THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#784757 - 09/10/12 09:15 PM So What do you Do ?
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
When the Church People come to your door?

Seems like every other month, a compact sedan with some eldery folks make the trek down my driveway and the brave one gets out and knocks on the door.

Sometimes I'm sorta nice. Today, well, perhaps not so nice. After repeated rings to the door bell, I answered the front door by just a crack and blurted out... " Not Interested...Go Away " So the guy trys to shove his glossy covered church speak propaganda through the crack in the door. I pinched that sucker in the door jamb with all the groceries I had going for me. After a second or perhaps two, I let it go. Off he went mumbling sumptin' about some sinner not gonna be welcome in heaven.

Gezzus, I mean really.

As a young apprentince, then a fledgling journey machinist, I worked my share of graveyard shifts at Boeing in the early 1980's. I lived in Renton at the time and the Jehova Witness folks would come by on a regular basis letting me know that they were praying for me. They stopped waking me up after I would fail to get dressed before answering the door.... Go Figure.

#784761 - 09/10/12 09:23 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Anyone that comes to my home to sell me anything including religion gets the same reaction. I hold up my hand, tell them to stop talking, that I have no interest in anything they have to say, they should leave now as they are trespassing on my property without permission and that this is polite as I am going to be. Generally, they don't say anything, turn around and leave.

#784763 - 09/10/12 09:27 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Black Bart]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: Black Bart

Sometimes I'm sorta nice. Today, well, perhaps not so nice.

Gezzus, I mean really.

With consideration to the content of your post, these were some funny lines.

I have have never had the gall to physically hurt one of those types but I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind at least once.

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#784777 - 09/10/12 10:12 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: JTD]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Used to have a group show up and drop flyers off at my house all the time, I had to pick those things up out of my pine trees way too many times. After being out of town for some time came back and these things were all over my front yard, I mean like two bushel baskets worth. So I cleaned them up and during their next meeting I went up there and drove all the way around their newly planted lawn digging as I went and threw those flyers all over the place and yelling at them never to set foot on my property again, never had a problem again.

You could give this a try!

Yes I was young and did some stupid things once.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#784794 - 09/10/12 10:55 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Black Bart]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Black Bart
When the Church People come to your door?

I picked up a hand carved quran holder in Uzebekistan that now holds a nice shiny quran (of course).

If and when they can't read the "No Solicitors" sign at my door and still bother to knock, The good Rev. Dr. Paker invites them in for a reading of the quran.

Had a pair come in...all excited they had some fresh biblical/mormon/Jehova/Christian (I forget which) meat...only to realize in HORROR that yes, I really was going to read the quran to them and ask them why they are not embracing islam.

Allah AkPaker! Death to the Infidelities!

This Rev. Dr. Paker is so going to...er...Hell? Not too sure where infidels go....I know the "good" islams go to a pod of virgins...but where do the other 99% go?

#784805 - 09/10/12 11:23 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: The Moderator]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I just politely tell them I am not interested, but thanks anyway. I do not begrudge any sales person doing their job, we all sell something.

#784816 - 09/10/12 11:36 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Us and Them]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Apparently, TJ is only a cock around here.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#784826 - 09/10/12 11:59 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Dan S.]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Apparently, TJ is only a cock around here.

rofl rofl rofl

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#784837 - 09/11/12 12:37 AM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I was playing catch with my son a while a go when a couple of Mormon kids came up, we talked for over an hour about football, fishing and hunting. The one kid was an ex-quarterback for his highschool team and threw some passes to my son. They were good dudes and didn't get the snub from me.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#784870 - 09/11/12 03:36 AM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: RowVsWade]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
If you can't read the no tresspassing and beware of the dog signs......the dogs will give you a less than "gentile" reminder.......nobody gets beyond them without my OK. The youngest son tried to drive through them.....as soon as he hopped out, the dog put him up on his car hood before I could call them back. UPS and such no longer go beyond the gate. And neighbor's stay on their side of the fences. Kinda nice. smile

#784915 - 09/11/12 11:24 AM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Buyer beware!

Most door to door visitors are casing the joint for an after hours visit................and it won't be from GOD.

I have started wearing my gun on my hip when I answer the door, they usually move right along no matter how nice I am.....

Fishy

#784931 - 09/11/12 12:05 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My signs usually keep unwanted people away.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#784950 - 09/11/12 12:51 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I sort of have a quiet regard for their willingness to go door to door like that. Sales is hard, and door to door cold sales has to be about the worst job ever. I respect that and so I take it easy on them and just be polite, frank and honest:

"I get a raging boner every time I discuss religion. Fair warning. Now come on in lets talk about Jesus."

#784957 - 09/11/12 01:02 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
My driveway is posted. If they show up, (and a few JW's have) they get asked "what part of no trespassing don't you get"? while I hold the dog at bay and slam the door.

Yardage markers with holes tend to keep people away.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#784971 - 09/11/12 01:23 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
No salesman, religious or otherwise, is welcome at my place. I find it absolutely rude (and potentially dangerous) to walk down someone's driveway unless I've called THEM to provide a service.

I had the JW's about a month ago. Stopped them before they even made it to my house. "Not interested but thank you" and waved them away. They seemed really stunned, which surprised me because I figure that would be the normal response they receive. I get the feeling though that most people are too "nice" to be this direct. The JW's STILL started to try to talk to me. I said, "I'm not interested but I wish you well." which was going to be my last friendly words. Fortunately, they turned away.

I will say that in my personal experience, nearly every mormon I've met is a genuinely nice person so it isn't that I think they are "jerks", I just think that anyone randomly showing up to strangers' houses is misguided.

#784978 - 09/11/12 01:47 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I ask them if they would like to listen to me try to sell them some aluminum siding. If they don't want to listen to that, I don't want to listen to them try to sell religion.

#785005 - 09/11/12 02:51 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: ]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
The Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormon Missionaries come knocking
on the door now and then. I do not subscribe to either take on the
way things work. However, I find it not difficult to be polite to them
and offer a smile and a 'have a good day'.
Their beliefs require some proselytizing so why persecute them?
The state of Illinois killed some Mormons, Rome killed a bunch of
Christians, Adolph killed a bunch of Jews and Gypsies.
Never forget.
Transcend the Bullchit.

#785010 - 09/11/12 02:59 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: RowVsWade]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
I was playing catch with my son a while a go when a couple of Mormon kids came up, we talked for over an hour about football, fishing and hunting. The one kid was an ex-quarterback for his highschool team and threw some passes to my son. They were good dudes and didn't get the snub from me.

^^^This... I have been left to deal with the Mormon crew by several homeowners . . . they like to duck back into the house when they seem them coming and leave the "contractor" to deal with them.
Every time they turn out to be nice polite kids who would rather talk about sports, construction or fishing it seems .. .

Now the JW's who show up at MY place. . . .that is a different story, they are fairly polite, in a "let me tell you what I think", pushy sort of way. . . . and continue to come back after being told no thank you. . .

I also answer the door with my .45 on my hip most times......

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#785017 - 09/11/12 03:08 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: FishRanger]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

I don't wish them ill, I just think its very rude to assume that because you can walk up to my door or that I am outside that I have an obligation to stop what I am doing to hear whatever you are trying to sell.

If its so great I will go and beat their door down.

Fishy

#785026 - 09/11/12 03:22 PM Re: So What do you Do ? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I was under my truck one day and saw some shoes coming up the driveway. Asked the guy what he wanted(I was still under the truck) and he was trying to sell me a security system. Told him I had a dog for that. He said that's not good enough. I said it will be good enough for you. He left.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 358 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |