Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#559930 - 11/30/09 11:24 AM rod guides
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Got a question for you fly guys. I build rods as a hobby and at present I am working on a 6wt Batson blank. I have a preference for utilizing single foot ceramic guides in the top section of a two piece rather than the traditional wire.

That said is there any real difference in performance as it relates to the guide height from the rod shaft? In casting rods using concept spacing it makes considerable difference as to sensitivity of the rod low riders matched up to distance between / matched to the spline is the ball game so to speak. A guy in Delaware got me using a spacing similar to concept spacing on a casting rod as you can create a far more responsive rod by maintaining pressure evenly through the arch in the shaft when fighting a fish.

As fly rods basically hang line similar to a spinning rod it would seem that the guide height from the blank would be more a personal choice or am I out to lunch here?

#559986 - 11/30/09 02:02 PM Re: rod guides [Re: Rivrguy]
c fraz Offline
Parr

Loc: United States
I built a five weight a while back with one footed guides and have had no issues with performace. Unlike how the guides keep the line off the rod and prevent it from sticking to the blank when wet, also seems to cast easier and mend with less effort.

#560027 - 11/30/09 04:20 PM Re: rod guides [Re: c fraz]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It's mostly a personal preference issue. You can do whatever you like. Most casters prefer keeping the weight of the guides down so as to not interfere with the action of the blank, but that's generally not an issue with any modern graphite rod blank. I have one rod that came with snake wire guides, but they are of the high loop variety. The notion is that they reduce line slap and friction on the rod blank when shooting line into a cast. I'm a good caster, not an expert or tournament caster, so I'm among the 99.9% of fly casters who don't notice and can't notice any difference.

Most things of this nature don't amount to a hill'o'beans. On any given day, wind direction and speed have more effect on my casting than any other factor.

Sg

#560053 - 11/30/09 05:11 PM Re: rod guides [Re: Salmo g.]
adamh Offline
Alevin

its mostly personal preference. but, i would suggest not using ceramics on a fly rod other then the stripper guides, it makes the tip a bit heavy. when i build a rod i will put single foot wire guides on blanks up to a 6 wt. wts 7 and up will get the double foot snake guides.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1458 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |