Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#276182 - 01/09/05 11:15 AM Right wing media hypocrisy
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I have learned at the feet of the Master(s) and I now can identify the subtle stench of media bias. So, let's look at the self proclaimed but likely dean of the "conservative" commentators in Western Washington, John Carlson.

On Friday, Dino Rossi announced the election contest. In his statement or the press conference that followed he stated (not verbatim but I think accurate) - "The people of the State of Washington can not tell who won this election." Sounds like a good definition of a tie. When Gregoire said that it was a tie, Carlson and others (many here as well)savaged her. However, on Friday, Carlson proclaimed Rossi, "Gubenotorial, calm, measured."

Carlson also made much of a poll done by Moore Information that showed 56% of the population wanting a revote. If the poll had shown 56% of the population proclaiming Gregoire the winner and that polling company primarily worked for Democrats and one of the principals had been Maria Cantwell's campaign manager, I believe that John would have felt a "responsible duty" to inform us. However, since none of these items were present, he made no comment other than to indicate to the listening audience that this poll was accurate and "very important news". One may want to check into the background of Moore Information. If so, here is the link: http://www.moore-info.com/About_Staff_Exec.php

I support the revote effort and am looking forward to casting my vote. I am uncertain who I will vote for - I would love to see a viable 3rd party because both the Dems and the GOP have covered themselves with shame through this process. We'll see what happens....

Once again, I would ask all that care to do their own research, form their own opinions and not just do a cut and paste job to support their contentions. I wish there was something that I could do to rein in the power of the KVI's of the world. I can change my subscription to the newspaper but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#276183 - 01/09/05 12:24 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta second that.

Oh, and Carlson is an idiot, always has been... my opinion of course... he reminds me of a deranged Chihuahua.

#276184 - 01/09/05 01:00 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
Originally posted by eddie:
Yet I listen - what does that say about me???
That listening to both sides keeps you well informed, even if that means taking a bite of a chyt sandwich now and then. ;\)

#276185 - 01/09/05 02:10 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Quote:
but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???
hey Ed I listen to you....what's the difference?

I even heard you call in on John's show and he was very polite and let you voice your opinion. He didn't call you an idiot or what you had to say "crap"....Just someone who disagrees with your take on things....

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#276186 - 01/09/05 02:28 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:

I wish there was something that I could do to rein in the power of the KVI's of the world. I can change my subscription to the newspaper but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???
------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie,

You're one liberal whose opinion I really value, and it surprises me that you would want to limit anyones free speech.

In the free market place of ideas, supply and demand dicates who dominates our airways.

As the old saying goes, 'even bad publicity is good publicity'. If you feel Carlson has a negative effect on all those who tune him in, it probably doesn't do any good to keep referencing him and KVI in your posts.

I don't have a problem with KIRO, National Public Radio or Air America. If someone wants to listen to them--more power to 'em. I don't happen to agree with many of the pundits on those stations, but that's what makes our country great; In the market place of free ideas--I don't have to.

#276187 - 01/09/05 03:24 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
eddie Offline
Carcass

Rory, in general I agree with you. However, the distinction in this case is that the public owns the frequency that KVI operates on. To have one political viewpoint so thoroughly dominate a publicly owned resource is not healthy IMHO.

Your other point about me giving publicity to Carlson and KVI is fair. I do listen to KVI while driving because they are the only local political stuff on during the afternoon drive time. I will listen to Siegel on 770 during the morning, unfortunately, the station does not come in as well in the South end.

I notice that neither you nor Grandpa had any comment on the first paragraph of my post. I called it crap because KVI has reported a lot of "facts" that turned out not to be true through the Gubernotorial election. I have truly felt them to be the propoganda arm for the GOP. Whadya think????

#276188 - 01/09/05 04:21 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by pacificnw:
Gotta second that.

Oh, and Carlson is an idiot, always has been... my opinion of course... he reminds me of a deranged Chihuahua.
Hay knock that off you're insulting my Chihuahuas as your right Carlson is an Idiot as he isn't exactly a "Poster Child" for the Republican Party.

He would equate real well with Mike Arafat, Bagdad Jim or our Tennis Shoe Wearing Senator from Washington.

#276189 - 01/09/05 04:45 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:

I have truly felt them to be the propoganda arm for the GOP. Whadya think????
------------------------------------------------------------

On a national level, the same thing could be said about NPR and the democrats--it ALL comes off in the wash.

One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media).

Do you know of any story KVI reported as fact that was later shown to not to be that they didn't retract or stop reporting?

The more we learn about these election results, the more they smell 'fishy'.

The only way WA residents will accept Gregoire or Rossi as Governer is to have re-vote with only eligable voters votes being counted.

Safeguards should be taken before hand to insure accurate results, for example: provisional ballots should be distinguishly different from regular ballots, make sure all military personnel have a chance to participate and perhaps reconcile the individual counties voter roles etc..

Gregoire is going to fight tooth and nail against this because I believe she knows full well that she would lose if there was a re-vote.

I think that alone tells fence sitters everything they need to know about whether Gregoire puts her own personal interest before that of the states--She wants to be Governor more than she wants to be Washingtons choice for Governor.

http://www.revotewa.com

#276191 - 01/09/05 06:06 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Anonymous
Unregistered

"One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media)."

I believe that about as much as I think that the O'Reilly Factor is really a "no-spin zone."

#276192 - 01/09/05 08:28 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
It appears to me that we, the public, have been getting a line of crap from the entrenched Democratic machines in Olympia and King County. Another example of the minority telling the majority what to do or forcing them to do it.

I think the talk shows and bloggers have served a great purpose of getting information out that the machine would cover up. The evidence of problems with the 2004 election for governor are so clear that is makes you sound just plain blindly partisan when you, like Gregoire, say all the charges are phony and trumped up by conservative talk radio. It just makes your arguments seem foolish. It is not the fault of KVI that over 60% or the people in our state think the election was flawed and should be tossed out. Who knows how many other elections have been engineered over the years around here.

Unfortunately, without fraud or cheating the King County elite have elected Patty Murray. Ron Simms, and Jim McDermott....over and over again. Now that is real CRAP.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#276193 - 01/09/05 09:18 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
eddie Offline
Carcass

Rory, you said "One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media)." This sure gives the truth to the old saw of "depends upon your viewpoint". My beef with Carlson in particular is his propensity TO manufacture stories. As Grandpa has correctly pointed out, there is no lack of legitimate reasons to contest this election and to have a revote. Why Carlson feels the need to invent stuff may be the answer as to why he received less than 40% of the vote in 2000!

#276197 - 01/10/05 12:48 AM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

There wasn't 2 wins for Rossi and 1 win for Gregroire. There was only one election, so only one final winner.

Imagine a hore race where the horses are running backwards. At the finish line it's too close to call (the first count). When first looking at the photo finish, (the second count) it's still too close to call. Only after enlarging the photo for closer scrutiny as allowed by the rules of the race (third count) do we see which horses end actually won by a hair.

It's really just semantics, but what it has done, along with the relentless whining of conservative talk radio and Chris Vance, is made Rossi out to be the "victim" in this ordeal. Washington being a somewhat liberal state, and liberal thinking people have a propensity to support the victim, Rossi will win by a landslide in a reelection - disregarding the real issues.

Funny, too, how the ones that cry the loudest about taxes, fiscal irresponsibility, and litigation happy America don't have a problem with what a revote is going to cost us.

I still think if there's a revote it should be on the entire previous ballot, not just the govenor.

#276199 - 01/10/05 11:21 AM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Eddie,

Is carlson listed in the media guide as a news format or talk show? Is he pushed as a hard news guy? I have never heard him nor do I listen to KVI so I am asking. BTW with the public owned airspace being leased to private companies . You can file a complaint and voice you opinion at reliscense time. Or just turn the dial.

#276200 - 01/10/05 12:47 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
eddie Offline
Carcass

TK - I believe KVI bills itself as a "news talk" format. As you know, the lines of distinction can be quite blurry.

#276201 - 01/10/05 01:04 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Eddie,

When ever a show is named after someone it is opinion from my view point. I only listen to the talkies in an election year or if there is something big happening. Otherwise it's all doom and gloom and I see enough of it first hand to need to be entertained by it.

#276202 - 01/10/05 02:39 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Why didn't Rossi and the Republicans think there was fraud or wrongdoing in the election when Rossi had the lead?

#276203 - 01/10/05 02:53 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Salmo, I've asked that same question a dozen times over the last week, and haven't received an answer yet...

The only difference between the Republicans shouting "Concede!" two weeks ago, and "Revote!" now is who's ahead...and that doesn't do a lot for their credibility.

As to the conservative media, they have really changed over the past six or seven years...it's almost impossible to see any line between them and the NRC...the conservative media is just an extension of the Republican propoganda machine...

Fox News, Fair and Balanced? For shame...

Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, John Carlson, etc., etc., etc....they constantly report as if they are all working for White House media relations (only since they have their own vehicles for spouting, they play much freer and looser with the truth than even the White House meda guys do...and that's saying something.)

Liberal Media Bias? Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

It's called a "useful myth"...one that has no basis in truth, but is used as a platform to launch the republican propaganda machine as a legitimate source of news.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#276204 - 01/10/05 04:04 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

"Liberal Media Bias? Yeah...right"

Just as much as that is an unbiased comment. 75% of the media polled last year admited a liberal bias. Several sutdies have concluded the same.

#276205 - 01/10/05 05:35 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
75% of the media polled last year admited a liberal bias.
Media is the plural of the word medium, which in this case refers to the many different ways news stories reach the public. Television, Print, Radio, the Internet etc... are mediums.

So how is a medium able to be polled there king? Did you mean the people responsible for the reporting? The huge conglomerates that own most of the television and radio stations and major newspapers and magazines?

Why would 75% of reporters, publishers, and news anchors have a liberal bias over a conservative one? It just doesn't make any logical sense?

I've always wondered why some folks perpetuate that myth, when I've yet to see any REAL proof?

#276206 - 01/10/05 05:51 PM Re: Right wing media hypocrisy
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

That's the cool thing about a conspiracy, you don't have to prove it. ;\)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1386 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |