LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#784664 - 09/10/12 03:35 PM weed eater (question for yard folks)
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I need a new one. Been using electric forever and thinking of getting a gas powered. Looking for something under $200 with easy to change chord. Saw an Echo at the Home Gypo but I dont know anything about echo. Is there a stihl or husqy for that price? Your thoughts?

j7 2012

#784667 - 09/10/12 03:43 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: j 7]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
if you don't mind curved shaft, stihl makes the FS45 for $159. ask and you should be able to get the bump feed head swapped for a fixed line head for no charge(if you want that kind of thing). if you want to go straight shaft, the FS55 is $219.

#784669 - 09/10/12 03:46 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: j 7]
redhook
Unregistered

you wont touch a good Stihl for that kind of money... you may be able to get one for that price used from a shop that repairs and sells them tho... there is nothing wrong with Echo, BUT, you have to spend money with them as well, their cheap a$$ bent shaft trimmers are garbage, and the straight shaft ones with enough CCs and power in the motor will push you past 200 bucks...

Shindawa is another good brand, but again, you wont touch a new one for probably under 400 bucks, so you may be able to purchase a used one as stated above...

for daily use applications you will want to go with the above mentioned brands, and if Red Max is making them, they are another good one... for home use, cheaper models will last you a long time if you take care of them... i had a Ryobi that was pretty cheap, but it had power, worked, and lasted nearly 10 years... my replacement was a Poulon Pro Link, Poulon is made by Husqvarna, and they are under 200 dollars...the Pro-Link attachment system is great too, you can get attachments from Tillers to Blowers... mine has a 33cc engine, and is extremely powerfull, even compared to 400 dollar Stihls and Echos, and mine was about 130 bucks if i remember right... the head however, isnt your typical head, its a single string head, but is big time heavy duty.. mine allows me to run thicker line, .105 i can max the engine out and blast through stuff no problem, and can go even higher if i wanted to...

if you want high end, buy used, go to pawn shops and or repair shops, or go to Walmart or anywhere else that sells Poulon, and stay away from curved shaft trimmers, straight shaft ones are easier to work with, and easier to work on in case of something bad happening... plus you can get the link attachments and trim your bushes or till your garden without buying a 1500 dollar Rototiller....

#784670 - 09/10/12 03:50 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: j 7]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: j 7
I need a new one. Been using electric forever and thinking of getting a gas powered. Looking for something under $200 with easy to change chord. Saw an Echo at the Home Gypo but I dont know anything about echo. Is there a stihl or husqy for that price? Your thoughts?

I ain't yard folk, but I would buy something that can edge as well.
No curved shaft.
Get a straight shaft that feels comfortable when you tip it vertically.

I bought a WeedEater brand gas many summers ago and while it runs like a top, it totally sucks for edging with its curved shaft.
Maybe I'll use the engine for a Giant Scale RC plane and hunt tweakers.

#784673 - 09/10/12 03:56 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Chum Man]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Originally Posted By: Chum Man
if you don't mind curved shaft, stihl makes the FS45 for $159. ask and you should be able to get the bump feed head swapped for a fixed line head for no charge(if you want that kind of thing). if you want to go straight shaft, the FS55 is $219.

I have a little FS45, and we have several of the largest straight shaft models at my work. For just my yard, the little 45 does a pretty kick a$$ job for as small as it is. I wouldn't use it to tackle anything much heavier than yard grass, for blackberries, field grass, etc., I'd step up to a larger straight shaft with fixed line head and heavy line.

#784691 - 09/10/12 04:20 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: ]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

I'm not keen on yard work. Philosophically and realistically it detracts from time spent fishing. Not wanting yet another internal combustion engine stored in my garage, last year I bought a Stihl electric weedeater. It's been fine for light duty work such as grass and weeds trying to grow where I don't want them. It's not up to the task of tackling anything that develops a woody stem however.

#784693 - 09/10/12 04:26 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Salmo g.]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I completely agree with Salmo g. Picked up the electric Stihl FSE 60 last year for something like $130(?) and have yet to fire up my older (and slightly mechanically questionable) gas weedeater since. For general around-the-yard work, it works well. Regardless of electric vs. gas, the bump feed Stilh system for replacing the line is far superior to that way it is done on a lot of other machines.

#784694 - 09/10/12 04:31 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Salmo g.]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I had a cheap weedeater. Actually, I still do, but it is dead.

I went whole hog and bought an FS 90. It is one of their commercial models. I put that fixed steel 3xblade on it, and haven't gone back to line since. I have to wear a face shield, along with long pants, but it pretty much takes care of everything, including trees up to about 2" in diameter. It was just over $300.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#784718 - 09/10/12 05:53 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: 2MANY

Mine is a Hybrid made by Stihl.
It has a spark plug that generates a small amount of electrical energy which works hand in hand with the fuel added to the cylinder.

You, sir, have really upped your game.

#784768 - 09/10/12 09:46 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i have an FS90 at home but the 55 is just fine for about 90% of your typical homeowner duties. in three years at the shop i've worked at, i can about count the number i've seen come in blown up on one hand. most problems are ethanol related. if you leave the gas in it over the winter, you'll probably be buying a new carb come spring time(cheaper than a rebuild, they're $30). not just that model, just about anything gas powered is gonna do that with the fuel we're stuck with now.

redhook lost me when he recommended poulan...stay away from that junk. husqvarna too, for that matter, unless you buy a high-end machine(FYI, husky's low end machines are poulans painted orange, and their new high end units are made by red max -- the only thing they actually manufacture are some of their chainsaws).

#784814 - 09/10/12 11:35 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Chum Man]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Harbor, with Fred?

I have a farm, which is why I went a little higher up in the models. If all I had was a lawn, a smaller model would certainly suffice.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#784841 - 09/11/12 12:48 AM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Dogfish]
Excitable Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: fuctifino

I used one these to cut a very large area over Labor Day, worked great. The string is .155 and just keeps going and going!

Ariens 22" walk behind string trimmer

Also used one on the larger Stihl commercial string trimmers straight shaft with a double shoulder harness with the bike bars. Worked great also, used it to get into the tight areas that the Ariens could not get to. I know this is overkill for most of our yards. I have a stihl chainsaw I bought in the 70's, never any problems. Would buy Stihl products always.

I have a John Deere string trimmer I use at home, what a piece of shat that is. Plus dealing with the J.D. dealers is a horrible experience!
Come on down where we can play
Come on down to my boat baby
Come on down we'll sail away.

#784980 - 09/11/12 01:48 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Excitable Bob]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Like Andy, I'm on acreage and use one for everything from edging to dropping 4-foot tall grass where the tractor mower won't reach. Shindaiwa T242. Not cheap but they are light, nimble, built like a Rolex and have a chrome-lined bore like most good things..... wink

#785320 - 09/12/12 02:45 PM Re: weed eater (question for yard folks) [Re: Dogfish]
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
J7, don't know where your located? but I have a brand new I want to say echo, (do know it's a brand name) I will let go REAL cheep, got it when a neighbor moved out of state and did not want to take it with him, If interested shoot me a message, Located in Bothell thrasher's corner, Thanks Doug

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 792 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |