THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165543 - 11/16/02 07:35 PM How to break a fishing rod!!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#165544 - 11/16/02 07:51 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
I just got back from breaking my lamiglass. A chum ran through my legs and I could step around fast enough!
beathead

~steelymann~

#165545 - 11/16/02 09:01 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
mudslinger Offline
Smolt

Loc: GOLD BAR,WA
i broke a spinning rod not long ago and what i figured what happened was all the casting i was doing loosened the rod up at the joint and the tip section just kept sliding farther off with every cast until it got enough leverage to split it through the joint area.so now i keep checking to make sure it stays tight,so far it hasn't been a prob with my lamiglas,Bruce

#165546 - 11/16/02 09:06 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
I was fishin for steelies off of the beach on whidbey island and hooked mah first salt water steelie. I was so happy that after I landed the fish I was jumpin up and down and hootin n hollerin and landed right on top of my pole. It was the most expensive pole I had bought and it broke into a couple of three or four pieces. The guys in the boat got a good laugh out of it.

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#165547 - 11/16/02 09:13 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Neurosis Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
beathead I broke one trying to pull a snag out of the trees. Yeap. Thats right! The trees. Never ever ever shake your pole around like a madman trying to yank a snag out of trees or bushes. Pull straight! eek Oh yea.. and watch out for flying lead. smile

Know the Toe!
http://www.cameltoe.org
My Website

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

#165548 - 11/16/02 09:14 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I was fishing for salmon out of Shilshol and trolling along with a deep six and a spoon when I snagged something big! Picked up the rod to try and release the diver with the usual quick jerk and 'snap'!

I found out later that I had hooked onto the mooring platform or lines that the barge uses out there. What a bummer!!!!! It was my first salmon rod and I had bought it 15 years ago.

Gave me a good excuse to buy another though and better quality.

#165549 - 11/16/02 09:27 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Well lets see the first one I broke was my first fly rod. Broke it going thru the woods. Got caught in some bushes and in my haste to undo it it broke above the ferrel. The second one was also a fly rod,I was sliding down a hill and at the bottom I landed kinda hard and the butt hit the ground and the tip shattered. I also broke a spinning rod. Got hooked on the bottom and in my rage as I was thrashing around it shattered. And last but not least I broke my favorite fly rod this fall. I was down on the river fishing and my reel decieded not to work (bearing fell out) beathead so I went back to my car to change reels and as I was stringing my line thru the guides it just broke above the ferrel. It must of been just part of my good luck that I've been having this year.

#165550 - 11/17/02 10:33 AM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
The first time I broke a rod (rods) I was pulling plugs about ten years ago and let another inexperienced person in the boat work the tiller while I was tying some gear up. I have an upright rod rack in the sled and he turned the tiller the wrong way into a heavy current. We ended up next to the bank under some trees shattering three custom made loomis rods.
The next time was on the Toutle river about four years ago I laid my rod on the rocks to unhook a fish and the fish flopped on the rod breaking the tip(custom made Lamiglas)
The last time was last month on the Chehelis while trying to get a large silver into the net to much pressure at the last second trying to get his head in the net and snap.
RAMPRAT

#165551 - 11/17/02 12:17 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
I know ive broken 10 to 15 rods and honestly only know of two that i remember where on fish. lamiglass never a problem taking em back, loomis was a pain in the ass, thats why i only fish lamiglass, loomis makes a better rod but i will never fish one, i cant remember that guys name who wouldnt warranty the rod but i wanted to smack him in the beek so bad and it 14 yrs ago.... evil

#165552 - 11/17/02 12:27 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
OneMoreCast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
computer Alaway wear glasses and bring a extra rod.....

#165553 - 11/17/02 02:06 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Ah, so many rods...so many more little pieces beathead Nearly all the other rods I have broken while using them (mostly on snags of course) have failed for the same reason - always on a little ding. Of course then theres the car doors, tailgates, tripping in the boat, stepping on them in the garage, running over them, having a horse step on them, and just about every other stupid thing possible rolleyes

#165554 - 11/17/02 04:18 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
River Raider Offline
Fry

1st time (2 rods, 30 seconds) no more dogs allowed in the driftboat no matter how well behaved they seem.

2nd time (1 rod, wife loading them into car)
cardoor reduced length by 6 inches

#165555 - 11/17/02 05:03 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Some freinds and I where floating the Deshutes around SunRiver years ago. We had costco rafts and lots of beer. Another guy and I threw our fly rods in, just in case we got bored with drinking.

We got to the bottom, hadn't done much fishing, but had done lots of drinking. Unloading the rafts, all the gear scattered around on the ground and the other guy who had brought a rod yelled his beer was empty. A beer was tossed, missed its mark, and a 4-peice fly rod became a seven-peice fly rod.
frown

#165556 - 11/17/02 05:40 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Lets see now...it has been awhile...so I'm claiming that the statute of limitations has ran out. :p

The last three that I have seen broken were all broken in different ways.

There was the guy fishing Kings on a noodle. rolleyes You know the guy...hang up on a snag and yards till something gives...Dope! eek

The guy with the tight drag...boondoggin...hung on the fish...err I mean snag...kershnap! eek

The guy who didn't back up the bank to land his fish...instead chose to get it close enough to kick it up himself...sssssshhnnnap! beathead

Funny thing to all these mishaps...not one onlooker acknowledged even witnessing the breakeage. Must be an unwritten code or something. laugh

FJ...out.

#165557 - 11/17/02 06:51 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
The Deschutes in Oregon- 2 broken rods in one day. No one told me that there were 40 pound chinook near Maupin in Early August. After that one snapped I pulled out my 10 foot ol' reliable and yanked really hard on a snag. It came loose but hit a boulder behind me. Bye Bye. Needless to say, my trip was ruined. Also broke one @ Blue Creek. Actually I didn't break it. I set my rod down to get a steelie from a net and some guy stepped on it while he was walking a fish downstream. He went on to tell me to be careful that I move my rod when someone is walking a fish down. So I guess I should just forget about the one in the net..... beathead

#165558 - 11/17/02 07:07 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
Chum Eater Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Redmond, WA
One Fly rod in the garage door, not my fault of course and one spinning rod that helped brake my fall on the Sky this summer...What I learned... Wear felt soles on the Sky...never trust your rod to a friend to put away...do it yourself...

#165559 - 11/17/02 10:52 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Cowlitz, I think you started something here....
Mother in law broke one it the truck door once. She felt REALLY bad, but it was a cheap rod. Cousin and car trunk lid on a fly rod many years ago. I did the unforgivable once, hung up on a rock, tried to pop it off by yanking it, and my favorite small river rod blew up. Dumb a$$ move on my part. And I broke one last year as we were fighting a big steelie in fast water; lost my balance and fell against it in the drift boat. evil

#165560 - 11/18/02 11:05 AM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I have broken 2 Lamiglas rods, (1) a Herzog BC setting the hook on what I thought was a fish and turned out to be a mess of line and corkies. On the set the rod BLEW UP at the cork and about 6" down from the tip. (2) OUCH, I was using my Lami Titanium for Springers and it BLEW UP right where the Titanium ends and the Graphite begins and about 6" from the tip. I set the hook on a Springer and caboom it was over, my son held what was left of the rod and I played the fish from the butt section for a few minutes than the leader broke.

On the funny side I saw a guide a few years back take his drift boat out on a rough ramp on the Bogy, he forgot to secure his anchor and the trailer hit a rut and the anchor swung up and around 4 Loomis Rods, needless to say all 4 rods had broken tip sections. He blew it off and said get new ones from Loomis which I am sure he did.
fishy

#165561 - 11/18/02 11:40 AM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
Mason bees set up shop inside the ferrule of my pole during the summer. (Unbeknownst to me) I put the pole halves together thinking that it had bottomed out. but it was only about 1" into the ferrule. Fifteen minutes into opening day on the Carbon, I hang up on a rock, give it a fair tug and BANG! Broke at the joint.
But the story ends happily. My father-in-law hears about my plight and buys me a new Lami as an early Christmas present.

#165562 - 11/18/02 01:17 PM Re: How to break a fishing rod!!
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Several years ago, at Hoodsport (and one time, at band camp), a guy next to me shattered a spinning rod on a chum. It was in three pieces. The chum was still on, so my buddy picked up the tip piece, I picked up the middle shard and the unlucky rod owner stayed on the handle fragment. We coordinated a pull and reel drill, interspersed with the fish taking line, and eventually landed the fish.

Wives; you've got to love them. I must have put my rods in the car and taken them out thousands of times. My wife has done this ONCE, she broke a favorite spinning rod of mine in the car door.

My sister. Years and years ago, she snuck a spinning rod out of the house. It had belonged to my grandfather, who introduced me to fishing. I never used it. I had it as a keepsake. She took it to a lake with a bunch of her friends. At the end of the day, she left it propped against the back of her car and ran over it when she was backing out of wherever she parked. It's been 30 years and I still get hot about that one.

Me? I broke two rods in the last three years, both in exactly the same fashion. Landing fish on a confined bank space. Trying to haul the fish just that last foot onto the shore and it starts flopping harder than it ever fought in the water. It's called an ignosecond - like that instant when you shut the car door and realize you just locked the keys inside - you realize that you've just put way too much bend and pressure on the rod and just the instant before you can ease up, the rod shatters.

Buy your Loomis rods at Auburn Sports and Marine and you will have no trouble with the exchange. You take it in, you get your replacement off the rack and if it's not in stock, they order it. They get my business for this specific reason, but believe me, I've made it worth their while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1450 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |