Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#308858 - 08/09/05 05:58 PM Goin to Canada
T-rex Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
And I ain't been over the border in years. Just wondering since 9/11 or maybe in the last 8-10 years are there any new rules I should know about? Time was ya just stated your citizenship and you could boogy. What's it like now?

Oh yah--- Anybody know what a fresh and or salt license cost? Just four or five days..

#308859 - 08/09/05 06:17 PM Re: Goin to Canada
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
It's tougher to get back into the US than it is to get into Canada. Have your Birth Certificate with you.

Gas is 50% more expensive and BEER is 3 times as much!!

Here is the link for license fees ...
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Licensing/info_e.htm

#308860 - 08/09/05 06:25 PM Re: Goin to Canada
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
T-Rex,
Gutz pretty much nailed it. I go up ever year for a week at Lake Hium (leaving 2 weeks from Friday!!) and definately take a certified copy of your birth certificate for crossing back to the U.S. Just a drivers liscence doesn't verify citizenship. If you have a US issued passport I'd reccomend taking that as well just to make things simple.

Plus, save your receipts from lodging etc. and stop at the duty free on the Canadian side on your way back and you can get your GST refunded to you.

Gas is 103.9 per liter in Kamloops right now which coverts to right at $4 per gallon in canadian funds.

#308861 - 08/09/05 06:43 PM Re: Goin to Canada
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
If you're going on a weekend, I'd consider either the truck crossing or Sumas instead of Blaine... Unless you like sittin' in your rig for extended peroids of time.

#308862 - 08/09/05 06:59 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Exactly what GutZ said. I recommend bringing your full allotment of beer (I think 1 case per adult) plus have the boat tanks full if bringing a boat. Also, if you're partial to rye the duty free sells Alberta Springs by the liter and in my opinion it is very good for the price.

#308863 - 08/09/05 07:07 PM Re: Goin to Canada
noskunk Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellevue
I'll be up in Barkley Sound from the 26th to 30th, hopefully the fish will come in by then.
Most reports I have been reading say the bulk of fish are still 5-10 miles offshore.

Defintely have your gas tanks full and a passport or birth cert.

Good Luck.
Noskunk

#308864 - 08/09/05 07:09 PM Re: Goin to Canada
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
now you know what B.C. stands for......... Bring Cash and lots of it !! Gas booze and cigarettes are very heavily taxed, plus if you want to fish in freshwater, we charge you guys way too much. But thanks for coming up!

#308865 - 08/09/05 07:31 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
I disagree on the easy into Canada part....On our way to Quatsino last week, I was stopped at the border. We declared 3 bottles of liquor, 2 bottles of wine, and 3 cases of beer (for two adults).

The guy at the border was a real *****, tore the boat and truck apart, pulled apart all tackle bags, coolers, etc, put nothing back...then charged me 56 canadian for the duty on my alcohol.

#308866 - 08/09/05 07:41 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Get used to it Chip. I go up 3-4 times a year, they do it every time. Going is worst than coming back. In my book it's all worth it in the end.

#308867 - 08/09/05 09:49 PM Re: Goin to Canada
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
My experience is limited but for what it's worth, don't cross in a rental vehicle. The last time I went I was briefly detained by the US guys and questioned by a couple of serious harda$$es. They tore through my truck, which had a bunch of rods and fishing gear and a duffle bag with clothes. They didn't believe me that I was going fishing. They pressed me hard about where I was going, which spots, which bait, what species, what gear. Sheeesh. I almost had to cough up a zipperlip but got out of it after a good half hour of hassle.

I think it was because I was in a rental truck, so my advice would be to not go by in a rental.

#308868 - 08/09/05 11:24 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Knockin' on wood, been crossing 11 seasons now coming north and never once had things gone through.

Would never probably get away with it now, but we even went across back in college days with four guys in the back wearing Schmidt half rack boxes on their heads \:D

Remember, no firearms of any sort anymore w/o permit!!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#308869 - 08/10/05 12:09 AM Re: Goin to Canada
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I go up two or three times a month. ninety nine percent of the time I answer a few questions both going and coming and I am on my way. Of all the times I have been up there I have only had the truck checked once. Usually the least amount of questions come on the Canadian side. I do find that every once in a while Security is stepped up, mostly on the American side. Seems to slow it up a little, but that is about it.

You can bring one case of beer or a liter of booze. If you are a little over most of the officials don't care. But, if you try to bring in twice that amount you can expect to be charged 300% of the purchase price as Duty.
Just tell the truth, these guys are not looking for everyday folks who are a little over their duty free limit.

Gas is cheaper in Abbotsford. If you go through Sumas gas up there. Last week I was in Tofino and could not believe that gas was about 6 cents cheaper a liter then the Vancouver area.

Another trick to know is when things get crowded get into the duty free lane and stop in the store or go through the parking lot. When you come out you will be directed into the middle of the pack. I only use the truck crossing for this reason - well and to buy booze.

Back in May I sat through a presentation by Immigration/Customs on the Blaine Border. They showcased many of the cases they had during the month of April. It was amazing to see all of the contraband, mostly B.C. Bud being smuggled by everyone from Grandparents in Motor Homes to fisherman.

Give those Customs/Immigration people a break. There is a real problem up there with Drug smuglling and illegal alien smuggling. Sure, every once in a while you get an official who is having a bad day, but that has been rare in my experience.

The dollars, yes it is real expensive up there in the Vancouver area. But, when I get the discounts on my Visa from the exchange rate it tends to take the bite off.

Also, when you stop at Duty Free I would suggest you just get the form for your GST rebate and mail it in. Yes, Duty Free will cash you out, but they pay a much lower exchange rate in U.S. money. On the other hand if it is just a few bucks, who cares.

Safe travels!

#308870 - 08/10/05 12:40 AM Re: Goin to Canada
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I cross, on average ten times a a year. I almost never have any problems. I do think they tend to profile for big ole raised up 4X4 trucks, suspecting guns I suspect.

As for the gas I was all upset about their price till I did the conversion both of liters to U.S. gallons and our dollar to theirs. After all the math their gas was only a bit higher than ours. Of course ours is no bargain.

#308871 - 08/10/05 01:23 AM Re: Goin to Canada
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I've gotten popped about half the time I cross, especially trying to get back in to the US.

Having brown skin definitely doesn't do anything to help matters.

On several occasions, I have been asked, "Where's your papers, boy?" At first I thought the guy was kidding..... NOT! Felt like some canine mutt who couldn't produce his AKC registration. \:\(

And that was all pre-9/11.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#308872 - 08/10/05 10:34 AM Re: Goin to Canada
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Ditto what Bob said. I've been crossing the border about six times per year both ways for about 17 years now and have never had any problem. Don't know what the exact reason is but they've always been very courteous to me.

#308873 - 08/10/05 02:56 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Siwash Offline
Fry

Loc: Sky River Valley
I've never had any trouble either. I only go up a time or two a year and I bring my passport.

#308874 - 08/10/05 03:00 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
I haven't had any problems either, but I have noted that since we got our passports it has been a lot easier to go across. Seems like the passport makes it easier. We never take fruit, smokes or liquor, and I have found that about a 6 pack of beer never gets even a raised eyebrow. We were just up there Sunday and gas converted to about 2.90 a gallon, but it went up 6 cents a liter overnight.

#308875 - 08/10/05 03:11 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Koho King Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
What everyone has said above is great advice.

As well, if you are bringing gifts over $60 CDN up to Canada, they may try to tax the value above the $60.

Also, when coming back into the US, try not to bring in any fruits and vegetables. Fish of course is fine. Meats, it used to be they would inspect beef (for mad cow disease) but they may have lifted that recently.

#308876 - 08/10/05 03:17 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Koho King Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
I also purchased my salt water license and salmon stamp online before I left for my last trip to Nootka Sound a couple of weeks ago. I think it was around $35 for 5 days. I printed it out on my home computer and I was set. Saved some time and a trip to getting my license up there.

#308877 - 08/10/05 03:35 PM Re: Goin to Canada
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been crossing the border 4-6 times a month for nearly 13 years now. In all that time I have been checked by Canada twice. Once just a general SOP gander at the car, second time when it was 3 am. and I was picking my daughter up at the police station in Delta (her mom was soused, daughter ran to the PD to wait for me).

Don't even think about fibbing to either side...those BC folks will see right though most any half-truth...the US is much tougher since 9/11. Just look them in the eye, tell them where your going and what your going to do WHEN THEY ASK. Don't go volunteering info they are not asking for...it makes them suspicious and want to dig deeper.

On the US side, be sure to have a passport or CERTIFIED birth certificate. A photo-copy is only good if it is a certified copy. Beginning in 2007, ALL people entering the US will be required to have passports.

My motto has always been "Look them in the eye, tell them the truth". Never had a problem.

US side will typically ask:

What is your citizenship?

Where do you live?

Where have you been?

What/why were you there?

What are you bringing back? (that was bought in BC).

On occasion the US will ask:

Is this your car?

Who do you work for?

Canadian side is typically going to ask you your citizenship, where your going and why, and what you will be leaving in Canada while you are there.

Suggestions:

DO NOT be on the cell phone (or anyone in your vehicle) when you reach the border kiosk.

DO NOT have your radio on when at the kiosk.

If you are wearing sun glasses, remove them when you reach the kiosk. They like to see your eyes.

Have your ppwk prepared (give it all to the driver) when you reach the kiosk. You don't want to be digging around while they ask you questions, OR, they pull you in for inspection.

If you pulling a boat, EXPECT that the US side is going to want to inspect it for illegal cargo (drugs, explosives, etc.). It is what we pay them for, and like has been said, these guys/gals bust dozens each year trying to smuggle in all manner of bad things to the US.

Have a positive attitude, be patient and plan for the extra time that will be needed.

If crossing at Blaine, use Exit 275 (truck crossing). It is typically faster at any given time than the main (Peace Arch). Try to go at off-peak times..like 10 AM till about 2 pm. Weekends will suck until school starts again (vacations). Exiting Canada this is Exit 2A off of Hwy 99, or Hwy 15 if coming from Hwy 1.

Expect the exchange rate to be around 20%. $10 US will get you $12 in Canadian. Not that great, really.

Mis dos centavos.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1395 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |