LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982457 - 12/12/17 06:00 PM Just aired on King5 News.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Alison Morrow just aired a spot on the Ten Year Chinook Salmon Plan.

This is a link to the on web story. Take notice of Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission Chair's comment. It's important to note that the State and the Tribes had an option to Opt Out of the confidentiality portion but chose not to. Rather, they continued to meet behind closed doors, damaging further the trust they say is needed to save our salmon!

King5 Salmon Fishing may be severly Restricted

(The reference to Chair Loomis' Comment pertains to her comment that is contained in the Web posted story. There was not enough time to include it in the TV spots that were run. Sorry for the confusion)

Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission Chair Lorraine Loomis sent KING the following statement:

"The updated Puget Sound Chinook Harvest Management Plan was developed in response to the stock's ongoing decline due to habitat loss. It was developed by the state and tribal salmon co-managers through court-mediated negotiations that began earlier this year. Negotiations took place under a confidential court process, which limited participation to policy representatives of the federal government and the treaty tribal and state co-managers. NOAA will now begin an 18-month administrative review process that will include public comment."

Edited by Bay wolf (12/15/17 10:16 AM)

#982460 - 12/12/17 06:13 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Is there a new video of the broadcast?

All I saw on the webpage was the old video that aired last spring

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982465 - 12/12/17 08:08 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
I expect the night crew of techs @ KING5 will get it straightened out and proper by early AM tomorrow. Allison Morrow was preparing for a flight to Atlanta this evening, had the correct footage of video included in tonight's 5:00 broadcast...but something went awry when the story was put up on the website. They will get it right.

#982468 - 12/12/17 09:32 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Looks like it's fixed. Nice clip of Carpenter in there from the TVW videotape of last Friday's Commission meeting.

TVW is the reigning poster-child for transparency in open public meetings.

They deserve a big hand!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982477 - 12/13/17 08:39 AM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Hahaha! The picture they used in the news report in the background was an Atlantic Salmon jumping!

....slow clap....
I want to be a fisherman.

#982479 - 12/13/17 08:48 AM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've asked to have the video clips they use be vetted a little better. The stock footage of the rec. guy reeling in a salmon, while the narrative talks about conservation sends a mixed message. We are the champions of conservation. I asked for equal air time for the showing of nets.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#982481 - 12/13/17 09:18 AM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: eyeFISH]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Looks like it's fixed. Nice clip of Carpenter in there from the TVW videotape of last Friday's Commission meeting.

TVW is the reigning poster-child for transparency in open public meetings.

They deserve a big hand!

No doubt. They should be rewarded with the expanded role of covering ALL meetings conducted by ANY State committee, board or elected official involved in representing the citizens of Washington State. That's odd---I was under the impression that was the purpose of the Open Public Meetings Act/Sunshine Laws now on the books?

#982482 - 12/13/17 09:22 AM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I agree Bay Wolf. The message sent by showing the fisherman landing a salmon is mixed.... and no surprise there is no footage of salmon rotting in a net on the river bank.
I want to be a fisherman.

#982483 - 12/13/17 09:44 AM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

In fairness to Alison Morrow. The stock video footage they inserted was out of her control. She submitted the story as she was on a plane.

It's true that the media as a whole could do a better job in exposing what is really going on in our fisheries. I give a lot of credit to Alison, as she is the only one who is willing to point a finger at the WDFW and tell the truth. The other media outlets should follow her lead.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#982498 - 12/13/17 05:27 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
The other media outlets should follow her lead.

Weren't you the one that told me they get tons of advertising dollars from the tribes and will not show them in a bad light?

#982500 - 12/13/17 06:14 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: GodLovesUgly]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
Hahaha! The picture they used in the news report in the background was an Atlantic Salmon jumping!

....slow clap....

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
I agree Bay Wolf. The message sent by showing the fisherman landing a salmon is mixed.... and no surprise there is no footage of salmon rotting in a net on the river bank.

In this current age of media hype, they are desperate for still and moving images to help sell a story.... even when they might be totally inaccurate or irrelevant.

The still image in the first version of the article about a 10 yr Puget Sound chinook plan was of all things... a pair of spawning sockeye.

The still image in the live broadcast was indeed a boot Atlantic salmon.

The video clip of the guys catching the king with hook/line was from the Columbia estuary, emphatically NOT Puget Sound... featuring of all things... a WILD king headed for the box. SHEESH!

You and I on this board might know better, but thankfully the average Joe Blow probably doesn't. Regardless, a bit of authenticity would be nice, and lend much more credibility to the story.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982534 - 12/14/17 05:40 PM Re: Just aired on King5 News. [Re: Bay wolf]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Creative departments only have access to certain / limited stock images at a moment's notice / story deadline. They grab a picture and slam it in with zero subject expertise. 3 seconds consideration is given to this entire process. If you want a story correct image, then you have to actually plan out the release of the story, send a photog into the field with a guide, catch the right fish at the right time of year, take the pic and submit. That's a time and money sink-hole and MGMT + Accounting says absolutely no way. In fact, the photog was laid off because of stock images.

So the answer is to buy an image of any salmon and call it good. They could put a Blue Marlin or Goldfish in that story and nobody would notice. To 99% of the population, a fish is just a fish is just a fish. Same with that Creative Department. Most Creatives haven't ever even left their city coffee shops, let alone ever held a fishing rod in their hands.

If you want a story out there (any story), it's not that hard. Forget local news and go world-wide today and for free. You just gotta have a compelling or shocking story. So make it compelling or shocking. Also - you better be telling the 100% truth OR have a deep wallet for the eventual lawsuits.

Edited by NickD90 (12/14/17 05:41 PM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |