THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121351 - 09/13/01 10:14 PM KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
DRIFT BEGINNER Offline
Parr

Loc: longview, wa cowlitz
Just wondering if any one has any info on the big bust on the kalama down at the R.V. park. The info i got was the wardens were down their writing tickets left and right. If this did happen im glad, i have drove over their a few times and could not fathom what was going on. They were all their just snagging like crazy not hiding it a bit. I hope that if this is true that the gammies continue to make a strong presence. I know it isnt going to stop the snaggers but i hope they are nervious as eek when their down their doing their deeds.
Anyway enough from me good luck and good fishing drift beginner smile

#121352 - 09/13/01 11:07 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
Yes they had a field day 350$ a pop hopefully it is a more than once show!!!

#121353 - 09/14/01 04:23 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I hope this is true. If so, it's excellent!!! I was down there yesterday (9/13) just to observe and it was a major snag fest. There was probably a hundred "anglers", all of them snagging. If the WDFW can clear those guys out of there, the catch rate upstream will improve considerably. My thoughts are that with those guys there, the fish are harrassed to the point where they won't bite as they move upstream. But maybe that's just an excuse since I've been skunked the last couple times out. But nonetheless, it's good to hear they got busted. laugh

#121354 - 09/14/01 05:03 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
Please be true, something gotta happen, illegal fishing and poaching is getting way our of control. Makes me sick!!!!

#121355 - 09/15/01 12:22 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
DRIFT BEGINNER Offline
Parr

Loc: longview, wa cowlitz
Well went for a drive with my wife today up to the toutle to see if any silvers were in yet, well the only thing i seen was a bunch of snaggers hooking fish in the ast. My wife was even irritated at their blatent actions. They were just casting and jerking, reeling in the slack after the jerk and jerking again. What frustration i wanted to say something but all it would have done was cause a fight, and lord knows i really don't need any more of that kind of trouble eek. Anyway we left its sad to see that the silvers are not even their yet and their already at it. I guess what their doing is getting their practice on the chinooks before the coho show. DRIHT BEGINNER

#121356 - 09/15/01 01:36 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another hotbed of lowbrow snaggers! Not putting the complainers down but do you' all have any suggestions that are legal? There 's a place to do this if you didn't notice? One of the things we need is to identify the time and place of snagfests so as best apply our assets now and in the future! We all have choices 1) whine but do nothing or 2) join the new school of chromers who are lookin to do something. Hey your choice...but why whine on this board if you're only a whiner? rolleyes Those who want to just whine ...hey this isn't my board and it's a free country. Peace.

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#121357 - 09/15/01 01:47 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
For those of you that don't know. There is a toll free hotline that you can call to report illegal activities that you see. You can also fill out a incident report form online.

1-800-477-6224

STOP WASHINGTON POACHERS

I encorage those that witness this illegal activity to report it each time they see it happen. This will alert the WDFG to the problem so that an enforcement action can be taken. If it can't happen immediately because of resources, it will happen eventually at that location, if more people report on the activity that they are seeing. An added bonus of this would be that a database is then amased on the problem. WDFG then has the data to back up the request for more funds for enforcement from the legislature when the time comes.

You are the stewards, it's your resource.
Time to be active, not passive.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Gregor ]

#121358 - 09/16/01 08:28 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
NW_rvrbank_Babe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lebanon Or, Kalama Wa
My question is, "What is the sport in snagging?" It is out of control at the RV hole. Drove by yesterday, 5/15 and it was elbow to elbow.
And yes cohoangler, the fish are spooked by the time they reach us up here. Ive seen a few that have bit eggs, but its sad when you land a beautiful 10-15 lb. Silver and it has 3-5 corkies in its arse.

#121359 - 09/16/01 07:11 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
That's odd that people would be snagging on the Toutle...... Those fish are good biters! You don't even have to "line" them. I've always used straight eggs and had very good results. It's not like those fish are lock jawed.

#121360 - 09/16/01 09:47 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Toutle fish-not lockjawed? For me they are. You just use eggs, no corky? cool

#121361 - 09/16/01 10:09 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
fishysmell'n Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: tenino
Was at the meat hole at the lewis, and the RV park on the kalama. What a zoo, seen someone on the johnson creek side get busted for something. the toutle river fish are not lock-jawed they were busting hard around 2-3:00 pm today. I got two myself after an hour or so. laugh

#121362 - 09/17/01 12:33 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

No $hit, fishysmell'n? The silvers are in? I just told somebody else they weren't in, since that's what everybody else has been sayin' lately.

#121363 - 09/17/01 08:47 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
On the snagging issue lived in Washington State for many years and saw few game wardens. Here in Oregon the Oregon State Police do the game checks with very few wardens. Lots of Police at the end of a 911 call. And I can guarentee they will come ... now!

"Hatchery Hole" at top end of Rogue was a total zoo (hence real name of "zoo hole." OSP isued 162 $300 tickets in 30 days;more if you count the just fishing in closed waters. ($300 if you hooked beached an illg. fish) When you involve the local police (empower them with game duties) you'll see a lot less snagging.

Something about a 6'2" 200# uniformed officer get these folks attention.
fe

#121364 - 09/17/01 08:59 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Wow! Very interesting little tidbit.

By the way, welcome to the board, Fred. smile

#121365 - 09/17/01 10:07 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you not sure if anything will happen if you call in or e-mail your complaints to WDF I am posting this in hopes of encouraging you to continue to call or e-mail in about illegal activities that you may see taking place. The following is an e-mail sent to WDF:

I have been fishing the Skokomish River quite regularly and I have seen numerous fisher persons blatantly snagging King salmon. Most of these snaggers are using a double barbed hook in a barbless restricted area, most are taking more than a one fish limit and don't seem to have any regards for restrictions on the Purdy creek closed area. This activity is taking place all up and down the river and is not restricted to any one area.

I realize that Mason county is not your area however, if you could relay this information to the responsible officer in charge I feel he could do some good in that area. I would be glad to e-mail to him direct if I had his address.

Thank you for your time.

Mark

Here is the reply:

Mark,
I'll be seeing the Sergeant tomorrow and I'm going to work the river in the morning. I've had friends tell me there is a lot of snagging being done on the tribal side by young tribal kids, but it sounds like you're talking about adults. Get back to me and I'll tell you what I found.
Steve

Here is my thank you back:

Steve, thank you for taking the time to hear me out and to respond by working my complaint. I appreciate your efforts and I would be interested in the outcome.
A friend here at work fishes the Nisqually regularly and he mentioned an increase of enforcement presence by your department and by the M.P.'s from Fort Lewis. Thanks again for your efforts.

Mark

Here is the report back from WDF with the results on the long Labor day weekend:

Mark,
We worked the river for two days last week. We issued a total of 29 citations and took one subject to jail. Most of the cases were for snagging and over possession of salmon. We have started to work the Nisqually and Mcallister Creek. I'll keep you updated as you request the updates.
Steve De Miero

The system does work and I encourage you to take the time to report and follow up. I feel that an honest e-mail will do more than a phone call. You can usually get the address of the agent in charge if you ask for it. If we all work together we can make the system work better by getting the information reported to Enforcement. They are just like police men who go on tips everyday to catch the bad guys. Help them out by sending your complaint in.

#121366 - 09/18/01 12:03 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Nicely done, Skaguy. One of the best posts I've read on the issue yet. And I plan to follow suit.

#121367 - 09/19/01 04:04 AM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
bronc Offline
Parr

Loc: vancouver wa
i think under certain coditions snagging should be legal ! no commercial fishery on the columbia. the wfg has there weir in to get there qouta .the public should be allowed to harvest the surplus. i,m sure there are many familys on mineum wage that would love to have a a few chinook in the freezer . especisaly in a year like this . bronc laugh

#121368 - 09/19/01 03:41 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Bronc - You asked whether the public should be allowed to harvest excess salmon returning to the hatcheries. They can and they are welcome to harvest to the limit allowed by the regs. The harvest method allowed by law is called fishing. Not snagging. Snagging these fish is illegal and it should remain as such.

It is my view that snagging reduces the overall harvest because these fish are harrassed to the point where they won't hit for legitimate anglers. So, if we want to maximize the harvest rate on hatchery stocks to reduce the excess, I suggest a strong crackdown on snagging. Legalizing it would only make the problem, and the fishing, worse.

#121369 - 09/19/01 04:25 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
bronc Offline
Parr

Loc: vancouver wa
snagging has been prevalent on wa, rivers since i been around . an as long as nets are allowed in the river . i dont see any reason why snaging. can not be legalized . an as far as diminishing the runs thats a moot question . not caused by snaging . hey good source revenue for the burura crats . i wonder if they checked the snagers for use permits lol . laugh bronc laugh

#121370 - 09/19/01 11:54 PM Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I stopped in at the RV hole on the Kalama today to see what was going on.The snaggers were still at it. I couldnt believe what some of the people were using. I saw more than ne guy using treble hooks and lead. The WDFW should close the Kalama from the Mouth to the temporary wier from Sept 1st through Nov 30th, That would put a stop to the snaggers.
cohoangler,
Dont feell bad about getting skunked on the Kalama. I fished it sunday, monday and tuesday. I didnt hook anything but a ast chinook. The silvers are there, and there is a bunch of them, They just wont bite after getting raked on down below.

Whats up with all the people using 10'+ long leaders on N.F. Lewis? 2 small beads and a big hook on a looong leader..... Can you say flosser?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |