Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140245 - 02/11/02 02:56 PM Rain and punchcards
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

It happened again! Almost everytime I go to punch a fish on my card, it's raining. The card gets damp and the ballpoint pen won't work on that damn "waterproof" paper they use. My partner and I tried 4 different pens trying to get one to work on that **&#@* paper. We finally had to "chance it" and wait to get to the dry cab of the truck before the paper was writable.

This is really frustrating as I don't want a ticket for not punching a fish.

Any ideas?

#140246 - 02/11/02 03:46 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
Have you tried putting the pen and punch card in a ziplock bag? Good question since we all know it rains 364 days of the year on the Harbor, giving you that one day of sunshine to mow the lawn and wash the vehicles.

#140247 - 02/11/02 04:24 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
Have you tried using a pencil to write in the rain. I am pretty sure this is still not considered to be legally punching a fish but a gamie would probaly be more willing to beleive you when you explain the situation if you have some thing punched.

#140248 - 02/11/02 04:52 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I considered using the pencil method but the regs clearly state that a pen must be used. A fine tip felt pen is no good because the ink would run. Keeping the pen and card dry hasn't been a problem....it's when you take them out in the pouring rain and your confined to a driftboat that the problem arises. I mean, this is a real comedy of errors. And I don't expect any leniency from a game warden because they've heard all the stories and then some.

I really wish WDFW would re-evaluate the paper they use. I'd like to see them try the waterproof paper you see being used by field biologists and surveyors. It has a duller texture and isn't as slippery as the crap they make us use now.

If nothing else, I'd rather go back to good old paper like they used to have....at least it was reliable.

OK I'm done venting.

#140249 - 02/11/02 05:50 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
The only thing that I have found to work when dealing with a wet punch card is to heat the end of my pen with a cigarette lighter. when the ink gets hot, it usually writes on wet paper. laugh laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#140250 - 02/11/02 06:15 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
Eric, If there are any Survey or Engineers supply stores in you area, there is a pen that is called "Write in the rain" They are about $5 a piece but will eliminate your problem forever.

#140251 - 02/11/02 06:58 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I don't have that problem. With my luck I don't ever worry about catching anything. Jim S. laugh

#140252 - 02/11/02 07:35 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Bene Offline
Fry

Loc: Kennewick
Eric,

Suck on the end of your pen a couple of times. For whatever reason it tends to draw the ink to the ball of the pen just like *$#@* to a #$#*&. Seems to work for my friend. I peronally use a plastic ziplock with pen and license inside.

Bene

#140253 - 02/11/02 09:37 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I guess it is just me.I expected to read that the new printer paper sh** that they are using doesn't like ink dry or wet.I had problems this fall Everytime I went to punch a salmon.My wife picked me up a pen at Rite aid that is like a miniture paint pen.I can't find it now but they are cheap.

I think the new computer paper just sucks! mad

#140254 - 02/11/02 10:41 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
years ago my wife bought me something called a space pen,gauranteed to write no matter what, I thought it was kinda stupid at the time(did'nt tell her that) Its many years later and it writes on punch cards rain or shine

#140255 - 02/12/02 01:16 AM Re: Rain and punchcards
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I liked the real "punch" cards we used to have - at least you could prove that you tried even if you didn't have a pen and got checked. I was without pen or pencil one good day and filled my card in with a piece of pencil lead, and even though I got checked the warden was nice enough to accept my explanation as I had made the attempt, as I had at least removed my punches as well. laugh

#140256 - 02/12/02 08:45 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Pat Graham Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Forks
Had this discussion with the game warden the other day and he said to just be sure and make an attempt. So that they can see that you at least tried. Then punch it when you get to the pickup.

#140257 - 02/13/02 11:52 AM Re: Rain and punchcards
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
I figured out the pen problem last year. Go to Walmart or Office Depot and pick up a box "Sharpie" Fine Point Permanent Markers. It's made by "Sanford". You can buy them individualy or by the box. They don't cost that much and work excellent. Make sure you get the fine point or if they have extra fine point get that. The pens are water resistant and quick-drying. I brought one out in the boat last year and everyone that fishes with me raves about it. Fish-on!!! cool

#140258 - 02/13/02 12:15 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Sharpie fine points get another vote from me. Plus if your card gets wet in the future, the ink from old punches doesn't run.

#140259 - 02/13/02 01:55 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
There's a pen out that I've been using here at the office for the past week, and it's killer.

Uni-ball Vision micro

Waterproof/Fade-proof

You can probably pick these puppies up at an Office Depot or office supply section. They don't look expensive, but then again, some women are that way too. laugh

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#140260 - 02/13/02 02:09 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I have turned in puch cards to F&W that look like one big ink blotch--and I walk away saying--"it rains in Washington"

#140261 - 02/13/02 02:28 PM Re: Rain and punchcards
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Good info. everyone.

Thanks.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
brandy, chuckr37, Dick Boneski, Dickie, RobEstlund
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 893 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |