Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252761 - 08/23/04 02:17 AM Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Richard E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was driving up I-5 northbound from Olympia, and unfortunately was stuck in some serious traffic backup.

As I passed over the Nisqually River bridge, I looked up stream, and there was a net crossing the ENTIRE river! I believe only members of the Nisqually Tribe can net this section of river. I have understood that Indians netting a river cannot net the entire span of the river.

What are the rules for Native American netting? Though I try to understand the Native American's perspective (heck, my great grandmother was 100% Native American) of netting rivers, it seems awful shortsighted to net a river in this manner. I mean, digressing slightly, but the fish that are being harvested are the best of the best! These are the fish that have made it past every natural and man-made circumstance to make it back to their natal river to procreate and continue their genes, just to get netted right before they get their job done.

And, if the nets are not supposed to span the river, who enforces whatever the rules are? Who does one contact if a Native American is not conducting themselves according to 'the rules'?

Look forward to educating me on the rules. Thanks!

#252762 - 08/23/04 03:12 AM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Rules for Indian netting?

Good one! Had me laughing for a long while!

Who enforces the "rules?

Another classic!

Who to contact?

With the Tribes having the WDFW by the balls try the news media.

In all seriousness there are "rules" they have to follow but they aren't enforced heavily and are not alwas followed word for word. I believe that a net can only cover 1/2 of a river or maybe 1/4 but I'm not sure. Others might know more the details.

#252763 - 08/23/04 12:07 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I know, it is a bunch of B.S! I drove past the puyallup yesterday, and there were 5 indian boats on a very short section of river and each of them had a driftnet stretching across the entire river! I don't know how any fish can get past that many nets. Yet the "non-native americans" can't even go down there and catch and release.

#252764 - 08/23/04 12:54 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
Richard,

If you are 1/4 Indian you probably have a better chance than the rest of us to find this info out. You could contact the tribe in the area and ask them about the rules as you are probably entitled to fish \:\) Make a few phone calls and let us know what you find!

#252765 - 08/23/04 03:41 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Orting
http://www.goia.wa.gov/directory/toc.html

Maybe you can find some info in here somewhere.

#252766 - 08/23/04 04:51 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
ramon vb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
First, I want to make sure that everyone knows that neither I nor Washington Trout (where most of you know I work) are big supporters of current tribal fisheries management. But having said that, I think that most of you react too emotionally to this issue without thinking it through or getting the facts.

A "net" stretched all the way across a river is not in and of itself the crime many of you make it out to be. First of all, do you even know what it is you're looking at? The anchor rope you see tied at both banks is likely to have several different types af panels hanging from it of various depths and mesh size. It might even be missing panels, creating gaps that fish can safely swim through. In other words there might not be actual "net" stretched all the way across.

Secondly, even if it is all the way across, and it is removed when or before the legal quota is met, what's the diff? If the net was left all the way across 24-7 for the entire season, that would be one thing, but I don't beleive that is very often the case. You can argue about the quota, or the aims of the fishery (WT often does), but gear type is not usually the big problem (unless you're trying to implement a "selective" fishery).

Thirdly(?), in-river fisheries are often the most responsible way to manage a fishery because they are generally not mixed-stock. In terminal fisheries, you generally know exactly what you're fishing for and certainly where they came from, and can manage the fishery accordingly. For instance, maybe you do want the net stretched all the way across the river during some period because you want to meet your quota by catching every hatchery fish swimming by, which may have a different run-timing than the wild fish you're trying to avoid in the fishery. This is certainly what most PS tribes try to do in their steelhead fisheries. They don't always achieve perfect results, and there certainly can be problems with this approach, but it's not exactly rape and pillage either.

I don't know what you saw, and I certainly wouldn't try to call the Nisqually's paragons of fish-management virtue. But the scientific, political, and social issues surrounding treaty fishing-rights and tribal fisheries-management are difficult and often nearly intractable. It doesn't help when Native Americans percieve reactions to their harvest techniques as something like: "I saw some Indians fishing! This has to stop!" I have to say that I can see their point, and I don't support many of their practices any more than you do.

#252767 - 08/23/04 05:49 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Well said R.V.

#252768 - 08/23/04 06:09 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Down with Ramon! Let's throw him in the river and see if he makes it through a missing panel!

Just kidding...good information.

I'm pretty much swamped for the next month, but if we can find some time in there, want to chat about the PS hatchery plans comment period? I'd like to pick your brain a bit (or perhaps Nate ought to do it) and see what's going on.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#252769 - 08/23/04 06:10 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Please tell me you aren't supporting the tribal net fisheries. You make it sounds all innocent, but if a white guy like me wants to go down there and catch and release a fish I would be ticketed instantly. I'm sorry but that is B.S!

#252770 - 08/23/04 06:23 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
ramon vb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
Very nice Todd, very nice! I'll admit I'm not as confident in my analysis as all that!

I'm planning on being in Bremerton on Sat with my torch lit and pitchfork sharp. Will I see you there? As you might guess I'd have plenty to share with you. (In fact if you guys have any carpool set up from Seattle, I wouldn't mind a ride.)

and floatandjig-

Please wipe the tears of rage from your eyes and read my post again. I mentioned a couple times in a couple ways my position on current tribal management. I was just trying to point out that things are rarely as simple as they seem, and that shooting from the hip rarely helps.

#252771 - 08/23/04 07:36 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
Ramon,

Very well stated. Unfortunately from the bridge all one can see is the line going all the way across the river. We don't think about missing panels, etc. Of course the other part of it is seeing that for 5-6 days straight. Especially on the Puyallup. It seems you see it a lot more there for some reason.

BTW: I wouldn't mind carpooling to Bremerton. And if you are planning on driving around I'm right on your way! \:\)

#252772 - 08/23/04 09:46 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
While I'm not a fan of gill nets I have to agree with Ramon - we anglers don't often look at the tribal fisheries in total context of what is occurring in all the fisheries.

We tend to forget that the lion share of the non-treaty share is caught in the marine waters. Conversely most of the tribal share is caught in the terminal area (often the river). For any that have gone to the North Falcon salmon season setting process it is clear that we as a group prefer it that way - we want to catch our share of fish in the salt. This even though as Ramon points out river fisheries are much more biologically sound.

While it would seem likely that nets would get all the fish it is surprising how many do escape the nets. Floatandjig mentioned the Puyallup River. In 2003 more than 38,000 coho returned to the hatchery at Voight's Creek (see WDFW's hatchery escapement report). Only 1,656 were spawned for the next year's release - thus more than 35,000 surplus fish escaped the nets.

Tight lines
S malma

#252773 - 08/23/04 10:18 PM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
What I remember about the Indian nets is that they are supposed to leave room for boats to navigate around the nets.
I recall a few years ago seeing a net from bank to bank (on a local river)and I questioned the Indian about leaving room for navigation, He mumbled something about the tide being out and when he laid the net he left room for navigation.
He then went into a fit talking about how a guy with a prop on tore up one of his nets and how much they cost etc.
Didn't really feel sorry for him at all, I figured if he had any sense at all he would have learned not to block off the whole river.
Ramprat

#252774 - 08/24/04 02:36 AM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I believe the only sane way for tribes to net salmon is to do it selectively on individual rivers as run size numbers allow. Indescriminate open water net fishing (sound, strait or ocean) will reduce our salmon runs to nothing again like Puget Sound in the early 90's. As bad as netting rivers seem it's the best alternative for getting tribes their share while minimizing destruction on sensitive runs. That said...rivers shouldn't be netted more than 4 days and 3 days a week alternating and should never have navigation interrupted. Netting only allowed as sufficient escapement occurs on a daily basis. Netting should not be allowed February through April.

#252775 - 08/24/04 11:18 AM Re: Tribes and netting rivers - a question
bodysurf Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
Maybe the tribes could use fishtraps again instead.........?? It's kinda funny , my friend ...a Brando fan, has a picture of Marlon getting arrested for participating in a 'fish-in' on the Nisqually R. supporting tribal netting....

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1395 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |