Howdy,

Just thought that some of you would like to know what to expect next weekend. I fished with Seacat and his brother-in-law today on the Satsop from Highway 12 down to the confluence with the Chehalis.

Kelly hooked and landed a nice little 18" wild steelhead just below the boat launch. It was released unharmed. I caught a 4" smolt!

We went down to the boat launch by keys road, and after a nice little hike through the woods, we finally found the confluence of the Satsop and the Chehalis. We fished about the last 600 yards or so of the Satsop river. I hooked what I believe was a silver that immediately took my line into a log jam and broke me off. Oh well, I got to feel that one.

After we fished that area thoroughly, Seacat and I moved down to the Chehalis. I fished bobber and eggs, and had a few solid takedowns, but didn't get any hookups. Seacat ended up catching a healthy hatchery jack. I later hooked another smolt, this one was almost 8"! It got off. frown

We saw MANY fish rolling, but most were either dark or turning red. The water level was low in the Satsop, and I didn't see anyone run up the 'Sop from the Chehalis while I was there. There were a fair number of sleds doin' what they do best, running up and down the river, one passed us SIX TIMES! What's up with that?

Anyway, I hope we get some rain before next weekend, otherwise, it will be a challenging day on the river. I plan on bringing my special Squawfish bait so that I can at least take the "most fish" category. I know, Northern Pike Minnow, but I like Squawfish better.

Best of luck, and I hope others produced better results than I did today.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.