http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/cabezon/

I was hoping this wasn't going to happen, but Commissioner Jennings is a tenacious fellow. Nevermind the fact that the tide seems to really be turning against him...he's proving to be a real go-getter.

Just to re-iterate...this change may seem insignificant but in effect will close all bottomfishing in the sound to just 45 days a year. Right now it's 210 days, because Cabezon is open until Nov. 30th in most marine areas.

Please don't say "this change doesn't really affect me because I don't fish for cabezon." This issue is less about cabezon and more about blunt, sweeping, unsubstantiated restriction of fishing opportunity.

WDFW itself describes Cabezon numbers with the adjective "stable". Plain and simple, this is part of Jennings' (un-stated but obvious) plan to reduce all bottomfishing in WA to just 45 days a year. Despite the fact that science does not back him up. If we allow them to chip away at opportunity like this, then he will achieve his goal before our very eyes.

One thing is for certain, public comment DOES matter. They tally the "for" and "against" comments and it actually is a factor in their decisionmaking. So it will be very important to comment, and to publicize.