LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158404 - 08/27/02 09:23 PM Anyone fished the ditch?
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
could someone please email me with samish info?
thanks
SWJ

#158405 - 08/28/02 12:42 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Fishon grahn Offline
Smolt

Loc: arlington
have not been yet but friends tell me really slow. about 1-4 fish a day for the river. a few 20#s tho mostly smaller fish tho is still a little early for good fishin but would hit if had nothing else to do. fishon

#158406 - 08/28/02 01:11 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Depends which one you're talking about. The Kasilof on which I spend my summer is also referred to as "The Ditch" ...

A little better word from here: best silver season in 10 years :p laugh

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#158407 - 09/01/02 12:13 PM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Lots of people very few fish,fish that are caught mostly come out of the water tail first,the fine art of snagging is being handed from father to son.

#158408 - 09/01/02 01:12 PM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Not sure which hole you're fishing, but...the hole I fish the majority of the fish that come out are head first. And any of the regulars that have been fishing there year after year like I have will release any foul hooked fish. But, there are always the exceptions.

#158409 - 09/02/02 03:15 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
I'll vouch for what camo said. I have never seen anyone keep a foul hooked fish at the main fishing spots on the Samish. It just doesn't happen happen there because the regulars value the fishery enough to play by the rules.

When the wildcat steelhead club negotiated the opening of a sport fishery there the members policed the litter and educated everyone about the no-snag and no-litter conditions to the openings and to accessing the river through private property.

If you want to snag go somewhere else! If you do it at the Samish you will wear out your welcome right quick.

All the influx of people the last few years who read about the Samish in STS, F&H News and on the internet brought some bad habits with them. Their littering and and inconsiderate or ignorant activities have caused the closure of some of the best access.

If you come here to visit pack your trash back to wherever you come from when you leave.

Don't let one ignorant portrait of what someone imagines it is like cause you to trash a decent fishery.

#158410 - 09/05/02 12:04 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Plunk I disagree. In the area in line with Sunset Rd I have seen many foul hooked fish retained. I have also seen foul hooked fish retained in the first bend up stream from the bridge.

#158411 - 09/05/02 12:19 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Been there around 20 times myself seen quite a bit of snaggin. Bet I could go there when the fish are in and show anyone what snaggin is too! Dosent matter though, does it? I thought they were shuttin down that hatchery.

#158412 - 09/05/02 01:06 AM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
I fished it a few times 3-4 years ago, but won't go back. I don't see the fun of walking around knee deep in mud and fishing shoulder to shoulder with 20 other people in a hole that's 50 feet long and 20 feet across. I guess a shot at big fish is a shot at big fish. The few dirt bags I've seen there looked like the type who bought a case of Hamm's with their 3 day license and hit the Samish because they heard it held fish. Most people were courteous and I saw a lot of guys taking their kids which is good.

#158413 - 09/05/02 01:23 PM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
There is an old saying... Something about "birds of the feather."

To Repeat:
Quote:
"All the influx of people the last few years who read about the Samish in STS, F&H News and on the internet brought some bad habits with them. Their littering and and inconsiderate or ignorant activities have caused the closure of some of the best access."
The Sunset Hole mentioned above was one of the better spots until about four years ago when the "birds" showed up in droves. It was the first access closed because of littering and disrespect for the farmer who owns the field there. All the hundreds of idiots from Seattle turned the poor farmers field into a parking lot, compacting the soil, and then dumped there garbage before they left. frown

I haven't fished there for over five years but many of my friends still do and have since they were kids. None of them would condone keeping a snagged fish and most are quite outspoken about it.

People who promote the image of this being a place to snag fish are perhaps the worst part of the problem.

If you and your type don't like the fishing there... then don't fish there but... don't go out of your way to trash it for those who do.

Have Fun! :p laugh

#158414 - 09/05/02 07:20 PM Re: Anyone fished the ditch?
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I first fished the Samish 20 years ago, I was turned on to it by a guy from Alger. He used to brag of fishing for kings with a shotgun. It was, as it is for ALOT of locals, kinda cool to travel 15 minutes and snag some fish to eat. I am not going to say that people coming from Seattle are perfect (alot of us come from small towns as it is), but to blindly defend locals is ignorance.
Yup it's all them city's slickers fault. Go to the Samish or the Cascade or Stevens creek or Blue creek, ask the snaggers where they are from. I think you will find, as I have, most of them aren't from very far away.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 829 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |