Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121737 - 09/20/01 08:39 PM Regulating days for guides or boats in general
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but I think it might be a good way to cut down on the animosity between guides,power boaters,and bank fisherman.Plus boost catch rates for everybody.
What would you people think about rationing out days that boats or maybe just guides can be on the river.Say every other day or something of the sort.
I've seen and heard so many times of problems between guides and Bankies,that maybe this would help the problem.Especially on rivers like the Cowlitz,where there are huge numbers of guides on it when the silvers are in.
Myself I think that it would surely make for a much better experience for the bank fisherman,And giudes clients.plus help their catch rate,because the fish would have a chance to settle down and be more willing to bite.The fish might hold better and take bait more readily for everybody.Plus it could be a better experience for clients because they don't see the animosity that goes on between the Bank fisherman and guides.
We all know its out there.Some guides are more courteous towards bankies and don't have as much trouble.But I have seen a lot of name calling and hollering and screaming,plus a few actual assaults.We need to find a good balance between everybody so the fishing experience is a good one for everybody out there.
I really don't know,but I have heard that this is done in Alaska.Anybody know anything about this.How it works etc.
Lets here your input.Maybe this has been covered on here before but I don't remember seeing it.

cool

#121738 - 09/20/01 09:07 PM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
pokey Offline
Fry

Loc: Elk Grove, CA, USA
Sure, why not. We can ban bankies from the river for a few days per month too. Then we can have days when poor people can't fish, then days that rich people can't fish. Then we can start by banning certain races on some days too. Sounds like giant step backwards to me.

Pokeism

#121739 - 09/20/01 10:08 PM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Something like this was tried in S.E. Ak. last year and it failed miserably, fish and game tried to close king fishing to all charters on Wednesdays and was going to close king fishing completely in mid-July (they had never entirely closed a king fishery before) well after a bunch of mom and pop lodges and other guides threatened to sue the state for loss of revenue without any substancial proof of poor king runs,they decided there were actually enough fish to keep things open for the rest of the season.

#121740 - 09/20/01 11:21 PM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
One thing that I have seen-and I know that this will go over like a lead brick- is to ban outboard motors. I know lots of guys use them here, and they certainly do increase the chances for catching fish. About 15 years ago ALL motors were banned from the Smith River in N. California. The problem was that the water is almost always gin clear, and the fish were spooky. Nothing pi$$ed me off more than fishing an area where fish were holding and having someone scream over the slot with a jet. Talk about game over!! Drift boats are quiet, and they don't disturb the fish-as much. Problem is, you usually only get one shot at the slot before the current takes you on down the river. I have had guys in jets BLAST by me in my drift boat on the Cowlitz way too close , while others slow down and go way around. I guess it all depends on the individual. A quota on the number of boats? Sounds good in a way, but what about all of us poor suckers who have to work all week and can only get out on the weekend? Are we going to be denied the right to fish? I don't think that is too good of an idea. My thoughts are that if we all (wishful thinking) cool exhibit good sportsmanship, this won't be a problem.

#121741 - 09/20/01 11:46 PM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
The only thing I would like to see is that the guides can't fish. It usually it ends up the client is basically fishing with 2 rods.

#121742 - 09/21/01 02:11 AM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pokester? B-Run basically called you out! I found some implications in his posts. Any explanation? Myself I haven't found your posts paricularly constructive.

#121743 - 09/21/01 07:26 AM Re: Regulating days for guides or boats in general
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
Then what you are saying is that the day the guides are on the water you stay home from work so that there is no cars on the road to make the drive more relaxing for the day he can fish.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |