LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#929672 - 05/10/15 11:47 PM Kid is a STUD!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yeah, I realize it's commercial fishin' and that they're low-holin' the home team....

BUT....

I can't help but acknowledge the hard work and effort put into harvesting and delivering a truly PREMIUM product.

These are hard workin' folks operating within what the law permits. Can't fault them for that. Beats the hell out of a trawl net or gillnet.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#929691 - 05/11/15 10:08 AM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Good hard honest way to make a living there! You are correct a premium product with fish properly processed and iced down for storage! Nice!

#929700 - 05/11/15 11:53 AM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
That "product" probably comes out better that leaving them in the trunk of the Caddy parked outside the tavern.

#929705 - 05/11/15 01:29 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Nice product.....well taken care of.Good luck,

SZ

#929752 - 05/11/15 07:30 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
If I ever have to buy salmon, I sure hope I can find fish like that. That kid appears to be a hard working pro

-tony

Edited by Salmo_Gairdneri (05/11/15 07:32 PM)

#929755 - 05/11/15 07:39 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

That really brings back some fond memories.

#929757 - 05/11/15 07:52 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: Keta]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I appreciate the way they take care of the fish, that's how it should be done. I wish Jack sold ice out of the hose like that in Chinook!

#929764 - 05/11/15 08:17 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I wanna know where a guy gets a holda some of them "shoe horn" king spoons.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#929775 - 05/11/15 08:55 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
I wanna know where a guy gets a holda some of them "shoe horn" king spoons.

Those are Superior spoons, very popular in S.E. AK among the commercial and some charter guys. I've used them and had some banner days with them.
I haven't seen them here in WA., most sporting goods stores or commercial fishing supply stores (Murray Pacific) in S.E. AK have them.
Ebay has a bunch of them.

Edited by AkKings (05/11/15 08:56 PM)

#929779 - 05/11/15 09:57 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#929781 - 05/11/15 10:25 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

A strange thing about some of the commercial trolling gear is that the hot commercial gear isn't all that hot when sport fished. I tend to think that it has something to do with the quantity of gear in the water. Some gear works well when "schooled" together. It also depends on the bite. Gear that is easy to get and keep decent action with will get a lot of fish when the bit is on. Those are probably the lures that don't work so well sport fishing. When I was scratch fishing I threw in more finicky but effective gear ,like spinner cut herring behind a dodger or flasher for example. When the bite was on the spoons and plugs came out because you could run through the gear faster and stack a lot of fish. I didn't know any trollers that ran those Superior spoons in WA. Kind of like the Pixie spoons that are used a lot in Alaska but don't seem to work very well down here. Disclaimer: I was trolling back in the 70's&80's and keeping up with what the hot gear seemed to change on a seemly daily basis.

Edited by Keta (05/11/15 10:27 PM)
Edit Reason: [Bleeeeep!] spelling

#929784 - 05/11/15 10:37 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
Seattle Marine/ Fishery Supply in Ballard has those "superior spoons" and tons of other trolling spoons. I trolled a 6" mother of pearl in Elliot Bay back in the days when you could fish there. Like plugs, little fish don't get hooked by 'em and when those hooks find a purchase, they stay hooked!

#933669 - 07/07/15 01:31 AM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: Keta]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Keta
A strange thing about some of the commercial trolling gear is that the hot commercial gear isn't all that hot when sport fished. I tend to think that it has something to do with the quantity of gear in the water. Some gear works well when "schooled" together. It also depends on the bite. Gear that is easy to get and keep decent action with will get a lot of fish when the bit is on. Those are probably the lures that don't work so well sport fishing. When I was scratch fishing I threw in more finicky but effective gear ,like spinner cut herring behind a dodger or flasher for example. When the bite was on the spoons and plugs came out because you could run through the gear faster and stack a lot of fish. I didn't know any trollers that ran those Superior spoons in WA. Kind of like the Pixie spoons that are used a lot in Alaska but don't seem to work very well down here. Disclaimer: I was trolling back in the 70's&80's and keeping up with what the hot gear seemed to change on a seemly daily basis.

Lo and behold, stuff that works... well... WORKS! The same silly fish caught by the SE-AK trollers eventually find their way to home waters.. and guess what... they still bite the same silly spoons!

And just so no one thinks it was a fluke, they bit my hangback hooch version of that 50/50 brass/copper Superior Spoon over and over again. Kings, silvers, and pinks... NONE were shy about grabbing the goods over the weekend.

DAD... do I really have to pose ONE MORE?

KUDOS to BathTubBob for adding another killer addition to my collection of bent metal. You'da'man, Bob!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933695 - 07/07/15 03:05 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
Jumbo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, Wa
That is a badass salt spoon setup. Can you share how you're rigging that?

#933712 - 07/07/15 07:32 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Seems like the spoons get a hell of a lot better smiles down south here though - I'd say they work better!

Nice work.

#933719 - 07/07/15 09:21 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: Jumbo]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Jumbo
That is a badass salt spoon setup. Can you share how you're rigging that?

Be on the lookout within a near-future issue of SSJ

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933720 - 07/07/15 09:22 PM Re: Kid is a STUD! [Re: Salmo_Gairdneri]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Salmo_Gairdneri
Seems like the spoons get a hell of a lot better smiles down south here though - I'd say they work better!

Nice work.

BTW full report with more pics here...

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=10473922#post10473922

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 945 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |