Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107408 - 02/01/01 12:38 AM spinning gear
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim, WA
OK, now lets get serious. I took your advice and got a TH Custom Rod. GL3 1143S. They did an awsome job(UPS delivered it last night). I picked up a Stradic 4000 tonight, and had one spool filled with izorline Hi-Vis, and the other with green. My question is, should I only use the Hi-Vis for free drifting, or can I use it for float/jig fishing and drift fishing too? I have never used the Hi-Vis before, only the Maxima Chameleon on my casting outfit.

#107409 - 02/01/01 01:09 AM Re: spinning gear
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
I saw people that used high vis on a tv show. They were drift fishing for winter steelhead, it didn't seem like the fish didn't mind. I think it turns practically invisible once under water.

#107410 - 02/01/01 02:40 AM Re: spinning gear
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Nav-man, the 4000? very big reel! You going for tarpon or yellowfin tuna? Get a clue man. The 2000 will do it for ya. Don't sweat it now you got, it use it. peace. Chromer

#107411 - 02/01/01 10:27 AM Re: spinning gear
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Yeah, I know it' a big reel, but I agonized over this for a month and finally decided that the balance was much better with the 4000. (And who knows, I may have to go to Florida and get a tarpon. I'll be ready.)

#107412 - 02/01/01 11:39 AM Re: spinning gear
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Nav, don't sweat it about the reel. Isn't a 4000 rated for 8-12 lb. test? Seems fine to me for all-purpose steelhead use. Best of luck to you. Oh, and about the line. I use the clear Trilene XL when fishing jigs and floats. Gives me more confidence than the hi-vis stuff -- which is half the battle when you're trying to find that elusive old steelhead. Any color probably works fine though, save for low, gin-clear conditions -- in which case you'd want to use green or clear, but definitely not hi-vis.

#107413 - 02/01/01 12:03 PM Re: spinning gear
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Navigator, I'm glad you like the rod, I thought it turned out very nice.
The 4000 is a perfect match for the 9'6" rod, you'll be happy when that #26 steelile rips off 100 yards of line.

As for the hi-vis line, I see people successfully using it all the time. I use it in my salt water trolling situations.. I put it on my side drift rods, (so I know where my son's line is at all times my plug rods..I know "The Really Big One" uses it on his plug rods too... I think it's good stuff.

Thanks again Navigator..... enjoy that rod. and send me pictures...

BTW, we had a client send in a picture of a 26# C&R steelie on the Sol Duc last weekend. It should be on the web page shortly.

TH

www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#107414 - 02/01/01 01:49 PM Re: spinning gear
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Congrats on the new setup navigator. If you like yours half as much as I do mine you won't want to pick up another rod. And I think you'll also appreciate the bigger drag on the 4000 if you get into some biguns.

As for lines, I run 14lb Fireline in the smoke color when fishing jigs/worms. I've been using the smoke color but liked the way the high-vis green looked on my buddy's rod. Lets you know exactly how much is out in a belly that should't be. Run the Fireline to a clear leader and you'll be cooning them.

Bruce

#107415 - 02/01/01 02:25 PM Re: spinning gear
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
B. Gray...... speak of the devil... I was just talking about you.

Are you heading back w/ Major Brown this weekend?

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#107416 - 02/01/01 03:51 PM Re: spinning gear
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Shhh. I dunno if that fish was 26# but I have been following the thread about replica mounts and will be looking for these guys at the Seattle show...

I just dropped you an email. This weekend I'll be cutting and hanging moldings and window trim. Fun.

#107417 - 02/01/01 06:16 PM Re: spinning gear
Cast-a-Way Offline
Egg

Loc: Reno, NV
Navigator,

Wise choices. I've got the Sustain paired with the same rod that. The ultimate spinning reel, in my opinion, would be Van Staal or Stella.

#107418 - 02/02/01 12:51 PM Re: spinning gear
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
hey Nav. I run the Ande high vis. green on my float rod,sure makes it a lot easier to keep track of things that way....Gota love that 1143 huh makes and even better drift rod with bait caster...my .02....Os

#107419 - 02/02/01 01:49 PM Re: spinning gear
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
That's a great combo. You gotta try the new Maxima perfexion line! Best stuff I've used on a spinning reel. Check out the other thread on it. Good Fishing!

------------------
www.rainbowjigs.com

#107420 - 02/02/01 05:43 PM Re: spinning gear
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for all the input. I left work early and am heading for an unnamed river. (Not the Nooch or Satsop!) I will give this rig a workout tomorrow if the weather cooperates a little. Hopefully I will be testing the drag as well. Thanks. Hey Jigman, I picked up some of those rainbow jigs at ASM this afternoon and am going to give'em a try.

[This message has been edited by navigator (edited 02-02-2001).]

#107421 - 02/05/01 07:58 PM Re: spinning gear
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

OK, Here's the report. I don't fish with spinning gear too often, so it was noon or so before the new rig and I became friends. That fresh line was a problem as well as my release. After I finally got the hang of it, it is a really awsome combo. I can reach high enough to mend the line easily when drifting bobbers, and it works well for spoons, spinners, and bottom drifting.I think you guys pointed me to a winner here!
We fished the Lyre for a couple of hours on Sat. morn with no luck, then over to the Hoko. The water was perfect, but we flogged it to a froth without any sucess. Talked to a couple of other guys that had been at it all day too, without fish as well. Late in the day we hopped over to the Sol Duc, at the park below Sapphio and fished until dark without a hit. It was a nice day to be out, but would have been nicer to try out the drag on that new reel. Oh well. Next time.
Tight lines,
Mitch
PS couldn't fish Sunday. Had to go to B'Ham to see the brand new grandson!!!!! He looks like a fishin' fool!!!

[This message has been edited by navigator (edited 02-05-2001).]

#107422 - 02/06/01 05:09 AM Re: spinning gear
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Nav,
You will love your 1141. I have an IMX with a stradic 2000 mounted on it. It would be the only rod I would use if I could get away with it. I use for everything from trout to chinook. I anded a 36 lb chinook on it in the Coquille tidewater (TH, you know where that is) useing 6 lb maxima ultra green.
As for Izorline, You cant pay me to use that stuff. For drift fishing with a spinning rod I like to use 10 lb stren magnathin for mainline. For everything else I use 6 or 8 lb maxima ultra green.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |