Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985364 - 02/13/18 12:48 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Andy Appleby made an excellent point about the wisdom of simply making more hatchery fish to feed the orcas. How effective would it really be?

As it stands now, we see surpluses of hatchery kings at many facilities. Hatchery fish are swamping hatchery racks and the spawning gravel with unwanted pHOS.... kings that manage to skid by uncaught by our fleets and uneaten by the endangered orcas.

Will making more hatchery clones actually do anything to help the orcas plight? Or will it simply create greater problems for fish managers to deal with even bigger surpluses of unwanted hatchery fish? In many cases, we can neither catch... nor the orcas eat... enough of 'em at current levels of production as it is. How does making more really help?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985370 - 02/13/18 08:11 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Brian Blake wants to save the orcas... Uh-huh.

Pretty sure the plan is for every one of those chinook that doesn't get eaten by orcas to be eaten by humans, after being purchased in commercial markets, supplied by the Willapa Bay Gillnetters' Association (and company).

#985371 - 02/13/18 08:51 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While not supporting Blake's idea too much, just how many Killer Whales feed inside Willapa? If the answer is none, then that is where fisheries on Chinook should be. AFTER they pass by the whales. Not before.

Which means that Chinook that come through the Straits (Juan de Fuca and Johnstone) and through the San Juans are probably where the numbers should be bumped.

#985380 - 02/13/18 10:33 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

As it stands now, we see surpluses of hatchery kings at many facilities. Hatchery fish are swamping hatchery racks and the spawning gravel with unwanted pHOS.... kings that manage to skid by uncaught by our fleets and uneaten by the endangered orcas.

Will making more hatchery clones actually do anything to help the orcas plight? Or will it simply create greater problems for fish managers to deal with even bigger surpluses of unwanted hatchery fish? In many cases, we can neither catch... nor the orcas eat... enough of 'em at current levels of production as it is. How does making more really help?

OK, I'll be the one to bring this question to the table...but not to hijack the thread, more just for consideration:

Is it possible that by egging and raising fish that HAVE made it back to the hatchery, that we have somehow genetically engineered fish that are not prone to "bite"?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985381 - 02/13/18 11:05 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
See the following for another option to increase the biomass of PS Chinook for the orcas and other uses.

https://tidalexchange.com/2018/02/09/fisheries-management-for-dummies-1-bigger-fish/

Curt

Edited by Smalma (02/13/18 11:06 AM)

#985392 - 02/13/18 12:43 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Selecting for large hatchery broodstock seems like a good idea. I doubt it would have the desired effect, however, because regardless of genetics, chinook take several years to mature, which requires them to survive multiple fishing seasons. I'd argue their ability to survive 4 and 5 years of relentless fisheries is a bigger factor in shrinking average size relative to genetics.

Still, I like the approach of proposing simple solutions that won't require controversial policy changes. The cumulative effect of trying all the quick and easy solutions should amount to at least something at the end of the day. I wish we could do more, but for now, I think this is the best approach.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1455 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |