Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#936119 - 08/05/15 06:30 PM Downrigger Installation Question
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm looking to install downriggers on a 16.5ft Smokercraft. There appears to be enough room on the gunwale to install a Scotty swivel mount (http://scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/downrigger-mounting-systems/1026-pedestal-swivel-mount.htm).

They recommend using a backing plate, which makes sense. But as best I can tell, there is no way to access the underside of the gunwale (absent cutting an access hole in the aluminum, which I do not intend to do). Same problem if I wanted to use the right angle side mount (http://scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment...unnel-mount.htm)

So what's the recommended solution? Just screw in without a backing plate?

#936129 - 08/05/15 07:10 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
My question is....why use downriggers?

Watch out, especially if you put them on the stern quarter. Hang one of them up in a current it aint gonna be purty.

Edited by gregsalmon (08/05/15 07:24 PM)

#936132 - 08/05/15 07:29 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
No, they need to be bolted in. There is no way to access the underside to put nuts on the bolts you drop through? Pics of the gunwale?

#936135 - 08/05/15 08:10 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Now that I think about it more, there may be a section where I can access the underside of the gunwale. I'll double check tomorrow and update.

#936191 - 08/06/15 08:24 AM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Unfortunately, it being the height of summer, I'd have to leave the boat there for 3 weeks waiting my turn in line or schedule an appt for October or something, and I want to get the riggers on before then.

#936196 - 08/06/15 09:18 AM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: ]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: Chuck S
Call Curt @ 3Rivers ... go have a beer while they install the mounts.

After spending 3 hrs installing the stupid things on neighbors older Olympic, I would tell him to do the same next time.

Only problem with that is they are 3 weeks out on service and you have to drop it off now for them to work on it in 3 weeks when they get thru the 80+ boats sitting there waiting to get worked on.

Seems they could give people a couple days notice to drop the boat off rather than have us park our boats on their lot all summer waiting for service. Great shop but I'm going elsewhere to have my trim tabs installed. Drop off Monday and pick up Tuesday.

#936202 - 08/06/15 10:09 AM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: gregsalmon]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: gregsalmon

To catch dogfish, obviously!

#936238 - 08/06/15 02:21 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
Rivet nuts could be part of your solution. I felt more comfortable mounting a backing plate with 1/4 pop rivets and then using the rivet nuts in the plate. My scotties have held that way for several years.

One tip... the rivet nuts want to spin if you are lazy with the installation. Drill the hole the right size and torque them tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaMsvai0FA

#936281 - 08/06/15 07:06 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

So, turns out there is a way to access the underside of the gunwales (although I may have to remove wiring conduit to get good access on one side), but there is 4 inches of styrofoam/flotation stuff immediately underneath the gunwales that I'll have to remove to put in a backing plate.

So, assuming I do that (or pay someone else to do that), what are peoples opinions on how far fore/aft to mount downriggers? Most of the boats I've been on have them mounted fairly close to the stern, but there are already holes drilled on one side (didn't notice that before, and not certain if they are the right configuration) that I could reuse. They are a bit closer to the console than to the transom, which is further forward than I would have expected.

#936354 - 08/07/15 02:06 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Originally Posted By: MPM
Originally Posted By: gregsalmon

To catch dogfish, obviously!

Hey now...

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#936388 - 08/07/15 08:05 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
I'd put them where I can reach them easily. That probably doesn't help much.

#936412 - 08/08/15 12:47 PM Re: Downrigger Installation Question [Re: MPM]
death to snaggers Offline
Eyed Egg

I have a 16' Smokercraft Lodge, and I mounted my riggers with a plate that is made for a Smokercraft Alaskan. You can get them from Auburn Sports and Marine or Sportco. I think it was $35 for each plate, plus the cost of the stainless hardware. I have had them on my boat for years and have never had a problem. I run 12 or 15 pound balls, have gotten snagged on bottom, crab pots, etc. and they are still strong. I even have the Brutus Pot Puller that I attach to these same mounts and they pull my big, commercial style pots full of crab without issue.
Correction, I had ONE rivet start to work it's way loose after 3 years of abuse. Simple enough though, I drilled it out, put in a new rivet and expect to get another 3 or more years out of it before having to do anything to it.
Like Myassis, mine are mounted about 49" from the transom on the port side and 54" on the starboard. Never had an issue with the lines getting caught in the motor. Hope this helps. PS, here are some pics of the mounts...

[img]http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14649[/img] [img]http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14648[/img] [img]http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14647[/img]

Also, you can't see it in the pics, but I put a piece of 3/4" HDPE under the plate for a backing material. Good luck!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |