Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#996331 - 11/09/18 09:06 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Haven't seen the 3-point for several weeks. I think he's in hiding, or gone nocturnal as you say.

Several does and yearlings around again yesterday. Turns out they get real pissed when I try to lasso them. As docile as they normally are, they also have a mean streak when disturbed.

#996333 - 11/09/18 09:14 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Haven't seen the 3-point for several weeks. I think he's in hiding, or gone nocturnal as you say.

Several does and yearlings around again yesterday. Turns out they get real pissed when I try to lasso them. As docile as they normally are, they also have a mean streak when disturbed.

There is a video out there of some clown putting a lasso on a doe...that deer kicked that dumbass all over the yard. I bet he never does that again.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#996398 - 11/09/18 04:23 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: Todd]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

There is a video out there of some clown putting a lasso on a doe...that deer kicked that dumbass all over the yard. I bet he never does that again.

Fish on...

Todd

It's a good thing we don't know anyone that would ever accost a poor city deer on one or more occasions. thumbs

#996399 - 11/09/18 04:27 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
LOL smile

I like new Nick better than old Nick on most things...but new Nick is sure a lot less exciting on that front!

smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#996402 - 11/09/18 04:40 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

That's a fair read, but you never know what surprises the future may bring.

In reality, old Nick wouldn't be typing to you now. Old Nick would be gutted like a fish in a Shenzhen back alley somewhere and left for dead. For real.

Whew!

#996404 - 11/09/18 04:50 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: Drew]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Drew
Originally Posted By: elparquito
Anyone kill anything (besides ColeyG - he ALWAYS kills something cool)?

Reports?

Photos?

Anything?

I was fortunate enough to harvest a nice 4x Roosie on the opener last Saturday. Does that count?

Absolutely! Pics!

#996496 - 11/11/18 12:04 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: The Moderator]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Reports?

Photos?

Anything?

I killed a 5x4 bull and a cow with a pumice plains tag. Wife got 2 pt blacktail. I just got back from 5 days hunting with my dad on his muley tag. He passed a big 3x4 the first hour. We passed dozens of bucks but never found the giant we were looking for. We’re headed back for the last weekend. We’d like to go more since the rut was really getting going when we left but we both have to work through Friday.

Hopefully late buck is good for everyone!

Edited by wsu (11/11/18 12:04 PM)

#996545 - 11/12/18 10:50 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Capt. Quint Offline
Parr

Loc: Amity Is., NY
Nothing on my Bainbridge early season archery, but then I NEVER see them in Sept. NOW however, I have a decent 3x4 walking around the apple orchard I hunt. Will he be there on 21 Nov. when the late season starts???? History says NO but hope springs eternal...

#996706 - 11/13/18 05:15 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Looking forward to Thursday - Sunday and some hot bang flop action.

#997525 - 11/27/18 07:15 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Nothing to report back at this juncture. I'm into ML season now and have until the 15th to seal the deal on the Masher. He zigged instead of zagged this past weekend - again. He's a crafty bassturd.

#1001395 - 01/17/19 08:11 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK

Reports?

Photos?

Anything?

Warning, very few animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Sorry Parker, I was a little slow on taking the bait. Haven't been poking my head in here too often lately. Don't worry Stam, I still love you. Sorry to be a stranger, though I hear you like the stranger from time to time?!?

2018 was a rough one for me with regard to putting groceries in the freezer. I spent a lot of time in the field, more than that last year or two for sure, but I wound up with a lot less meat to show for it. Made some exceptionally memorable memories in some amazing places with top shelf people, which is the important part I guess. It would have been nice to have a little more to take home for the effort though. C'est la vie.

Here is a quick recap.

I went on my first mountain goat hunt at the tail end of "last" season or beginning of "this season." Goats are tough to kill, tough to eat, but badass animals that live in cool places. I like mountain hunting.

My first fall hunt was for caribou. I planned a long weekend to hunt the opener and then planned on hunting each of the next two weekends. I passed up a decent bull at 7am on the opening morning that was standing within yards of where I killed my B&C bull a few years back. Big mistake. Weather blew us out of the high country and for the next three days we stared at an endless parade of cows and calves with not a bull to be found. ADFG shut the season down a few days after the opener as the recently and greatly reduced quota had been met. So I wound up hunting basically two days of what was supposed to be a 30 day opportunity. Major disappointment and failed plan.

Checked out some new country for my sheep trip this year. Flew into the Talkeetna mountains and battled some burly weather for ten days. We hiked our dicks into the dirt and saw a bunch of animals. Passed on a ram that was probably legal on our first day of hunting. He was just too close for comfort and so I let him walk from 30 yards. The weather gods were against us as the clouds and rain seemed to show up just when we needed vis the most.

In September I dropped in my uncle and his family in Montana and chased elk with a bow and arrows. It was the most fun I've ever had on a hunt. I didn't fling any pointy things at elk but we got one for the team. I am hooked for life on hunting elk in the rut. On one magical day we were surrounded by fifteen different bulls and a pile of cows all going nuts. Awesome.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#1001397 - 01/17/19 08:12 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

And finally I snuck in a little hunting on a family trip to Hawaii over the holidays. Hunting critters with breaking surf waves as the backdrop and grilling meat on the beach in flip flops and shorts is pretty cool. Might have to try that again sometime. Axis deer is some high quality grub. The cultural and interpersonal experience was more meaningful than the harvest. Lots of cool history in that place.

Dream in the spirit of Minho.

Here is to a safe and successful 2019 season eh!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#1001399 - 01/17/19 09:31 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

You took a fvcking Wolverine? That is badass! Congrats on the skunk bear and goat.

I suppose I should write up my season report sometime...

#1001400 - 01/17/19 09:37 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Bycatch wink

I have a huge amount of respect for Wolverines. Tough as they are, that one didn’t fare well against the .300wm. By most accounts they are the least often seen Alaskan wildlife, but I’ve happened across quite a few of them. We must have a few things in common.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#1001401 - 01/17/19 09:54 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Very cool! Definitely animal of a lifetime - Congrats Coley. When my family used to live up there, my pops had an opp to take one while sheep hunting, but he passed on the shot. He said he always regretted it and didn't regret it at the same time.

I assume you kept the pelt right? Any plans for mount or tanned hide on the wall?

#1001415 - 01/18/19 07:06 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I keep thinking that I go hunting to kill things to eat, which is a prime reason. Then, I see places like this and remember that there is so much more to it. Looks like you add good people to the mix, too.

Thanks for sharing.

#1001454 - 01/18/19 11:57 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Almost! The surf was pretty rough for most of the trip which kept us from getting out to the good fishing/hunting grounds. Surfing was a higher priority than fishing for most of the trip. I did have one Tako cornered for a bit that wound up getting away. I picked up a new Gatku pole spear that I like quite a bit but wasn't able to stick anything with it. Had some close calls with a few kumu and papio.

Carcassman, both hunting and fishing for me are vehicles for adventure with the added bonus of sometimes adding to the food supply. They are both great excuses to get out and enjoy wild places.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#1001455 - 01/18/19 12:07 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Very cool! Definitely animal of a lifetime - Congrats Coley. When my family used to live up there, my pops had an opp to take one while sheep hunting, but he passed on the shot. He said he always regretted it and didn't regret it at the same time.

I assume you kept the pelt right? Any plans for mount or tanned hide on the wall?

My buddy shot it. I don't kill stuff I am not going to eat unless it is trying to kill me.

Kind of an interesting story on the wolverine. The day after I shot my goat we headed back up into the same area to find another one for my buddy. When we got above treeline we stopped to glass for a bit and I picked out a wolverine cruising across an open face about 1000 yards away. We watched it for a while and kept hiking in search of goats. When we came around little rock wall to the spot where we cut up my goat the day before, a different wolverine was munching on the gut pile. My buddy wanted to take it home so he did. I spoke with another group of hunters after the trip that watched another wolverine chewing up the bones from the goat my buddy took later in the trip a few miles from the first. Seems like a robust wolverine population in this little area.

The hide is absolutely incredible. We had it tanned with the goat hides, which are true trophies as well. FYI. Wolverines smell terrible.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#1001589 - 01/20/19 07:16 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

A Booner BT is my #1 bucket list hooved animal. I / we got close this year dancing with "The Masher". He's awfully close to being a book buck and if he doesn't start digressing this year, he should be an even bigger stud next year. He went from a 5x5 two years ago, to we don't even know what this year (8x7 or 7x6). I don't think he'd made the book based on standard inches alone. He's gonna need those extra points to have a chance.

It'll be neat to see how his rack changes this off season. If at all and if he's still around, but I don't see why he wouldn't be. He's in prime shape, lives right there, nobody has ever laid eyes on him in person and we're the only ones who hunt around our area.

Past that, I reeeeeally want a good Yukon Moose, so I'm with you Stam. He doesn't need to be a Booner or reach that magical 60" mark. To me, any nice Moose would be my trophy of a lifetime. It's the $20K+ for the trip which holds me back. I'm one big business deal away from putting down a deposit. Hope 2019 is the year I can make that deal.

#1001796 - 01/23/19 09:14 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Coley is addicted to elk hunting.
LOL
Nice pics and a good season.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 992 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |