/16 09:30 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

When WDFW meets escapement 80% of the time, then we can talk about relaxing the 3 out of 5 penalty box. They make escapement ONE time and want to consider relaxing the "penalty?" This simply re-confirms a "harvest at any cost" philosophy within the harvest management group. I think the "bluntness" of the 3 for 5 rule is exactly the sort of restriction necessary to realign harvest management thinking to include the serious consideration of fish conservation.

#954559 - 03/24/16 11:12 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: Salmo g.]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Just so all know the QIN dispute the failure to make the Chinook escapement goal in 2014 on the Chehalis side. Also they use the aggregate of all GH streams in the escapement in compliance with the courts. It is the state that separates the Humptulips & Chehalis which is a action that the QIN do not agree with and I am told do not intend to recognize.

#954560 - 03/24/16 11:48 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Conference call.....WDFW Commission, most members either present or "on-line", different WDFW "higher ups", were in attendance but Steve Thiesfeld did the majority of the speaking.

I'm not going to give a report.....but am here to say that the process went VERY WELL, was very clear, could hear all the questions and all the responses. Only thing I'd like to see is that when a commission member asked a question...that they give their name, 1st.....then you'd know who was framing the question.

NOF meeting tonight;

March 24

Grays Harbor Fisheries Discussion
•6 p.m. – 8 p.m.; Montesano City Hall, 112 N Main St., Montesano
•Public discussion of management objectives and preliminary options for Grays Harbor. Fishery management objectives and preliminary fishing opportunities for 2016 are discussed.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#954711 - 03/26/16 08:23 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The following is a guest opinion that I submitted and was published in our local newspaper the Aberdeen Daily World. My opinion folks.

SALMON POLICY -- NOTHING IF NOT COMPLICATED

On Thursday March 27th the WDF&W Commission will have a conference call to review options for the 2016 Grays Harbor salmon season. In recent days the forecast for salmon returning home this fall has been released and the numbers of harvestable Coho is dismal. Questions are everywhere as to what this means but this salmon harvest thing it is complicated. For Grays Harbor fishers this comes on the heels of last year's closure following the Quinault Nation's and WDF&W state managed commercial fisheries that left many in the inland community feeling disfranchised as once again as the inland communities recreational fisher bore the brunt of conservation and lost its fall salmon season with over a million dollars of economic activity. The 2016 Coho forecast with only a few thousand harvestable natural origin Coho this year it is difficult to see how one crafts meaningful seasons for Coho fishers without addressing some very difficult issues.

In 2014 the WDF&W Commission implemented the Grays Harbor Management Policy ( GHMP ) which are conservation driven guidelines for harvest that are fundamentally a solid management strategy. That said it does not mean that the GHMP is without issues. The most difficult resides with Chinook which is the most prized fish of the vast majority of fishers be it commercial or recreational. Within the GHMP is a clause that dictates that if a species fails to achieve the goal of the required number of spawning salmon ( escapement ) three out of five years that we cannot have a directed fishery and are limited to a small catch and release mortality of 5% of the runsize. This has become known as the " 3 / 5 Penalty Box " and at the time of the implementation Chehalis River Chinook had been just below escapement for years. The WDF&W Commission chose 2009 as the year we started to a count our 3/5 Penalty Box years from and resulted in no directed Chinook harvest just catch and release.

This is where as in all things the world of unintended consequences come into play. 2014, 2015, and our projected 2016 Chinook returns are some of the best in many years with a 2016 forecast of 23,910 returning Chinook which provides 13,452 above escapement in 2016 and are available for harvest. The 3/5 Penalty Box clause will dictate that rather than harvest the states non treaty 50% of 13,452 we will be limited to the 5% catch and release mortality impact of 1195. Add to the mix is the fact from the GHMP implementation the Quinault Nations fisheries managers have simply utilized their fisheries to harvest the Chinook that the state fishers were not allowed to harvest due to the 3/5 Penalty Box clause as the GHMP only governs the state's share of harvest. This must be viewed with the backdrop of the fact that WDF&W and the Quinault Nation have very different views not just in management philosophy but right down to how you count the returning salmon.

So what to do? My thought is pragmatism and logic would dictate that the Commission change GHMP start date for the 3/5 Penalty Box from 2009 to 2014 which would remove the Chinook harvest limiter. This would also give WDF&W staff two or more years at the least to reach some accommodation with the Quinault Nation on the differing views of how to count and manage harvest.

So we have a problem that only the WDF&W Commission can address that is mired in the politics of salmon harvest. From those on the conservation side it is do not change a word in the GHMP, stay the course which is driven by history of poor management choices in Grays Harbor by WDF&W. From the non treaty commercial gillnetters it is throw the entire GHMP in the dumpster as it limits them to their share of harvest. From inland communities the fear resides in the fact that the 2015 harvest was a return to the ways of old where the inland recreational fisher shouldered nearly the entire conservation burden. Pragmatism and logic are the two things that appear to the first victims of a process that is being driven by fear and anger in how we manage our salmon harvest with the conservation driven GHMP.

The answer resides in the Adaptive Management provision of the GHMP which provides the tool needed to address issues not foreseen at the time of the implementation of the GHMP.

Adaptive Management
The Commission recognizes that adaptive management will be essential to achieve the purpose of this policy. Department staff may implement actions to manage adaptively to achieve the objectives of this policy and will coordinate with the Commission, as needed, in order to implement corrective actions. Components of the adaptive management will be shared with the public through the agency web site and will include the following elements:

Hopefully the Commission will act to act to rectify in some manner the problematic 3/5 Penalty Box clause. At risk are the of the recreational fisheries economic impacts in Grays Harbor and the entire Chehalis Basin communities which have averaged over 2.3 million dollars a year in the last fifteen years and in the last five years over 3.2 million dollars a year. This is not chump change and to throw the Chehalis Basins communities under the bus due to a process underway driven by inflexibility, fear, and anger is not what was intended with the adoption of the conservation driven GHMP salmon harvest guidelines. What seasons that can be crafted will emerge rather quickly and they may actually provide harvest opportunity with protection for those salmon that need it . Will the Commission be able to craft a solution? I do not know as I said this salmon harvest thing it is complicated but we will all know shortly.

#954714 - 03/26/16 09:05 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: Rivrguy]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Well written letter. Thanks for making the effort to get info out there. Good to let WDFW and the co-managers know people are paying attention to their policies and their actions.

#954734 - 03/26/16 10:40 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Bravo, and well put for most to understand , even non- fisher folks.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#954740 - 03/27/16 09:53 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Dave:

Thanks for all you do. In general, most people have no idea of the amounts of time and effort it takes to get fisheries where there is so much competition for EVERY fish.

Grays Harbor is one of the tough area for the above tide water sportspersons. The tide water demands for salmon is unbelievable, QIN takes their part, NT wants their share, and more, and of course the sports fishers.

The GHMP, at least, try's to level the playing field. Is the GHMP perfect, no...but it is better than the recent past. Wasn't many years ago, that there was a marine sport fish, then some weeks of 7 days of gill netting between the QIN and NT. I sometimes fish the upper tide water area of the Chehalis.....there might be 7 - 10 boats, "hog lined" and no one catching any fish for days at a time.

I like the GHMP, once some of the "bumps" are worked out...it will be in the best interests of first, fish conservation, then the others will come into line.

I know this for sure...the increase demands by the total amount of people for areas to salmon fish, are not going to decline. Sports fishing dollars far out weigh the value of a commercial caught fish.

My neighbors are going to hate the "1 fish and done" fishery, that is being "kicked around"....BUT that is better than no fishery.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#954838 - 03/28/16 11:47 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Barbara sent me all the presentations from the Montesano NOF meeting and I am sending them around. Anyone who wants them that I missed just e mail me and I will forward them. I will get Willapa's out tomorrow.

#954864 - 03/28/16 05:30 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For anyone interested, the PFMC hearing to discuss ocean options starts in about an hour and a half... Chateau Westport.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#955054 - 03/31/16 08:19 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

What we have here are suggestions from the public at the last NOF meeting for Grays Harbor in Montesano. Keep in mind these are suggestions from the public and were not vetted. More or less a shopping list if one chooses to view it that way,

2016 Grays Harbor North of Falcon Public Meeting March 24, 2016 6 – 8 pm
Montesano City Hall, Montesano, WA

Staff: Steve Thiesfeld, Mike Scharpf, Barbara McClellan, Chad Herring, Curt Holt Public: 47 Individuals

• No directed salmon fishing at all and begin Steelhead Feb.1

• Spring chinook fishery in marine area 2.2

• Seal/sea lion issues and accounting of those lost fish

• Close rivers that do not have hatchery production available

• Spring Chinook through the end of July

• Close Wynoochee in Oct and Nov all fishing

• Chehalis Main Stem & Satsop - 1 fish release all wild Chinook and coho

• Skookumchuck - no wild retention

• Commercial week 43 and 44 1 day each week

• MA 2.1 – Close for two weeks in the main marine area and move those impacts to the Humptulips North Bay and add two weeks to that fishery

• One fish and done - wild or hatchery coho

• Wynoochee – keep open thru October, close October 15 or November

• Keep Wynoochee open

• Humptulips North Bay fishery – try moving fishery into July

• Require knotless net use

• No bait to reduce recreational mortality

• Chehalis MS – to Fuller open October 1st

• No commercial fishing in 2A

• 5 days a week for freshwater fisheries when QIN is not fishing

• Open fisheries with hatcheries

• Mandatory retention required in one and done fishery, first legal fish you have to keep it

• No mandatory retention

• Boat limit in saltwater allowed now, should we reconsider this?

• Partial week fishery if we are not able to cut enough coho to meet goal

• Consider bait ban Fuller downstream to mouth of MS

• Fish every other day

• Jack fishery in the Chehalis - will we lose it?

#955065 - 03/31/16 11:57 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

From up North BC. Interesting read.

Scientists want Canadian federal government to restore fisheries protection
Bob Weber | The Canadian Press | Mar 24, 2016

Prominent scientists and environmental groups are urging the federal Liberals to hurry up and repair what they see as damage to fisheries done by the previous government.

"We request that previous habitat protections be immediately reinstated in the Fisheries Act," says a letter signed by 47 individuals and organizations.

The signatories run from the World Wildlife Fund to the B.C. Federation of Fly Fishers and include researchers such as David Schindler from the University of Alberta, whose work revealed some of the earliest evidence that the oilsands were releasing contaminants.

"The time to start is quickly," said signatory John Smol, an ecologist at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.

"Delay in the environment costs us dearly. Nature is very slow to pardon mistakes."

Repeal sought of Tory law

The letter asks Federal Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo to repeal changes made under the Harper Conservatives in a controversial 2012 omnibus bill. Those changes removed prohibitions against the harmful alteration, damage or destruction of any fishery. Attention was instead focused on commercial fisheries.

"One of the biggest factors that affect fish abundance is habitat," said Smol. "We have to restore habitat protection."

Smol pointed out the changes came as fisheries began to face threats, including climate change, invasive species and new contaminants.

"If anything, we have to strengthen the act. Instead, it was weakened."

Protecting commercially valuable fish without protecting the habitat for all fish just doesn't work, said Linda Nowlan of the West Coast Environmental Law Centre.

"I don't think we humans are capable of picking which parts of nature need protection. You need to look at the ecosystem as a whole."

Mandate letter ordered changes

Tootoo has been instructed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to restore the protections.

Prominent Alberta researcher David Schindler is among those lobbying the Liberal government in Ottawa to repeal legislative changes made in 2012. (CBC)

"Work with the minister of transport to review the previous government's changes to the Fisheries and Navigable Waters Protection Acts, restore lost protections and incorporate modern safeguards," says Tootoo's mandate letter from Trudeau.

After he gets done with that, Tootoo can move on to reforming the 150-year-old act to put science at its heart and with a view to the future, Smol suggested.

"We want long-term thinking. We don't want typical mandate thinking of four years."

An amended act should limit the discretion of politicians to override scientific evidence and enshrine cautions that ensure future generations enjoy the same fisheries as Canadians do today, said Nowlan.

"They need to make their decisions in accordance with modern environmental law principles."

Thursday's letter is the latest open letter from scientists hoping to influence government policy. Two such letters this month — one criticizing studies into liquefied natural gas exports in British Columbia and another discouraging investment in fossil fuel infrastructure — have already been sent to the federal Liberals.

Scientists are hoping the new government will listen more closely to their warnings than did the previous administration, Smol said.

"We're seeing the muzzling of scientists being changed. We have issues that we think need looking at and we think we have a government that will pay some attention to it."

#955068 - 03/31/16 12:10 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Encouraging news from BC. We need some of that sense of reason instilled into our lawmakers.

#955173 - 04/01/16 09:20 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

BC intercept gonna go hog wild with the news of strong summer and fall upriver CR stocks, plus a resurgence of WCVI stocks. They plan on taking a bigger bite out of our LRH tules

COUNT ON IT!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#955233 - 04/04/16 07:50 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I obtained this document with a Public Document Request ( PDR ) while trying to figure out just how on earth last years Coho collapse got past both the co managers until it was too late. It appears to be a template that is altered each year but one cannot be sure. Also just who did the writing is not known but either the QIN or WDF&W did to be sure. It is article IV that I find fascinating as for years many claimed the seasons were set on auto pilot and just ran has agreed to. Do not know but it certainly leaves one wondering just how long this document or something similar has been used.

Formatting stinks but I am careful not to change anything in a document such as this when making them public.

A Joint Report Prepared By

Quinault Department of Fisheries

and

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

April 2015

Harvest Management Plan for Grays Harbor 2015 Fall Salmon Fisheries

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Quinault Indian Nation, subject to their authority within Grays Harbor and its watershed (Figure 1), agree to conduct the 2015 fall salmon fisheries in accordance with the following management plan.

I. Management Objectives

The fisheries will be managed to achieve the following objectives:

1. Meet the following escapement goals for the Grays Harbor system:

Natural coho 35,400
Natural chinook 13,500
Natural chum 21,000

The parties recognize the need for a reasonable distribution of the escapement throughout the watershed, particularly between the Humptulips and Chehalis system. They will try to provide for the individual needs of these two systems.

2. Maximize the fishing opportunities of each party to obtain their respective shares.

II. Pre-season Predictions

The 2015 terminal predictions are:

Chehalis Humptulips Total
Coho (OA3) Hatchery1 31,074 13,315 44,389

Wild2 133,695 6,401 140,096

Chinook Hatchery 3,463 5,186 8,649

Wild 19,108 7,403 26,511

Chum Wild Na Na 28,852

Coho (option 1505) Hatchery1 26,903 10,537 37,440

Wild2 120,916 5,769 126,685

1 Including net pen fish = 1,879 Net pen returns included on Chehalis side total
2 Including South Bay OA3 wild returns =2,183 returns included on Chehalis side total

III. Harvest Management Plan

The Grays Harbor fall fisheries are described as follows (see appendix 1):

The Non-Treaty gillnet fishery will be managed as follows:

1. Grays Harbor Salmon Management Catch Area 2A and Area 2D (Chehalis): One (1) 16-hour day: 6 am to 10 pm September 23, 2013, and seven (7) 8-hour days: 7 am to 3 pm October 20, 8 am to 4 pm October 21, 9 am to 5 pm October 22, 9:30 am to 5:30 pm October 24, 7 am to 3 pm November 2, 8 am to 4 pm November 3, and 9 am to 5 pm November 4, 2015. In this fishery, live boxes required for wild Chinook and there will be short soak times. Release wild Chinook will be required.

Grays Harbor Salmon Management Catch Area 2C (Humptulips): four (4) 12-hour days: 6 am to 6 pm each October 26, 27, 28, and 29, 2015. In this fishery, live boxes will be required for wild Coho and there will be short soak times. Release wild Coho will be required.

2. The Non-Treaty Marine sport fishery will operate from Sept. 16 to Nov. 30th easterly of a line from the mouth of Johns River north to the Tripod Station on Brackenridge Bluff, with a 3 fish bag limit, no Chinook retention. Non-Treaty Marine sport will operate from Aug. 1 to Sept 15. north of a line from south end of the eastern jetty at Ocean Shores Marina, east to Sand Island, then to the Tripod Station located on Brackenridge Bluff with a two fish bag and no wild Coho retention.

The Non-Treaty freshwater sport fisheries will operate as published in the 2015-2016 Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife sport-fishing guide.

3. The Quinault Treaty gillnet fishery will be managed as follows:

Humptulips River - This includes fishing in the Humptulips River and Area 2C. Maximum mesh size is 6 ½-inches. The fishery includes four (4) days of fishing for one week for the period from September 20th to September 26th, five (5) days for the week for the period from September 27th to October 3rd, four (4) days for two weeks for the period beginning October 4th to October 17th, then two (2) days for the week and period from October 18th to October 24th, then three (3) days for the week and period from November 8th to November 14th, then five (5) days per week for the period from November 15th through into the beginning of the steelhead season. The treaty gillnet fishery for winter steelhead will begin in week 48, the week beginning November 22rd.

Chehalis River - This includes fishing in the Chehalis River and Areas 2A-1, 2A, and 2D. Maximum mesh size is 6 ½-inches. The fishery includes fishing two (2) days for one week for the period from September 13th to September 19th, fishing three (3) days per week for two weeks for the period from September 20th to October 3rd, then fishing four (4) days for one week in the period from October 4th to October 10th, three (3) days for the week and the period from October 11th through October 17th, then four (4) for the week for the period of November 8th to November 14th, then five (5) days per week for the period beginning November 15th through November 21st and continuing into the steelhead season. Steelhead season begins in week 48, which begins on November 22nd.

IV. In-season Management

The projected harvest rates and spawning escapements presented in this agreement anticipate environmental and fishery conditions falling within normal ranges of variation. These normal conditions are related mostly to river discharge and fishing participation. If environmental factors or fishery participation are found to be outside the range of anticipated normal variation, the parties to this agreement will discuss the potential effects of the abnormal variation and determine whether any modification to this agreement are necessary.

There will be no in-season run size updates this year. Adjustments may be made in the Treaty commercial fishing schedule if extremely high river discharge conditions cause the river to be completely unfishable for at least one full day. A day scheduled for fishing will be declared unfishable only if river conditions prevent any nets from being set and no catch is made on that date. A make-up day will be taken when conditions permit, in the same week as the day lost and will occur immediately following the normally scheduled closure. QIN will notify WDFW by telephone or e-mail of intent to make-up an extension of the weekly period. When conditions do not permit days to be made up within the same week, days will be made up in subsequent weeks provided the modeled Chinook rates on the Chehalis, and wild coho rates on the Humptulips side do not exceed those anticipated during the day(s) lost because of conditions.

V. Interaction Between Fisheries

The parties intend to minimize overlap in fishing time between treaty and non-treaty fisheries, which operate in the same or immediately adjacent fishing areas. The parties shall coordinate their fishery openings to ensure that overlap in time is minimized including avoidance of commercial fishery on weekends to the extent possible.

VI. Chehalis Tribal Fishery

As a result of a recent federal court ruling (1998) the Chehalis tribes’ harvest share is included in the non-treaty allocation. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife will negotiate with the Chehalis Tribe harvest levels for their fall fisheries prior to the beginning of the fall management period.

VII. Terminal Area Model

The QIN and WDFW agree to coordinate the annual review and update of terminal area models.

AGREEMENT BETWEEN
THE QUINAULT INDIAN NATION
AND THE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
FOR FALL, 2015

This agreement is the culmination of the efforts of the undersigned to manage, through the design and implementation of one joint plan, for salmon returning to the Grays Harbor Rivers and tributaries in the fall of 2015.

For this season only, the parties agree to set aside divergent views on management philosophy and approach, and manage by the plan set forth in the document entitled “Harvest Management Plan for Grays Harbor 2015 Fall Salmon Fisheries." No part of this management plan or the basis thereof shall be construed as a precedent for future years.

This agreement may be amended or otherwise changed at any time only by agreement of the parties.

Agreed to this ______________day of ______________________, 2015.

_________________________ _____________________________

Jim Scott Ed Johnstone
Washington Dept of Policy Representative
Fish and Wildlife Quinault Indian Nation

#955251 - 04/04/16 12:30 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Interesting press release. Here is the thing, there is no doubt this is a good thing. Now the other shoe absolutely not one fish produced from this will be added to the run escapement. We harvest to the MSY escapement so it should and will produce more fish in those streams but will not be added to the basin escapement but rather harvest. It is the " Big Lie " that fix habitat and all is good. Nope we have a harvest problem plain and simple in the Chehalis Basin.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
April 4, 2016
• David Price, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, 360-902-2565
• Kirsten Harma, Chehalis Basin Lead Entity, 360-488-3232
• Alice Rubin, Recreation and Conservation Office, 360-902-2635
Chehalis Basin restoration projects will open
130 miles of streams to migrating fish
OLYMPIA -- Public and non-profit organizations in Grays Harbor, Lewis, and Thurston counties are receiving about $6 million in state grants this spring for 28 habitat restoration projects in the Chehalis River Basin.
The projects represent an initial phase of a long-term effort to restore habitat and reduce flood damage throughout the basin. State lawmakers included the grant funds in the 2015-17 capital budget as part of a $50 million appropriation for the overall initiative.
Most of the grant projects, scheduled for completion by July 2017, are designed to restore fish passage where it is blocked by culverts or dams. Altogether, they will open more than 130 miles of streams to migrating salmon and other aquatic species, said Kirsten Harma of the Chehalis Basin Lead Entity, a consortium leading the effort that includes local, state, and tribal governments and interested citizens.
Projects receiving funding are shown in the accompanying table. They include:
• Eight culvert corrections proposed on private property by the Lewis County Conservation District. The projects are designed to open 68 miles of streams to migrating coho, steelhead, and cutthroat trout.
• A culvert removal project on Darlin Creek, a tributary of the Black River in Thurston County. The project, sponsored by the Capitol Land Trust, will open two miles of coho and cutthroat habitat in an important section of the Chehalis watershed.
• Improvement or replacement of three culverts that block fish passage in the Johns River watershed of Grays Harbor County, under the sponsorship of the Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force.
The competitive grant process was conducted by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and the Chehalis Basin Lead Entity’s Habitat Work Group. Proposals were selected for funding by biologists, engineers, and habitat restoration professionals from WDFW, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Quinault Indian Nation, and a representative of the Lead Entity’s citizen advisory committee. The state Recreation and Conservation Office is administering the funds and overseeing the projects.
Projects were evaluated based on their potential benefits for fish and other species, value to local communities, and the likelihood that they could be implemented quickly and cost-effectively. Twenty-five (25) of the projects involve on-the-ground restoration work, while three are for planning and design of restoration activities that will take place in future years in Grays Harbor and Lewis counties.
More information on the Chehalis Basin Strategy, including opportunities for public involvement, is available at http://chehalisbasinstrategy.com/
Grant recipients:
• Capitol Land Trust: Amanda Reed, 360-943-3012
• Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force: Lonnie Crumley, 360-482-3037
• Lewis County Conservation District: Kelly Verd, 360-748-0083, ext. 114
• Lewis County Public Works Department: Ann Weckback, 360-740-1440
• Sylvan Terrace Owners Association: Dorothy Zee, 360-943-6430
• Wild Fish Conservancy: Jamie Glasgow, 206-310-9302
Chehalis Basin Habitat Restoration Grants 2016
Project Sponsor County Grant award Stream miles opened
Lower Satsop River: Restoration project design and permitting Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Grays Harbor $251,000 N/A
Fish barrier corrections scoping and design Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $308,000 N/A
Big Creek Polson Camp Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $529,000 4.8
Gaddis Creek South Bank Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $307,000 6.5
Darlin Creek fish passage improvements Capitol Land Trust Thurston $100,000 2.0
Bunker Rd. and Wisner Creek barrier removal (2 projects) Lewis County Conservation District Lewis $45,000 5.4
South Fork Newaukum stream and habitat assessment Wild Fish Conservancy Lewis $98,000 N/A
Great Eight barrier removal (8 projects) Lewis County Conservation District Lewis $799,000 68.1
Harstad Creek Middle Satsop Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $306,000 3.3
Boyer Road fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $66,000 2.5
Eaton Creek South Bank Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $307,000 3.3
Taylor Creek Taylors Ferry Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $293,000 2.9
Johns River tributaries barrier corrections (3 projects) Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $1,150,000 11.0
Mox Chehalis Branch Rd. fish barrier correction Chehalis Basin Fisheries Task Force Grays Harbor $412,000 12.2
Sylvan Terrace barrier removal Sylvan Terrace Owners Association Thurston $97,000 0.5
Stearns Creek tributary fish barrier removal Lewis County Public Works Lewis $39,500 2.4
Prairie Creek fish barrier removal Lewis County Public Works Lewis $39,500 4.8
Carlisle Lake/Gheer Creek fish passage Wild Fish Conservancy Lewis $700,000 10.2
Notes: Stream miles opened to fish passage are rounded to the nearest 0.1 mile.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

#955266 - 04/04/16 02:28 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Wild Fish Conservancy gets a $98000 reward from the state, for good behavior I assume.

#955268 - 04/04/16 04:12 PM Re: J F C ! ! ! [Re: eyeFISH]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Yeah, this time they sued NMFS rather than WDFW.

Page 62 of 202 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 201 202 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |