LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#661167 - 02/07/11 06:19 PM And the 'Duc claims another one ...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
This time in Shuwah ... predominately equipment failure from what I heard. Crappy cleat anchor release that slipped in rapid and hung and took the boat down stern first.

One more reason to have gravity releases and a sharp knife out of the sheath next to your anchor at all times ... wait, the article that came out a few days back that I was interviewed for stated those very things.

Don't be a tightwad when it comes to properly equipping your boats.

Now he's looking at a $800 offer to get it out for him.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#661168 - 02/07/11 06:25 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Bob]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Bummer...

Hope they got out okay and retrieved some of their gear

#661169 - 02/07/11 06:26 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Driftfishnw]
COOPDUCK Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lake Stevens
Like a giant bait diver...

#661170 - 02/07/11 06:30 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: COOPDUCK]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
Darwin.

#661172 - 02/07/11 06:33 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Driftfishnw]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted By: Driftfishnw
Bummer...

Hope they got out okay and retrieved some of their gear

All sounds okay people-wise, no idea on gear loss.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#661177 - 02/07/11 06:59 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Bob]
lavro8 Offline
Fry

Loc: K-Penn
Got buddies out there fishin, and we are headed out that way tomorrow for a few days. They waited for the guys that lost there boat to finish fishing the elbow above shuwah so that they could fish it for a bit. Then saw the guy comin back up stream with his lifejacket on. Figured somethin went a rye based on how the guy looked so they pulled over to see if all was well. Guy said his achor rope popped out going down through and sunk it quick like. Lost everything but a coffee can with some stuff in it. Skipped over the rest of the drift to take the guys to Whitcolm, cold and wet but they are okay. Be safe out there!!!

#661224 - 02/07/11 10:09 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: lavro8]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Same thing happened to a buddy last year, though he thankfully didn't lose his boat. When he realized what was going on (in about .3 milliseconds...) he managed to uncleat the rope, and let it all run out through the pulleys, losing only the anchor and rope.

+ 1 on the knife (I have one on the gunwale just behind my right oar lock)

and NO knots in the end of your anchor rope...

#661226 - 02/07/11 10:13 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: lavro8]
shawn k Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I floated by there about 1:30 and the boat was upside down in the rapid. By the time I got past the culvert hole some of their stuff was floating by me. The boat popped loose and Mike Z grabbed it and tied it off on the gravel bar at the culvert hole.

Edited by shawn k (02/07/11 10:47 PM)

#661231 - 02/07/11 10:35 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: shawn k]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Good to hear Ma'Nature didn't decide to make an example of them....
Respect,live n learn....Know your limits...

#661233 - 02/07/11 10:51 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: shawn k]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Mike is a good guy. Glad everyone is OK. I think I'll be taking the knot out of my anchor rope.

Bob: Not to sound like a Dumbass, but can you specify what a gravity release is? I have a v lock. Should I upgrade to some type of cam anchor lock? What is the best set up?

Thanks

#661246 - 02/07/11 11:47 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: ]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
Damn. I was just untied the knot in my anchor line friday night before fishing the duc this weekend. Had a really bad feeling about it. Glad I did. Good to hear everyone was okay though.

#661254 - 02/08/11 12:12 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: metaladdiction]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted By: metaladdiction
Mike is a good guy. Glad everyone is OK. I think I'll be taking the knot out of my anchor rope.

Bob: Not to sound like a Dumbass, but can you specify what a gravity release is? I have a v lock. Should I upgrade to some type of cam anchor lock? What is the best set up?

Thanks

"Gravity" drops require that the rope be held at an angle upward for rope to release. Clam cleats that come stock on so many boats simply pay line out and then are wedged in ... as they wear, they become very dangerous.

Before the advent of the Lee-lock that is the easiest to obtain these days, every hardcore on the coast ran a similar unit (and his oarlocks as well) from a fellow by the name of Carnevalli (sp, may be a 'a'). His son later founded all the R-A-M mounts. Many of us still run the oarlocks and many grabbed what few new sets still were in circulation as his health failed.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#661258 - 02/08/11 12:32 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Bob]
SteelieBob Offline
Alevin

Loc: Montesano, WA
When I come to an area thatI definitely can't afford a wild anchor, I tie a big slip knot in the line just outside the cleat. If it does go out it will only drop about 6 inchs and stop at the pulley. I've been hung up on wood twice and got the boat in a configuration that about filled my waders and not with water!!! Both times it was caused by trying to anchor in too fast of water to hold. Then trying to get the anchor back up before slaming into a sweeper. That knot keeps me from makeing a third mistake.

#661259 - 02/08/11 12:33 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Bob]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Bob,
What type of system are you using on your raft?
I've currently got a foot release, but I'm not enamored with it. If there is a better system for rafts, I'd appreciate any input you can provide.
Thanks,
Brian

#661260 - 02/08/11 12:45 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Twitch]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Twitch

and NO knots in the end of your anchor rope...

In regular boats you make fast the bitter end of your anchor rode. I guess in drift boats, you do that, you will have a bitter end...

#661267 - 02/08/11 01:14 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: stonefish]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Bob,
What type of system are you using on your raft?
I've currently got a foot release, but I'm not enamored with it. If there is a better system for rafts, I'd appreciate any input you can provide.
Thanks,
Brian

Std. roller system on the raft, but the clam cleat was replaced with a leelock gravity cleat. Can't say I've seen one on the floor before in a raft?

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#661282 - 02/08/11 02:10 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Bob]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the info Bob.

#661325 - 02/08/11 11:27 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: metaladdiction]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Dam,glad everyone got out safe.Good luck,
SZ

#662509 - 02/12/11 07:35 PM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Just picked up a new side pulley LeeLock at the Sportsmans Show.

They even have a nice little plug from Bob in their brochure. smile

They have special show pricing if anyone else is looking to upgrade. thumbs

#662614 - 02/13/11 11:58 AM Re: And the 'Duc claims another one ... [Re: Twitch]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I upgraded to the same LeeLock gravity cleat on my DB last summer....money well spent. thumbs

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
brandy, chuckr37, Dick Boneski, Dickie, RobEstlund
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 728 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |