#990180 - 06/11/18 08:54 AM Another Step Backward
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal

#990182 - 06/11/18 09:13 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western Washington
A huge step forward... possibly, just possibly this will lead to a slowing down of habitat loss... and hope for a point in the future when we can actually turn the tide and begin to reverse the trend.

George W. Bush

#990183 - 06/11/18 09:31 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: FishBear]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: FishBear
A huge step forward... possibly, just possibly this will lead to a slowing down of habitat loss... and hope for a point in the future when we can actually turn the tide and begin to reverse the trend.

+1 this lawsuit was DOA to begin with....

#990187 - 06/11/18 11:23 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While I agree that the culverts must be fixed there are few arguments that I wish the Supremes would have answered.

The state has to fix culverts upstream of existing barriers. It is simply a waste of money to fix passage is system without the fish to use it. Start at the bottom and work upstream.

Culverts are "easy". Dams have destroyed more salmon habitat than a culvert ever hoped to, as has building in floodplains, building levees, and so on. If the Tribes' have a right to fish produced by the habitat as it existed in pre-treaty times, is there a limit?

This case, or something like it, will be back in the courts.

#990194 - 06/11/18 03:20 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
What about culverts on "private" timberlands? Improvements above existing barriers does seem like wasted resources.

It also seems to me that only certain culverts are a barrier, I've seen plenty of salmon spawning above culverts.

#990204 - 06/11/18 07:32 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Chicken or egg? It doesn't matter to me. Either in hand is more than neither in hand, so any step forward is a good thing IMO.

Think of it this way, maybe leverage the culvert work and spend into getting some barriers down? That's what I'd do.

#990206 - 06/11/18 09:11 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Part of the Federal and Tribal defense was that the damage done by the culverts was quantifiable. You could demonstrate loss. Good. I'll believe that they are really interested in restoration of anadromous fish hen they go after the hydrosystem.

#990208 - 06/11/18 10:26 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Right on Carcassman. More stupidity by the folks who "managed" our fisheries, because nearly all of these stream blockages were permitted by WDFW, (or WDF or WDG in the old days). The statutes were very clear. so someone either didn't do their job, or employees were over ruled by their respective administrators. Permits were supposedly written by "experts". I know that when I was in the field several of the HPA permit writers told the hiway construction crews not to worry about permits for many of the smaller streams. What the hell, this only contributed to the lawsuit that will cost a couple billion bucks! Sure wish we had a fraction of the several billion $ settlement in order to get rid of seals, sea lions and cormorants.

Couple this with the criminally effective gillnets in Columbia River tributaries program in the late 70's/early 80's to harvest predicted surplus hatchery stocks returning to hatchery streams that helped wipe out our wild fish. And on the insanity still goes.....

#990217 - 06/12/18 05:30 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Tug--No one could have said it any better...G

#990219 - 06/12/18 06:49 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Well, yeah Tug. It was also all about Chrome Cod (salmon). Talked to HPA folks about barriers to sculpins; a 6" barrier can extirpate them above it. Nope, salmon can get over that.

Had a couple of other situations where I was told the local political apparatus was powerful enough. Since the streams were small, the numbers not huge (another issue), it was not worth fighting.

In each of these situations we had actual data such as spawner surveys, electrofishing, and trap data to know what the barrier was doing.

#990226 - 06/12/18 10:40 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Some species of sculpins, certainly here on the Pacific Coast, travel downstream to spawn and then go back upstream to live the rest of the year. It only takes a few years operation of a barrier to extirpate the population above it. This was first observed on Waddell Creek in CA in the 30s and seems to be continuously confirmed up here.

In one of the cases I was involved in, we knew that both coho and steelhead juveniles occasionally went upstream through a barrier culvert. It was access to great overwinter habitat. But, WDF was uninterested in having DOT fix it. In fact, DOT actually fixed it "accidentally" as they made a very passable situation that WDF was not going to force.

#990234 - 06/12/18 01:04 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I have mixed feelings about the SCOTUS decision (to leave in place the 9th Circuit decision). Don't get me wrong, I do favor restoring fish habitat. However, not all habitat restoration measures are the same. Not the same in terms of fish species affected. Not the same in the quantity of fish productivity restored. And not the same in terms of quantity of fish productivity restored per dollar, or million dollars spent. And that really bothers me. A billion or two dollars now must be spent under federal court order to restore habitat that in many cases will result in less increase in fish productivity than if that money were spent on more beneficial restoration measures.

The selection of culverts for a habitat court case was strategic. The case area treaty tribes figured that, compared to habitat loss due to urbanization, roads, agriculture, forestry, mining, and hydropower, stream miles of anadromous fish habitat loss due to culvert blockages is the most easily and readily quantified. Easily quantified means even a federal judge who knows nothing about habitat productivity can add and subtract stream miles. Ergo, the now famous culvert case.

In news releases yesterday, Lorraine Loomis, chair of the NW Indian Fisheries Commission is quoted as saying that these culvert fixes will result in hundreds of thousands more salmon available for treaty and non-treaty harvest. That sounds nice, impressive even. Unfortunately it is also nonsense, no offense to Ms. Loomis intended since she is just repeating what someone told her.

According to case notes, there are about 1,000 culverts blocking access to about 1,600 miles of usable habitat. Most of the culverted streams have no more than 2 meters of low summer stream flow width that would provide a rough total of 5,632,000 square meters of salmon habitat that could, emphasis on COULD, produce about 2,816,000 coho smolts, IF, and only IF, that habitat is pretty good quality and less than about 1 or 2% at most, stream gradient. Habitat greater than 4% gradient rapidly approaches zero in terms of coho productivity. So if this habitat is prime coho habitat, it could produce 112,640 additional adult coho, about 40% of which will be needed for spawning escapement, given today's general condition of degraded habitat. And all of this habitat is degraded, or else there wouldn't be a culvert there.

This same 1,600 miles would produce less than one Chinook salmon redd per mile, since these are small streams that are typically not favored by Chinook because of their very small size in late summer, early fall when Chinook spawn. These days, PS Chinook can barely replace themselves, so we would be lucky to see an additional 1,600 Chinook in the case area.

Not to stretch this out too long, but the upshot is that under the very best case scenario, the increased salmon production that could result from fixing or replacing every single one of these culverts is quite small, and certainly less than " . . . hundreds of thousands . . ." of HARVESTABLE salmon and steelhead. And I'll add that evidence of that probable outcome is already known to WDFW and the treaty tribes, since they do NOT plan to increase spawning escapement goals by even one single fish, let alone the additional thousands of spawners that would be necessary to produce these many hundreds of thousands of addtional harvestable fish.

Sg

#990243 - 06/12/18 02:34 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for saying that Salmo. I oversaw a culvert replacement that opened 10 miles of (primarily chum) habitat. Low gradient, so what coho are in there would do well. Close to 100% chum block. WDFW would like to LOWER the whole watershed goal.

Culverts were chosen, I believe, because as Salmo says they were easily quantifiable and the fix takes little away from anybody. Stream still flows down the channel, road still crosses it, and so on. Nobody loses, except the taxpayer who foots the bill for the few real actual fish added.

Makes good talking points, though.

#990248 - 06/12/18 03:55 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Salmo - The problem with disagreeing that the money could be better spent elsewhere is that the state appeared to have no intention of meaningfully addressing habitat. They weren't going to fix culverts, dams, land use, logging or any other million problems. Perhaps the dollars could be better spent, but at least the state has to meaningfully address the issue.

Maybe we can reinstate the head tax to pay for all this.

#990250 - 06/12/18 04:34 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Unless the State and Tribes (and the rest of society) are willing to address human population the decision is moot, anyway. More people will move in, people will reproduce, more resources will be needed to support them, fish lose.

#990258 - 06/13/18 06:13 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Tug 3]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Tug 3
Right on Carcassman. More stupidity by the folks who "managed" our fisheries, because nearly all of these stream blockages were permitted by WDFW, (or WDF or WDG in the old days). The statutes were very clear. so someone either didn't do their job, or employees were over ruled by their respective administrators. Permits were supposedly written by "experts". I know that when I was in the field several of the HPA permit writers told the hiway construction crews not to worry about permits for many of the smaller streams. What the hell, this only contributed to the lawsuit that will cost a couple billion bucks! Sure wish we had a fraction of the several billion $ settlement in order to get rid of seals, sea lions and cormorants.

Couple this with the criminally effective gillnets in Columbia River tributaries program in the late 70's/early 80's to harvest predicted surplus hatchery stocks returning to hatchery streams that helped wipe out our wild fish. And on the insanity still goes.....

To bad those HPA permit writers that made those decisions to bypass standards, can't be held accountable today for their irresponsible actions. Would set examples for future illegal actions.

#990260 - 06/13/18 06:38 AM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

In all likelihood it was the permit writer, it was further up the Food Chain. I knew many who found themselves on the "wrong" side of Admin because they placed the law and the fish first. As in war, it the grunt who is killed for the General's decision.

#990287 - 06/13/18 05:00 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Carcassman]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
In all likelihood it was the permit writer, it was further up the Food Chain. I knew many who found themselves on the "wrong" side of Admin because they placed the law and the fish first. As in war, it the grunt who is killed for the General's decision.

Understandable. Whistles can still be blown loudly! Generals are not immune from expulsion/prosecution. To many city, county and state elected officials and public employees in high places, seem to get free immunity after their gone, after making terrible unconscionable and illegal decisions while employed or in office. The taxpayer left to hold the bag. Actions would change quick if they were held accountable even after their gone.

#990290 - 06/13/18 07:01 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Great Bender]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The decisions which leaders make are done because they are supported by the political structure. Somebody on the outside has to file suit. This means they need the money while the taxpayers fund the defense.

In my experience, the State bets on the idea that the public/individual will not take it to court.

For example, when WDFW conducts its "secret" negotiations with the Tribes, who among the leadership of the state objects?

#990296 - 06/13/18 09:25 PM Re: Another Step Backward [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Bravo, Salmo G. and Carcassman for your continued thoughts, and education. But who in the world are the geniuses in the tribes who think salmon will magically appear in recovered good habitat with no increased escapement? ( I know I'm preaching to the choir here). We need to broodstock and supplement now or we're gonna' lose it all. Our climate change of the last decade or more is evidence that we must put considerably more spawners on our good habitat, not the trend of fewer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |