Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#941099 - 10/15/15 10:52 AM River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

If you were in a blue Lavaro yesterday fishing a North Coast river and one of you was fishing a center pin set-up, you really need to brush up on river etiquette. It is not cool to drop anchor 30 feet (yes 30 feet) directly in front of two shore bound anglers that have been drifting bobbers and eggs, as well as spinners and jigs, through that hole for a good two hours before you showed up. And then to cast your bobber and eggs 5 feet from our feet. We were out to have a good time, so we bit our tongues. We didn't need a confrontation to ruin a nice day on at the river. Just so you know that will never happen again. Ever. You had a whole river you could access. We had 50 feet. For the hour and a half you were anchored 30 feet (YES 30 FEET!!) you prevented us from drifting our bobbers through a part of the hole that held fish, but also prevented us from tossing our spinners and spoons that were also producing. And when you finally pulled anchor you drifted down and did exactly the same thing to two other shore bound anglers tossing spinners. In all my years I personally had never seen as rude as behavior as I saw yesterday. As I said, never again. That dog don't hunt. You want to fish that hole, then go down and beach your boat and walk up and join us on the shore. We would have welcomed you, but that isn't happening again.

#941100 - 10/15/15 10:59 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
That sux ballz...............I would not have kept my mouth shut.........in that rude situation.......Good luck,

SZ

#941101 - 10/15/15 11:04 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Why bite your tongue? An idiot isn't going to know he's an idiot until you tell him so.

#941103 - 10/15/15 11:13 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Salmo g.]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Why bite your tongue? An idiot isn't going to know he's an idiot until you tell him so.

beer

#941106 - 10/15/15 11:21 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Welcome to Washington.

#941107 - 10/15/15 11:22 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Salmo g.]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

In hindsight, we should have spoke up. After seeing what they did after pulled anchor and drifted down to where those others two shore anglers were and then do to them what they did to us, these two apparently make this behavior a habit. Very distinct boat. That's why I said it isn't happening again.

#941113 - 10/15/15 12:58 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

That was Fishdoctor and I. Sorry about that. But yes, please speak up next time, we would have definitely moved on down. You guys seemed ok with it to us. We even talked about it later in the day that it was nice that you guys didn't mind. Same thing happened to me in that popular hole the previous day when I was banking it, but not as close I admit. I didn't mind though since there was plenty of fish for everyone. I'm sure Fishdoctor will chime in if he sees this and apologize also. His boat. Next time we'll ask before setting anchor. Sorry again.

#941114 - 10/15/15 12:58 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Why not post the boat numbers/

#941120 - 10/15/15 01:26 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I almost posed the question of why somebody would bother posting this kind of stuff on a fishing forum instead of speaking up, but then I remembered something:

I think Steelspanker touched on one major reason why folks are reluctant to speak up at times. You never know how soneone's going to react to being told they're being an azzhole, and some nutjobs pack guns with them everywhere they go. In addition, when someone's acting like an azzhole, there's a fair chance they are, in fact, an azzhole, which makes them likely to react poorly to even friendly correction. Personally, I don't think my perceived right to a piece of water is worth an ass-kicking or worse, so I usually just swallow the anger.

Apparently, the OP would have made out fine in this case had he spoken up (anyone who apologizes after realizing they pissed someone off is a reasonable person who was only being an azzhole accidentally), but who knows?

#941122 - 10/15/15 01:45 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

It was all my fault also. I did well in the same spot off the bank the previous day so I suggested fishing the same spot. All on me. Sorry.

#941129 - 10/15/15 05:00 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: outfishn]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: outfishn
That was Fishdoctor and I. Sorry about that. But yes, please speak up next time, we would have definitely moved on down. You guys seemed ok with it to us. We even talked about it later in the day that it was nice that you guys didn't mind. Same thing happened to me in that popular hole the previous day when I was banking it, but not as close I admit. I didn't mind though since there was plenty of fish for everyone. I'm sure Fishdoctor will chime in if he sees this and apologize also. His boat. Next time we'll ask before setting anchor. Sorry again.

Outfishn, thanks for the apology. I hope next time you guys think twice about where you drop the hook, especially as a sometime banker you know how limited the access is. A boater has plenty of nice spots us bankies can't access. Please put yourself in the bankers shoes especially when they are there first or ask. We would have told you to beach the boat like you later did and join us on the bank. Anyway it's water under the bridge. Tight lines......

#941138 - 10/15/15 07:36 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I've been bank fishing over there for 25+ years and have had very few instances where I had problems with boats. The last one was a young guide with 2 clients that anchored (where I was casting) below me at the Sol Duc hatchery. When I got ready to leave I started throwing rocks in back of them. It was kind of fun watching them turn around. Trying to figure out what was happening. If I wasn't about done (no fish) I would have let them know.

On the other side. I always appreciate the guys that will row in back of me/row on the inside when I'm casting a slot etc. I in turn often let them work an area if I have been pounding it for a time and haven't gotten anything. Part of that is, I'll take a break and grab a bite to eat. The other part is curiosity. Will pulling plugs etc produce a fish I couldn't get. And if it does, where.

My latest issue has been people from out of town that must think all fishing is Combat Fishing. Some of these people have no clue about Etiquette. 2 years in a row now I have stepped out of the river, once to help my wife and once to get something out of my truck ( 10 ft away) only to have a guy take my spot and tell me "you left the river". Both times this happened in a spot where the fish are on the move and the guy above me was hooking a few fish. Both times they moved. Once after I made sure to get tangled with the guy and left him with a mess. 2nd time was after my wife told him he was a small dic..d..... Later that night we found out the small dic..d boy did the same thing to a lady 20 yards down.

So, Am I wrong on my thoughts? Was I right to tell them to leave. Go back to where you were.

Thanks

#941141 - 10/15/15 09:01 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Hey Blktailhunter,
Yep, that was me in my old blue Lavro, fishing with Outfishn. I also will apologize to you. I guess I got too close to where you were fishing with the boat, I apologize. I didn't think I was too close to you, but obviously it was. I will keep my distance next time. I think we were a lot further than 30 feet, but if you were bothered then it was too close. I tried to maintain a good distance and let everyone fish. I did start to notice that it would be better for us to just bank that hole, instead of fish out across from you, so that is what we did after about 10 minutes anchored. It seems you wanted us to do that also by your post, we could have moved sooner. Anyways, I do appreciate the issue of limited bank access on this river, and that you had walked in, as Outfishn did the day before, and I have numerous times also. We did not mean to crowd you or cause you angst, I like to be very courteous to other anglers all the time. I guess in one way it was nice that we didn't have a confrontation, as that would suk, thank you. I think we could have talked about this on the river, but I understand why you didn't. We all need to be aware of others on the river and be friendly and good natured. I try my best.
Good luck to you in your fishing.
Chris

#941142 - 10/15/15 09:15 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: FishDoctor]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Originally Posted By: FishDoctor
Hey Blktailhunter,
Yep, that was me in my old blue Lavro, fishing with Outfishn. I also will apologize to you. I guess I got too close to where you were fishing with the boat, I apologize. I didn't think I was too close to you, but obviously it was. I will keep my distance next time. I think we were a lot further than 30 feet, but if you were bothered then it was too close. I tried to maintain a good distance and let everyone fish. I did start to notice that it would be better for us to just bank that hole, instead of fish out across from you, so that is what we did after about 10 minutes anchored. It seems you wanted us to do that also by your post, we could have moved sooner. Anyways, I do appreciate the issue of limited bank access on this river, and that you had walked in, as Outfishn did the day before, and I have numerous times also. We did not mean to crowd you or cause you angst, I like to be very courteous to other anglers all the time. I guess in one way it was nice that we didn't have a confrontation, as that would suk, thank you. I think we could have talked about this on the river, but I understand why you didn't. We all need to be aware of others on the river and be friendly and good natured. I try my best.
Good luck to you in your fishing.
Chris

Don't know any of you but seems like the banking dudes and the boater dudes are all stand up.

I was thinking this scenario would play out very differently.

Best,

#941144 - 10/15/15 09:27 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter
Outfishn, thanks for the apology. I hope next time you guys think twice about where you drop the hook, especially as a sometime banker you know how limited the access is. A boater has plenty of nice spots us bankies can't access. Please put yourself in the bankers shoes especially when they are there first or ask. We would have told you to beach the boat like you later did and join us on the bank. Anyway it's water under the bridge. Tight lines......

I definitely will!

#941150 - 10/16/15 05:08 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Glad this got resolved in a civil manner. I think most folks are good people and can resolve their issues with good discourse. Boats should ask if they can fish a slot and Bankies should politely speak up if they feel they are being crapped on. Boats should either swing way wide or come in close to shore. There is no reason to go through a guy's slot or anchor up. Just talk it out.

However, Flea touched on something. Lots of guys are packin' heat these days, so I can see why some don't want to push it. It's a sad state of affairs that it’s come to that.

There's a poster on here that doesn't post much anymore and said poster actually had a Bankie fire up his chainsaw and try wading out to his boat until it got too deep. That hole is now called "Chainsaw". WTF people? This isn't the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and we ain't Gang Bangers. Chill everyone....a fish isn't worth it.

#941157 - 10/16/15 08:56 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Fight! Fight! Fight!

......Oh wait.

Damn.
I want to be a fisherman.

#941158 - 10/16/15 10:05 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I personally think the two dudes who apologized are straight up awesome.
It takes a big man to admit his mistakes.

Good job.

#941162 - 10/16/15 10:35 AM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: Blktailhunter]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Straight up dude man up......Cool to read this and see this situation has been righted. Good luck,

SZ

#941172 - 10/16/15 01:27 PM Re: River Etiquette - Blue Lavaro [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
That sux ballz...............I would not have kept my mouth shut.........in that rude situation.......Good luck,

SZ

Yep, some f bombs would have been directed their way, are people this phugging stupid or are they just trying to piss people off. Probably both.

- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 560 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |