LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106678 - 01/18/01 12:36 AM Fish fighting techniques?
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
In recent times out I've noticed guys hooking steelhead and fighting the fish with the rod tip in or nearly in the water. I was curious what the theory is or advantage is with that strategy. My only intuition would be that a high rod angle will pull the fish's head up allowing him to turn down stream easier.

When drifting for salmonoids sometimes I can't help but feel that when my offering swings below me and a fish takes, that sometimes in setting the hook I've pulled it out of the fish's mouth. What are you guys' theories on the proper hook set motion?

Thanks guys, I can never learn enough!

#106679 - 01/18/01 02:47 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Sometimes the best way to keep tension on the line is to leave as much of it in the water as possible...this is particularly true when fly-fishing, as the weight of the line can make it "sag" when lifted, whereas leaving it in the water ensures that the current will keep the pressure up. Lifting the rod tip in some situations can place current pressure on the line, thus pulling the hook backwards and, possibly, out of the fish's mouth. When I hook a fish that's well below me, I'll leave my line low in the water...but it seems to have more to do with the particlar water's characteristics than anything...add in the hook and line size...and the fish's response to being hooked...and the wadability of the adjacenet bank...aw, heck: reel like hell and brace yourself for a run!

When hooking a fish directly below you, often a slow tightening of the line (until you feel resistance) is needed...then set the hook hard. Because you can generally feel every little bump, stay jumpy...and if you feel you're being nipped at, run a size four or six trailer--barbless, in case the hole's full of smolt.

[This message has been edited by fishkisser99 (edited 01-17-2001).]

#106680 - 01/18/01 03:27 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
The reason I do it is because it helps to keep a fish from jumping. When you can tell a fish is going to jump, putting the rod top down near the water will sometimes keep them from jumping. More fish are lost on the jump than any other time so it's kind of a good idea.

#106681 - 01/18/01 09:44 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
PGA Offline
Fry

Loc: Issaquah
The only time I lower my rod tip into the water is to try to turn a fish that is headed down stream and it looks like I can't stop it. The "down stream take" I let the fish have "it" a little longer than normal. As all ways, I set the hook with the rod going stright up. I want the hook going stright up not out of the mouth.

good luck

#106682 - 01/18/01 10:39 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
MacSteely Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kennewick, Wa.
I agree with PGA- Having been tutored by a few old salty steelhead cronies they have given the same advise about setting the hook.....Straight Up!(not sideways)
Can't speak about the rod tip being lowered- I've always thought that a high rod tip keeps the tension on the line and keeps the fish from an initial run. However with that said, once it decides to make it's run (or several) than you need to lower the tip and play the fish out.

#106683 - 01/18/01 11:53 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I will lower my tip to almost the water ,when a fish is jumping this keeps pressure on him and prevents slack so he can't spit the hook.
Sometimes putting the tip in water will turn a fish around as he's headed for parts unkown, my.02...Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{
"Just Say No To Sovereign Nations!"

#106684 - 01/18/01 12:44 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'll have to agree with O's post,to turn the fish when headed down and when it's jumping.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#106685 - 01/18/01 02:00 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I have to agree with O's also!I like to turn my rod over and get the tip close to the water if a fish takes off, 90% of the time you can turn them right around.Also with most of your line in the water the current keeps your line tighter then a bunch in the air. TM

------------------
"Just say HELL no to soveriegn nation!!!!!"

#106686 - 01/18/01 03:08 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
The reason for putting your rod tip in the water is to change the angle of your line. If your rod tip is up high when a fish starts to roll or jump he has all the leverage power. By shoving your rod tip into the water 1-3 ft. this changes the angle of your line. Causing the fish to return below the surface again. Try it just once. You`ll never go back to bowing or high sticking when a fish comes to the surface. Good Fishin` Cascade Bob.

#106687 - 01/18/01 05:57 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
gammyman Offline
Fry

Loc: renton,wa,usa
Hey everybody,
I was wondering if when a steelhead jumps do you keep pressure on the fish or do you ease up on it a little? Im wondering cause it seems like keeping pressure on the fish while its jumping will cause the hook to pull out, but then again easing up some might make the hook come out anyway. So what do you do?
-Scott

#106688 - 01/18/01 06:12 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Great input guys! A guide once told me to shove the butt of the rod straight at the fish creating a big "C" in the rod in order to turn a fish right away.

#106689 - 01/18/01 08:13 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
Gammyman, whenever a fish rolls or jumps, never keep the pressure on. Either bow your rod tip down to the fish, but not so that you are pointing it at the fish, or as I tell people to do, stick your rod in the water. Hope this helps. It works great in my boat. Good Fishin` Bob H.

#106690 - 01/18/01 08:24 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Hey Monty, good post.
I can't see why so many people dip the rod tip near or in the water when fighting a brute. Some say it prevents a fish from jumping and help to prevent hook spitting. It don't make sense much to me to do this. The reason you want to steelhead fishing is because the fish is so acrobatic (this is fun). I say the more the fish jumps, the more satisfaction you will get out of it. Also about hook spitting; this is BS. If the hook is set in right, no fish can undo it. The only reason when you want to dip your rod is when you have a guy next to you having crossed your line. Then dipping your rod will help him pull his line over your to prevent a tangle. My advice, don't dip your rod. The rod tip may be damaged from the rock or debris and your main line may be rubbed on the rocks.

#106691 - 01/19/01 11:05 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
The ONLY time I put my tip in the water is when all else fails ,this creates a loop in the line ,the fish thinks he's being pulled from downsteam and sometimes this will turn a brute...sometimes....Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft
Release all Wild Fish----<'))>>{
"Just Say No To Sovereign Nations!"
Ban All Nets!!!!!

#106692 - 01/19/01 01:17 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I always bow to a jumping fish because the breaking strength of leader is significantly less out of the water than in the water. I believe that water acts a somewhat of a shock absorber. When a fish reenters the water after a jump, I have seen many leaders snap. I generally use fairly light leaders (usually 8lb. test) so I bow and have never had a problem. Just my 2 cents.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#106693 - 01/19/01 11:53 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
A D Pose Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pugetropolis, USA
I have used the shove your rod tip in the water techique with success in order to turn a hot fish. I've seen others use it, particularly on the point at Blue Creek and it does work. Whether or not if your line is in good enough condition to withstand the pressure is a different issue, ie: nicks and chafes. When faced with an active, jumping fish, as in Summer run, I try to remmember to drop my tip, should a fish land on the leader, causing it to break or pull out the hook if it's lip hooked.

#106694 - 01/22/01 01:01 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
A couple more theories:
1. The lower angle puts more side pressure on the fish, which is more difficult for them to resist than lifting pressure.
2.I've also heard that the rod in the water transmits a different vibration down the line to the fish which gives them a more confusing sensation ( I'm not sure I believe this one).

The lower side pressure does seem to make a difference in getting the fish to the bank faster for me.

#106695 - 01/22/01 10:56 AM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
I have also been successful with keeping the tip down. The way I see it is that it is easier for a fish to jump with the line pressure coming up and out of the water than even or below the water level. Once a fish is out of the water, it has lost its buoyancy and actually weighs more relative to the line. Think about it. How many fish have broken off after it has been removed from the water. I believe the key to more landed fish is to keep it in the water, and preferably in a deeper pool until it tires. If you try to fight a fish in shallow water it can use the bottom as added "traction" and give the fish another advantage to try to do bad things to your leader. Of course this is my own opinion and I have a very limited amount (if any) of scientific data to support this.
As much fun as it is to watch the fish jump, I don't want to see that fish until it is pooped out and easier to handle out of the water.

#106696 - 01/23/01 11:58 PM Re: Fish fighting techniques?
fish_finder Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, Wa.
I'm no pro but I've used this technique to turn many steelies making a downstream run. It was a tip I got from an old-timer when I first started fishing for these beauties. As for me the more they jump the better, that really gets my blood pumping.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |