THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#844828 - 06/21/13 10:42 PM There's no free lunch?
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#844870 - 06/22/13 01:10 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
what's your point?

#844892 - 06/22/13 06:35 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: fish4brains]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

My point is to provoke thought.

Should government be in the business of providing lunches?

What business's or unions profit from these programs?

What lesson do the children learn from such programs?

Is there ever a truly free lunch?

#844898 - 06/22/13 07:51 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
ever had had a first grader say, when you tell him that there will be no school over xmas, but where am I going to eat. I have it hurts.

#844899 - 06/22/13 08:17 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: larryb]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The poor kid's single mom should have thought about that before she had a child out of wedlock because she was shamed out of having an abortion...or better yet, legislated out of having an abortion by a bunch of jackassed old white dudes who think they know better than a woman about how to run her life.

"Love the fetus, ignore the child"-Right Wing Mantra.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#844902 - 06/22/13 08:36 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: Todd]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Quote:

real fkn intelligent, Toddler. rolleyes

As much as hand-outs piss me off, no one in their right mind punishes the children for their parent's shortcomings.

#844905 - 06/22/13 09:04 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

"knowing" has little to do with Todd's drivel

#844906 - 06/22/13 09:12 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: larryb]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: larryb
ever had had a first grader say, when you tell him that there will be no school over xmas, but where am I going to eat. I have it hurts.
No I never have and I'm sure it would be an unpleasant situation. However If our society produces so many parents that can not or will not feed their children, that it becomes necessary for the government to intervene, it is clear to me that society has failed in most basic need.

Originally Posted By: Todd
The poor kid's single mom should have thought about that before she had a child out of wedlock because she was shamed out of having an abortion...or better yet, legislated out of having an abortion by a bunch of jackassed old white dudes who think they know better than a woman about how to run her life.

I don't know the child that larryb was referring to, but I do agree with you that any woman who chooses to have a child out of wedlock should have thought about it, because the statistics show that such children are very disadvantaged. As for your abortion quips, consider that there was a time in this country when people felt shame when they behaved badly, and that such feelings had a positive effect on behavior. Also consider that our Congress which is in a great part a bunch of jackassed old white dudes who think they know better than the governed, is in the business of legislating, and that all legislation affects people for good and ill.

"Respect and empower all people."- Right Wing Mantra
"Trust the Government, they'll fix it."-Left Wing Mantra

#844908 - 06/22/13 09:18 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Quote:
"Trust the Government, they'll fix it."-Left Wing Mantra

We need a stronger "middle".

#844909 - 06/22/13 09:18 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: blackmouth

So how about the Right Wing Mantras against gay marriage, abortion, immigration, and a multitude of other non-respect of people?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#844915 - 06/22/13 10:21 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
It's a patch on something that's broken in society. I agree that adults make some really stupid choices, but no kid should go hungry because their parents are stupid.

#844919 - 06/22/13 11:02 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Todd, Hampster gave you a rundown on the Rights position on your respect query, Now here is a little more on my position on Federal funded lunch programs for children. I don't like the concept. I certainly don't want anyone going hungry, especially children. However if we are to solve the problem of hunger we should realize that when parents are unable or unwilling to feed their children, the hunger of those children is a symptom of an illness, and while the symptom must be dealt with so must the illness if there is ever to be resolution of the problem.

I personally don't like people learning to rely on federal government as a solver of societal problems, as that simply empowers federal government and dis-empowers local governments, churches, fraternal organizations, and families, the very institutions that have traditionally been the safety net for the poor and powerless. I submit that local governments, churches, fraternal organizations, and families would be better suited at providing local relief services, and that when the feds take over those responsibilities some people become dissociated from the problems, and others become government reliant, exacerbating the situation.

The answer to our problems lie in more self reliance and less government. The trouble is that there are to many people wanting that "free lunch".

#844938 - 06/23/13 07:12 AM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

50 years ago the very thought of accepting our current situation would have been just as unthinkable as the thought of returning to a culture more based on self reliance seems to be now. The changes took place incrementally. If we are to return to a more sustainable situation, the necessary changes would also have to occur incrementally.

#844944 - 06/23/13 10:02 AM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Extreme Budget Cuts of 2014

The most shameful achievement of the House Republican majority has been the elimination of $1.5 trillion in discretionary spending through 2022, which has already held back the economy from substantial growth and done real damage to people and communities that depend on government dollars. The widespread pain caused by this year’s sequester is the best-known aspect of these cuts, but caps that will continue to limit virtually every program for nine more years will also be extremely harmful.

( third paragraph)

House Republicans, of course, have decided to exceed the caps for their favorite programs. They want to give the Pentagon a 5.4 percent increase — $26 billion it doesn’t need — along with a 3.3 percent raise to Homeland Security. To pay for that, and still shrink the budget, they are demanding severe cuts from spending bills for which they have little use: nearly 19 percent out of the labor, health and education bill; 15 percent from the financial services oversight bill; 14 percent from the interior and environment bill; and 11 percent from the energy and water bill.

"Tough to feed those kids when you want to shovel more money toward the Pentagon and Homeland Security!"

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#844977 - 06/23/13 02:16 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Is the sky falling?

#845073 - 06/24/13 10:04 AM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: Salmo g.]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Health of U.S. Children Improves, but More Live in Poverty: Report

WASHINGTON — Families in the United States are making gains in education and health, two key factors in their overall well-being, a report released on Monday showed, adding to data that suggests the U.S. economy is slowly rebounding from the 2007-2009 recession.

Still, the latest findings on the state of U.S. children and their parents by the Annie E. Casey Foundation found many families continue to struggle with poverty amid a lack of steady, full-time work and affordable housing.

Nationwide, 16.4 million children, or 23 percent, were in families living in poverty in 2011, an increase from 15.7 million, or 22 percent, in 2010, and 3 million more than in 2005, the data showed.

"The negative impact of the recession remains evident," researchers at the non-profit youth advocacy organization wrote in their annual report, which focuses on children of all ages. The report is closely watched by federal and state policymakers.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/06/24/us/24reuters-usa-children-wellbeing.html?hp&_r=0

" Aren't the Corps making record profits?"

Fishy

Edited by Somethingsmellsf (06/24/13 10:04 AM)

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#845168 - 06/24/13 09:45 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

If you can't afford 'em, eat 'em.

OK, OK......it was a joke.

#845177 - 06/24/13 10:46 PM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: Salmo g.]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Is the sky falling?

Perception is a matter of perspective.

#845196 - 06/25/13 12:39 AM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: blackmouth]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Love the fetus, hate the child.

#845211 - 06/25/13 08:23 AM Re: There's no free lunch? [Re: Illahee]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Love the whales, abort the fetus.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |