Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150636 - 04/29/02 10:38 PM alaskan trip 2005 ?'s
adam mcgehee Offline
Egg

Loc: rockford, michigan
i am starting to plan my senior trip for the summer of 2005 and i wanted to have some good insight on what rivers to fish and what i should bring and such. I am experienced in salmon/steelhead/trout fishing in the great lakes, so i have the tackle and flies are no problem. I wanted to plan on fishing the alagnak(sp?) and keni (sp?) river systems and streams in the surrounding areas. i will be camping and i have a 14 1/2ft flat bottom with a 15hp motor, should i plan on bringing it? its a long drive from michigan but i dont plan on flying and i will most likely spend a month or so. I was wondering what month(s) i should go and what weight fly rods i should bring. i really want to catch some big bows and kings and silvers and chums but i know they dont all run at the same time, so waht time frame would be the best for having a chance at hooking into as many of these fish as possible?

i know this is well in advance but i need to start saving for the trip and i need to know if i really want to pull this off. Also, if anyone needs info on fishing the great lakes for salmon/steelhead etc. i will gladly help

thanks for any help

#150637 - 04/30/02 12:24 AM Re: alaskan trip 2005 ?'s
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Adam,

Check out www.akflyfishers.org, as well as the book Alaska Flyfishing, by Anthony Route. Great data there. If you want to twitch a little bit, check out www.oz.net/~andrewb/home2001.htm. ;-)

The boat will be great on the Kenai, but very expensive to get to the Alagnak or most of the other interesting rivers. There just aren't that many roads. If it were me, I'd leave it at home. Plenty to do without it.

#150638 - 04/30/02 09:35 AM Re: alaskan trip 2005 ?'s
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Adam,

I went on a similar trip with two fishing buddies after I graduated from high school (waaaaay back in 1994...lol). I'd be happy to let you know what I learned. Shoot me an email at pstuthei@alumni.law.upenn.edu and I'll tell you what I know. You certainly should do it, come hell or high water. My trip was unforgettable.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1436 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |