Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150335 - 04/25/02 02:56 AM Bounties on predators
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Just curious why there are current bounties on squawfish (a predator to salmonid smolt) and no active bounties on any other salmonid eating species??

Wouldn't it make sense that man has created a problem that "GOD" can't fix and perhaps man should fix his own problems. First we put dams in a river system that basically creates a river that runs warmer for Squawfish to reproduce, then we build sand islands that create the worlds largest Tern population in the estuary of our Columbia river... Terns are said to eat nearly 10% or more of the smolt population that are migrating for the ocean. Then of course the seals and sea lion populations are as high as they've ever been documented... So why not take action??

Or should man just sit back and watch the problems he's created and let it just get worse??
It's a fact that there is a unbalanced food chain that needs to be addressed. Or let the problem go and "GOD" will fix the problems with starvation as one species begins to diminish...
Keith laugh

#150336 - 04/25/02 07:44 AM Re: Bounties on predators
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
The "northern pike minnow" was a by product or mistake of a decision to build damns. But this example is no mistake.. A bunch of green tree hugging types decided we needed to "re-introduce" the grey wolf in Idaho. Millions of dollars were spent to import them. They repopulated like bunny rabbits and they are now finding that they are having to spend money to kill them again. They are finding out what our great, great grandpas knew all along... wolves suck.

#150337 - 04/25/02 09:09 AM Re: Bounties on predators
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
An afternoon of tern blastin' does sound awful fun...

Better warm up the General Lee Luke!!

Didn't man dredge the sand bar they replaced in the first place?

Open season on predators of salmonids makes you a target too, or have you forgotten who the salmonids biggest threat truly is?

Man!!

#150338 - 04/25/02 11:06 AM Re: Bounties on predators
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
I haven't read all of this yet, so haven't formed an opinion, but for what it's worth we might all find this interesting.

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/pubs/tm/tm28/tm28.htm#toc

Note that the study used a compilation of available data, and did not use newly collected data. The study also was from '97.

Probably the most elightening thing about this to me is that the problem animals appear to be the California sea lion rather than the Stellars. Cali. lions are not endangered, Stellars are.

I don't think blasting marine mammals for preying on our hatchery fish is the way to go, but if they're threatening native stocks, that's a WHOLE different story, especially if they're not threatened themselves.

I also don't think a bounty on sea lions is plausible, because of the "shoot first, identify species later" attitude that I think would be prevalent in the population that would be most likely to want to entertain the idea. It should be an agency function to thin (if it's determined that it's necessary) or at least require a licensing program to make sure those involved know what they're doing.

#150339 - 04/25/02 11:11 AM Re: Bounties on predators
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
How much to kill a human?

#150340 - 04/25/02 11:38 AM Re: Bounties on predators
Bounty Hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sadly in Seattle
Why do wolves suck? Because they make things difficult for man.

Why do terns suck? Because they take the salmon from man.

Why do sea lions and seals suck? Because man has destroyed so much of the salmon habitat, they are threatening the few native runs that are left.

Face it people, man is the problem. Unless we restore some habitat we are just delaying the inevitable, I don't care how many marine mammals you kill. mad

This is the same mentality that I have seen in the south: "I like to shoot those damn hawks, 'cause they are eating all of MY quail." confused

Why doesn't anyone ever complain about the loss of the June Hogs? Did sea lions suddenly overpopulate and form a line at the mouth of the Columbia that salmon couldn't pass?

If we really wanted to make a difference on the salmon runs we should've just ripped out those stupid dams. No? eek Idaho doesn't want to do that? Well then just sit back and be ready to pick over the scraps of the hatchery-augmented salmon runs that limp on up the river. I'm sure thet the respective F&W agencies will keep us in the fish by fighting this losing battle well into the next decade. frown

#150341 - 04/25/02 04:59 PM Re: Bounties on predators
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
B-Run Steely wrote: "They are finding out what our great, great grandpas knew all along... wolves suck."

Actually, my great grandpa was fine with the wolves. But he did think the white folks over-running Idaho needed some controlling. Looks like he was right too.

#150342 - 04/26/02 03:09 AM Re: Bounties on predators
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

**** you GARY K... STICK A LOBO UP YOUR ASS...

#150343 - 04/26/02 03:15 AM Re: Bounties on predators
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry about that bounty hunter *****..the Dams are in your state dumb ass...

#150344 - 04/26/02 03:45 AM Re: Bounties on predators
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Everything was going so well...

#150345 - 04/26/02 10:51 AM Re: Bounties on predators
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by stlhdh2o:
Everything was going so well...
Yeah, until....

"
**** you GARY K... STICK A LOBO UP YOUR ASS... "

Good one. rolleyes

B-RUN, do you realize you probably just got this thread plonked, when we were actually trying to have an intelligent discussion on the topic.

"Sorry about that bounty hunter *****..the Dams are in your state dumb ass..."

Sorry about that, B-RUN....those dams are federally operated.

Is it possible that you might be capable of contributing to a philosophical discussion without calling someone a dumb@$$ because you disagree, so we can continue the discourse?

#150346 - 04/26/02 11:22 AM Re: Bounties on predators
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kirkland Wa USA
B-run
After all you have contributed to this site over the last couple of years I'm surprised to find out your a hillbilly redneck republican from Idaho. Cool out take a cold shower.
And to let you know on the wolf thing that not all ranchers are against the wolf. My good republican daughter and son in law just lost thier first calf to a wolf. They have reported it as they should and they also except the fact that this is going to hapen if we want a better place to live. They like many good and I said good ranchers are willing to give a little of the profits for a better place to live for all.
Peace
Land Tuna.

#150347 - 04/26/02 07:09 PM Re: Bounties on predators
Hohhum Offline
Fry

Loc: Forks
B-Run You must have the IQ of a wet rock.It is not the wolves.Terns or the seals. It is man we have upset the balance of nature by damning the rivers rapping the forest and killing off the large predators. Don't get me wrong I'm not a tree hugger or a fish hugger. I like eat what I catch and shoot.I have hunted and fished all of my life. If you really want the fish to come back in large numbers,we need to open damns,kill all hatchery fish and close all effected rivers for no less than five years. Stupidity should hurt.B-RUN are you sore??? eek eek laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |