LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#986583 - 03/11/18 08:32 AM Satsop Springs hatchery?
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

With the nice weather this weekend, I thought I might enjoy getting out on a year-round lake to soak up vitamin D and hopefully be reminded what it feels like to get a bite while fishing (try as I might, I just don't catch a ton of steelhead). I took a look at the stocking reports, to see if my favorite local lake had received its annual plant of jumbos from the Satsop Springs hatchery. I didn't see my lake in the stocking reports, so I figured they might not have been planted yet. Next, I decided to check the plan, to see when it is planned to go down.

I can't find the Satsop Springs hatchery anywhere in the reports or the plan. Does anyone know if the hatchery is still operating/if the trout program is still going?

I just noticed the "plan" on WDFW's site is last year's plan. Still didn't find Satsop Springs anywhere in the document, and I'm pretty sure the fish got planted last year, so it might just be a gap in the data. I've seen them included in these reports in the past....

#986584 - 03/11/18 08:47 AM Re: Satsop Springs hatchery? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Satsop Springs is still operating.....

I went for a drive around the "loop", recently.....decided I would drive to Satsop Springs. just for a "lookie lou".....no such luck, gate closed.

That's what I know.

WDFW isn't the best agency to inform the tax paying public exactly what changes they plan to do or have done in the immediate past....

I hate "day light saving time", throws my time clock off!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#986590 - 03/11/18 05:29 PM Re: Satsop Springs hatchery? [Re: DrifterWA]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Satsop Springs is still operating.....

I went for a drive around the "loop", recently.....decided I would drive to Satsop Springs. just for a "lookie lou".....no such luck, gate closed.

That's what I know.

WDFW isn't the best agency to inform the tax paying public exactly what changes they plan to do or have done in the immediate past....

I hate "day light saving time", throws my time clock off!!!!!

The state doesn't run that hatchery, it is a Chehalis Basin project, although the state supplies initial fry. Melanie and I volunteer to help move those fish, they should be in by end of March. Many other folk volunteer for these fish, If you know them thank them, those are great trout! Bob R

#986606 - 03/12/18 07:08 AM Re: Satsop Springs hatchery? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It's a nice set-up that grows some really pretty trout.

#986609 - 03/12/18 08:49 AM Re: Satsop Springs hatchery? [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
It's a nice set-up that grows some really pretty trout.

Agreed. I like what they do. I enjoy bringing a few of those high quality lunkers to hand each season with a bug rod. It's become a favorite rite of spring. Glad to know they're keepin' on.

#986618 - 03/12/18 12:25 PM Re: Satsop Springs hatchery? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
They produce "nice" trout for the same reason that WDFW produces "nicer" fish than the commercial trout hatcheries. Satsop raises their fish in a low-density/high feed situation (or did). WDFW could do this, get the same type and size of fish, and plant significantly fewer. So, your OD catch would 1 or 2 instead of 5 or 6.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |