Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#988871 - 05/08/18 07:31 PM Overhauling my old trolling flashers
Busta-Busta Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Eye-Of-The-Sun
I finally A) Got a new boat and B) Have returned to fishing after a long hiatus.
Thus, I'm seeking advice on how to overhaul my old, delaminating mylar stickers and corroded swivels/rings on a dozen flashers.

I have ideas (I read about Kone_Zone for tape) but would like some sage advice/direction and general help- save me the trial and error, please!

Best way to remove the old mylar and clean the plastic? Best replacement hardware (swivel/ring)? Best way to get optimal adhesion of the tape? I'd hate throwing my $12.00 X 12 away.

Stainless seems obvious, but does anyone know what are the best specific swivels and rings? Split rings also seem obvious- I'll have to snip the old welded rings off.

Thanks!
Rusty (me) and corroded (also me), out!

#988876 - 05/08/18 09:40 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Take them all to Silver horde in lynnwood. The crew there will help you with all the tape and hardware needs.

#988881 - 05/09/18 06:42 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Just a comment.....How many flashers do you REALLY need? I'd sell what you have, garage sale, EBAY......then buy 3 or 4 new ones. By the time you buy new items to fix up the 12 old ones.....you might just be $$$$$$ ahead to buy new......just my opinion.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#988882 - 05/09/18 07:31 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
If all you're saving is the plastic, you're not saving much. With good hardware, it's worth re-taping. You'd probably be better off buying some polycarbonate and making your own flashers at that point. I'm not sure how often they do it, but I picked up some flasher blanks from Fishermans with hardware for $1.00 each if you're excited to do some taping.

I imagine a wire wheel would make quick work of flaky tape (and a nice mess).

#988884 - 05/09/18 08:11 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
ericl Offline
Alevin

X2 on Silver Horde

#988888 - 05/09/18 09:06 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you want to avoid all the hassle, just cut the old gear off and rig them like a Shortbus flasher.

Get yourself some larger duo lock snaps and your choice of swivels and you're good to go.

Here's a nice video too about how you can experiment with your old flashers. Also, you can see the set up with the duo lock snaps I'm referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJi0tNSQwc&index=83&list=WL&t=251s

Basically, attach the swivel on the smaller end of the snap then attach the large end of the snap to the flasher. And it makes swapping out gear really easy.

One last thing. I wouldn't worry too much about switching tape etc. I think people overthink things a lot (myself included). As long as you present your setup to the fish in the correct way, you're likely to hook up.

#988913 - 05/09/18 05:33 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Busta-Busta Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks, everybody. I guess I'm sentimental about the $$ I paid retail. beathead

DrifterWA_ As many as I want! Gotta have a couple cop cars, rainbows, pearl, green, etc...
And, I need to fill my flasher quiver from silver Horde

Sounds like I'm overthinking it...
Tan- I'm gonna give it a try.

I appreciate the replies. beer

Edited by Busta-Busta (05/09/18 05:36 PM)

#988924 - 05/10/18 07:57 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Busta,
If you're like me, you like the mojo of old gear. Fun to keep it running. If you want to upgrade. look at the Q-Cove type flashers. they have a pin that pulls out and releases the resistance of the flasher when fighting a fish. I like those.
In answer to "How many flashers do you need?", the answer is 17. That's what I have from over the years...you'll have to buy 5 more!

#988939 - 05/10/18 09:22 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: ned
Busta,
If you're like me, you like the mojo of old gear. Fun to keep it running. If you want to upgrade. look at the Q-Cove type flashers. they have a pin that pulls out and releases the resistance of the flasher when fighting a fish. I like those.
In answer to "How many flashers do you need?", the answer is 17. That's what I have from over the years...you'll have to buy 5 more!

You bring up a great idea. I bought up a few break away Q-Cove flashers when it was apparent their continued availability was in doubt. There are now a couple of break away retrofits available although not cheap. There are also some do-it-yourself versions.

In any case I like the break away feature particularly for silvers which like to come to the surface well behind the boat and thrash around often throwing that mandated barbless hook in the process.

The retro-fit to break away might be a way to salvage the old flashers and increase the hook to land ratio.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#988949 - 05/10/18 10:33 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Don't over look the medium and large size LEO flashers if you end up buying new. Great for both hardware and bait.

#989006 - 05/11/18 11:38 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Larry B]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: ned
Busta,

You bring up a great idea. I bought up a few break away Q-Cove flashers when it was apparent their continued availability was in doubt. There are now a couple of break away retrofits available although not cheap. There are also some do-it-yourself versions.

In any case I like the break away feature particularly for silvers which like to come to the surface well behind the boat and thrash around often throwing that mandated barbless hook in the process.

The retro-fit to break away might be a way to salvage the old flashers and increase the hook to land ratio.

I like this suggestion. You ought to know, my favorite flasher is a new one 'cause it has new swivels.

#989172 - 05/15/18 10:41 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
I've been using the same four or five flashers for the last 10 years and they look it. Although replacing the swivels might be a good idea.

#989337 - 05/17/18 10:57 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Larry B]
Busta-Busta Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Will do! Thanks!

#989743 - 05/25/18 11:58 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
I have several old flashers with good Sampo swivels that need a do over. Who has a good selection of materials, tape etc.? Or should I just buy it on the internet?

Mostly I buy stuff at Three Rivers but they don't stock a lot of that kind of thing.

Somebody mentioned Silver Horde in Lynnwod but I don't know where that is at.

Thanks

#989744 - 05/25/18 12:10 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Silver horde: 20910 63rd Ave W, Lynnwood, WA 98036

If I had that project in mind this would be my first stop. they have everything and then some..

#989943 - 05/31/18 01:35 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

FYI

I checked out the place in Lynnwood and also took a look at Teds. Neither one had much, very little selection. But the guy at Lynnwood told me to try the website for WTP Tape and I did. They had a good selection and I bought enuff to overhaul 4 old flashers. Cost me 25 bucks but if I would have bought 4 new ones it would have been 60+.

#989976 - 06/01/18 08:06 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
cncfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: whale pass
I was up in Bellingham on Tuesday. Stopped in to Yeagers they had a decent supply, tapes, blades, and the like. more than I have seen locally.

#990253 - 06/12/18 08:40 PM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I got my shipment from WTP Tape and redid 4 flashers and they turned out very well. They have precut flasher tape that is cut to the shape of a flasher so its easy to install. I got the Silver and the Yellow dressed up with the red tape that is really bright. Looks good, a lot cheaper than buying new flashers.

http://www.shopwtp-inc.com/product_info.php?cPath=45_33&products_id=1917

#990257 - 06/13/18 06:03 AM Re: Overhauling my old trolling flashers [Re: Busta-Busta]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
I replace flashers every year due to the “E” chip wearing out or fish attracting voltage emitters getting weaker. Besides it’s generally known that all fishing gear fishes best fresh out of the package. 😂

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1043 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |