THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#735554 - 01/24/12 12:28 AM center pin tactics and tricks?
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sw wa
Any center pin guys around here?

#735573 - 01/24/12 02:17 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
A few of us are around.....

www.badcatboats.com

#735574 - 01/24/12 02:23 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Rag N Steel]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Good to hear, I only know of about 5 pin fisherman down here in sw washington

Team shimano snapper, "dude weres my bobber?", jaw dropper jigs, deathboat comandos

#735575 - 01/24/12 02:23 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Nice rag fish btw

Team shimano snapper, "dude weres my bobber?", jaw dropper jigs, deathboat comandos

#735576 - 01/24/12 02:24 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Nice rag fish btw

#735598 - 01/24/12 10:07 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Yep.

Pinheads unite! smile
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#735617 - 01/24/12 12:10 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: ]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
I dig the pin!

#735623 - 01/24/12 01:42 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Backtrollin]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I am not alone! I'm pretty new to centerpin fishing but I'm hooked already, started about 6 months ago, already nailed 6 steelhead, a coho, 2 chinook and 2 chinook jacs with it, no drag what a rush!

#735743 - 01/24/12 09:15 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Mooch]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Mooch

Pinheads unite! smile

Pinhead? We're pinheads? cry

#735790 - 01/24/12 11:25 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: SRoffe]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sam Roffe

Pinheads unite! smile

Pinhead? We're pinheads? cry

Ok then. How 'bout "flaming cork soakers"?

smile
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#736062 - 01/25/12 11:17 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Mooch]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Rise of the pinheads!

#736064 - 01/25/12 11:18 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
I used a Center Pin once in awhile.

#736078 - 01/26/12 12:09 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Iwant2fish]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Bead and float=steelhead death

#736079 - 01/26/12 12:12 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Anybody got opinions on the best line for centerpins
So far I've only tryed raven mainline, I've heard good things about siglon f?

#736115 - 01/26/12 02:30 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Siglon FF is the shizzle for pinning.

Way better than raven, amnesia, or anything else out there.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#736135 - 01/26/12 10:37 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: westcoastpinhead
Anybody got opinions on the best line for centerpins
So far I've only tryed raven mainline, I've heard good things about siglon f?

The sign of a true center pinner; always on the hunt for the perfect main line. wink

Like Corey says Siglon FF (not F) is highly regarded. It can be expensive however due to "floating" qualities and difficult to find due to limited distribution. Floating quality is not a big factor for me as I fish 11'+ rods, out of a boat and I rarely make "hero" drifts. I do fish Raven, which is cheaper and much easier to find. It has a good "handle" and "drape" as well as low memory with low stretch. On the downside, it's like Maxima UG or gum, it get stale and loses it's suppleness fairly quickly, so I might change line a couple times in a season depending on how much I fish it. A similar line to Raven (maybe same?) is Cortland Endurance. Not common out here, but a few east coast friends swear by it. Another not so common line I also like which has an excellent finish is Suffix Siege. Nice line, but downside is thinner and more stretch than I like, so I step up on this one to 14# or higher. For common lines out here, I like P-Line CX; not the best in any one particular area but very good all-round contender. A lot of our northern brethren use Maxima UG, but I'm not a fan with CP.

Generally I'm most concerned about how line feels in hand and comes off spool than test strength, so I will lean to higher test with diameters @ 30 mm (.12 in). 12# is typical, although I will go down to 8 in summer and up to 16# depending on fish, rod and water.

I like hi-vis main line for all the obvious reasons. Raven, P-line hi-vis yellow are go to's, but I also like the more subtle Siege Orange too.

When using floats, I use either Seagar or P-Line florocarbon leaders for stiffness and sink. For drift fishing with CP, standard UG or Chameleon.

Still looking for that perfect CP line, so open to other suggestions. Let's hear em'. wink

#736148 - 01/26/12 11:41 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Mooch]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I've got the Tangerine Suffix Seige on mine.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#736149 - 01/26/12 11:41 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Mooch]
Fudgy McGee Offline
Alevin

I love the pin. Fish it as much as possible. Been wondering if there were many other pinheads around, good to see some!

I've not been a fan of Siglon for several years now. Yeah it's bright, yeah it floats, but it has a smaller diameter than any other mono out there. i.e. 10# is about standard 8# diameter. I've had many problems when snagged breaking off above the float, which will surely get me raging. That coupled with the high cost and the difficulty to obtain put the final nail in the coffin for me. I also realized that I wanted to change my line several times a season if needed and that gets pricey with Siglon. I've been on Suffix Elite and Seige for a few years and have been liking it. For a while it was high vis, either orange or pink, and lately I've been on low vis green for ultimate stealth. That said, I'm thinking about heading back to high-vis, but incorporating a low vis shot line of the same strength as the mainline.
I've got a spool of orange Gamma copolymer right now from a rep that will go on an Islander I've been waiting for as soon as that shows up. I've also heard good things about Ande as a pin line, and you can get giant spools of that cheap.

#736150 - 01/26/12 11:47 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Mooch]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

[quote=westcoastpinhead]Raven, P-line hi-vis yellow are go to's

You pretty much covered it. Lately, I have been using P-line hi-vis yellow in 12 lb. test, due to the simple fact that I have been having trouble finding Raven line. However, I have been thinking about trying braid.

Bill McMillan

#736160 - 01/26/12 01:11 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Good advice thanx guys, I think I'll try the suffix before I try the costly siglon ff, floating line makes things soo much smoother even with my 11'3" rod out of a boat or from the bank. Currently I'm running ande 10# it dosent float but other than that its good line, especially if u plan on drift fishing with a pin

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |