Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155492 - 07/19/02 02:29 PM Surf perch report
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Been taking a little break from the salmon and steelhead action once a week to hit the beach for surf perch.....it's been great and seems to have picked up steam the last couple weeks. I'm fishing grayland on a low tide with sand shrimp.

I've got the salmon/steelhead sickness as much as the next guy but I'll tell you fellas, give it a try sometime if your gettin the itch for something different. Drag the family along, build a fire and make a day of it. When you find a school of them it's one after another and they are darned good eating too. They've got some size right now as well. I'm using light steelhead gear so I can enjoy the fight.....they're a gas!

Just FYI

#155493 - 07/19/02 07:36 PM Re: Surf perch report
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Eric

How do you rig up the shrimp (like for steelhead fishing?).

Also is it easy to get into a school of them.

Thanks for any advice.

#155494 - 07/19/02 08:20 PM Re: Surf perch report
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Eric, what kind of rig do you use? Do you plunk or what?

#155495 - 07/20/02 01:23 PM Re: Surf perch report
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I go to different spots at grayland. There is no one particular "hotspot". I do concentrate on minor depressions in the beach.

As for rigging, I use my 9 1/2 ft steelhead spinning rod which was built from an 8 wt fly rod blank. Since saltwater is hard on reels, I went to walmart and baught a cheap $13.00 spinningreel to which I put 8 lb. maxima. At the end of my mainline I attach a 1-2 oz cannonball sinker; depending on current. Back up the line (above the sinker) about a foot apart, I attach 2 one foot leaders of 12lb. maxima with #4 gammies using the egg loop knot. I then attach shrimp tails just like I was steelhead fishing.

I've seen some guys go more elaborate with fancy wire hooks and bigger, longer rods with more weight but I don't think it's really necessary. I like to keep it simple.

Hope that helps.

#155496 - 07/21/02 09:08 AM Re: Surf perch report
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
I to have been Surf Perch fishing for the past two weeks. I have been taking my family out to Rialto beach just outside of Forks. Lots of Sun, beach combing, had a beach fire and the fishing is excellant.

VooDo: I use a 10 foot steelhead Spinning rod. 10lbs test line with a two hook setup. I was using size 6 hooks but I kept missing bites so I went to size 4. These peasky little buggers love sandshrimp or Night Crawlers. I use two hooks and place one on each. YOU WILL GET MORE BITES ON NIGHTCRAWLERS THEN SANDSHRIMP AND THEY STAY ON YOUR HOOK BETTER. When using sandshrimp cut them in half so you dont go thru them so fast. I was Only casting out as far as maybe 30-40 yards off the beach. GOOD LUCK

#155497 - 07/21/02 09:12 AM Re: Surf perch report
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

FORGOT TO SAY

If you dont get bites or into small fish. Walk up or down the beach 40-50 yards and try again. You'll soon find them or they will come to you. Once your into them the fishing is fast and fun.
Like Eric says, fish the depressions, they like to hand out in holes.

#155498 - 07/22/02 12:30 PM Re: Surf perch report
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Interesting take on the use of nightcrawlers. Do you use the whole worm or cut em' in half? Seems to me it would be more difficult to get a hooksetwith all that worm in that tiny little mouth.

#155499 - 07/22/02 08:39 PM Re: Surf perch report
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Eric

Next time you go Surf Perch fishing take a box or two of NightCrawlers. I use a #4 snelled Eagle Claw hook, you can get about 1/2 a crawler on it. They work just as good or better than sandshrimp, there cheaper and they stay on the hook longer.

Three weeks ago I was at Rialto beach with sandshrimp. This lady who was fishing about 30 yards from me was using Nightcrawlers and she was out fishing me 4 to 1. After wathing her get her limit I bought some next time I went. The Perch love them.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |