Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#661809 - 02/09/11 05:55 PM WTB Fly Set Up for Central America
bacota Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
If any of you remember that, "A Hypothetical," post I started a while back, I'm happy to announce that that chit is no longer a hypothetical. I'm gonna be heading down to Belize (shout out to Kaiser D for your suggestion) in a month or so on a one way ticket, and see where things go from there.

From the research that I've done, the best all around fly set up for the fish down there will be a 9wt. I've heard that may be a little light for tarpon, but should handle most everything else. Oh, it's also got to be a 4 piece because it needs to fit in my backpack. A rod and reel package would be nice, but if you have one and not the other, I'd still be interested to hear about it. So I just wanted to see if anyone had anything lying around that they don't use that they want to get rid of. I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for the top of the line, but something that will hold up to some solid fishing for a a couple few months or longer. If it would be helpful for you, I'd be 100% willing to work out some kind of deal to trade manual labor if you have any projects around the house. Plus cash if the project wasn't enough. I have experience in various types of construction, so I know how to run a saw/power tools. I've also done some commercial fishing in AK, so if it's just straight up grunt work, I can do that too.

Or, if anyone has any suggestions on a brand new decent setup that won't totally break the bank (really hoping to spend no more than 400 or so), I'm all ears. Thanks for anything, ideas or otherwise, that you may have.

One other thing, now that I'm out of the office world, my innermet time has dropped off drastically (which is awesome, I might add). I'll try to check in here as often as possible but if I don't get right back to you, it's because I'm just not on here very much. PM's are welcome, too.

-Cheers, Andy

#661815 - 02/09/11 06:32 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: bacota]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I don't have a rod for ya but have a great time! Spend a little in Placencia. Try the Conch fritters. You will be glad you did.
Also try to figure out a way to get out to the flats. It's 28 miles off Placencia. Cuda, Jack, Bones, and the coolest....Permit.
Hope you have a great time!

#661939 - 02/10/11 11:20 AM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: seastrike]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Are ya ever coming back? If so I can loan you everything you need including flies.

Need some sort of collateral of testimonials from some guys i know. But if you pass i will loan you a couple of appropriate travel rods and reels.

#661947 - 02/10/11 12:05 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: Dave Vedder]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Bacota,

Tropical salt water fishing is a once in a while thing for me, so I have been getting by on the cheap. I'm heading to Mexico in 3 weeks, and my heaviest rod was an 8 wt I bought for a Bahamas trip 2 years ago. It is a house brand rod from "The Fly Shop" in Redding at $125, and it was plenty good for bones, and a faster action than I prefer. Long story shorter: check out Cabela's Three Forks series rods. 4-piece 8 and 10 wt for $59.99. Amazingly good action and feel and looks and finish for that price point. Look every bit as good as rods priced $250 or so. I just got the 10 wt to add to my quiver. I'll have a fishing and tackle report Mar. 9.

Saltwater worthy reels are a tougher proposition. For value I recommend checking into Allen Fly Fishing tackle. He has some really good import reels for as low a price as you'll find. I have one I got on a close out last year for $45 - he doesn't have any that cheap now - and I've got it loaded for the 8 wt with a bonefish line. If you'd rather not take that chance, the Ross CLA is a good reel for a little over $200. Or the Orvis mid-arbor gets good reviews also. And the best deal of all is to just borrow Vedder's stuff if he can be without it for as long as you'll be gone.

If you can do it, try and take both an 8 and 10 wt outfit. That way you aren't so over-gunned for the bones or small schoolie permit, and you still have the horsepower for larger permit, baby tarpon, 'cuda, snook, etc.

Have a great trip!

Sg

#662081 - 02/10/11 09:35 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: Salmo g.]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
You might take a look at Albright on the internet.

They offer pretty good gear at decent prices, especially on closeout.

I don't know why they closed out their five piece 8Wt. travel rods a couple of
years ago, but I am glad I bought one for a little over $100 and a Bugati reel for about $50.

For $400 you should be able to buy a couple of rods, reels, and line.

They also make casting and spinning travel rods.

If they are close-outs there won't be any warranty, but that would be of little use
if you are footloose in South America.

If you need compact spinning gear look for a Palo Verdes medium spinning rod on
the internet. The is a place in Mountlake Terrace that sells on the net, they run about $15 plus shipping and are compacted telescopic models that close down to about 18 inches.

#662257 - 02/11/11 03:14 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: Sebastes]
bacota Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Best site ever.

As much as I'd like to bring two rods, I'm going to be backpacking this trip, and every ounce counts. I may end up regretting it, but I really only want to bring one rod, and a reel with a couple spools of different line types. That being said, I still have some time to think about it, so I'm going to do just that.

Dave Vedder, that's one hell of an offer, sir. Yes, I will be coming back, but I honestly have no clue as to when. It could be a year or more depending on how frugal I can be. And also, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable borrowing that much gear because I think I would be too worried about losing it, breaking it, or getting it stolen. However, maybe we could work something out on some flies? Maybe even for purchase, as I'd imagine some of the fish down there have the capability of breaking me off something proper. As far as testimonials go, I haven't fished with anyone that I know online (which is mostly a result of me not getting to fish that much). And I haven't been on this site for very long. But I have been on steelheader.net for a while, and there are a few folks that are on both sites that I think could vouch for the fact that I'm good people. Albeit only knowing an internet persona. I'd be happy to meet you and let you be the judge.

Salmo, thanks for all the advice. You really got me thinking. I wish I could wait for your review on the 9th, but I'll be leaving right around that time and need to gather my gear in the next few weeks.

I see you too, Sebastes. Thanks for you .02. Any and all info helps me to second guess myself and make this decision even more informed. I'll be offline for most of the weekend, but might get a chance to check in.

I recieved a PM about a 9wt sage, so I may now be just looking for a reel if I do indeed to decide to bring just one rod. Gotta pull the trigger in the next week or so. Decisions, decisions.

Again, thanks all.

#662259 - 02/11/11 03:17 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: bacota]
bacota Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Oh, and thanks for the well wishes, seastrike. Placencia is defnitely on the list, as are the conch fritters (and various other yummy ways to combine them with a cold belikin).

#662287 - 02/11/11 05:39 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: bacota]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Bring some metal leaders and shore cast after dark.
Lot's of fun.
Watch out for the crocks though!
I did a solo trip down there about 10 years ago. Everyone I met was cool.
There is a guy named John (I know big help). He's a flats guide. Ten years ago it was $200 for a dark to dark journey out to the flats in a 20 ft panga with a Honda 4 stroke. I am an amature fly dude and I caught lots of bones, some permit, broke off a tarpon, all the cuda to feed the "resort" and some Jacks.

Bring strong sun screen.

Hey Gilly...if you are reading this give bacota John's last name.
I can't remember it.

One of the most interesting things I found down there is that the Mayans still exist.

You have the Belizians (decendents of the Spanish), the Caribs (escaped African slaves I believe), and the Mayans. I did one day doing a tourist deal to some Mayan ruins. Very cool.

Ok last thing. On your way out to the flats you keep experiencing water that is even more blue than the water you just went over. I mean the coolest looking water (besides steelhead green).

Very jealous of your trip.

And I do have a budget 9/10 two piece if you want to strap it to your backpack.

#662289 - 02/11/11 05:57 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: seastrike]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Nice Bacota! Way to live! Everyone is friendly there. Take advantage of it because they'll happily give you advice and point you in the right direction when it comes to about anything.

My only advice regarding the fly rods is if you are already bringing a 4 piece rod and it fits it a tube, you can likely fit a second 4 piece rod in the same tube. It wouldn't take up any more space in your pack.

You should shoot me your e-mail address. I'll be back in San Pedro next Nov/Dec and you should have all the spots honed in for me. wink

Post some pics on PP in a couple of months and make us even more jealous!

-AP

#662822 - 02/14/11 01:08 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Second AP's remark that you can fit two 4-piece rods in one tube. I do that regularly when traveling. Might have to take the rods out of their bags, and make sure the rod grips are on opposing ends. Since rod cases weigh much more than rods, this approach helps keep weight and bulk down. Take a spool of wire leader (spendy! at $17 the other day) for toothy critters, and a spool of 40 or 60# for Tarpon shock tippet.

Sg

#663274 - 02/15/11 06:44 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: Salmo g.]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

John Costillo in Placencia.
I think.

#664372 - 02/19/11 08:51 PM Re: WTB Fly Set Up for Central America [Re: seastrike]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Bacota,

I understand the weight problem, but take at least two rods. cause you are sure to break at least one.

Take a look at the fly rods and spinning rods at Compactfishinggear.com. I have an 8wt fly rod that compacts to 18 inches. It isn't as easy to cast as a four or five piece rod, but is tiny and weighs only ounces. I've landed Silver salmon to 16 pounds on their light- medium weight spinning rods.

If you have some way to make contacts with some ex-pats that live in some of the places you hope to end up, you might see if you can't get some gear shipped to those locations.

I know you are primarily interested in fly gear, which is harder to find, but I'd add some spin gear and jigs.

You can make a lot of friends with the natives if you catch and share your catch which can help extend your stay.

A lot of places you'll find the locals fishing with mono wrapped around a pop can as their version spinning tackle.

If you can pack a a couple of spools of 10-20 lb. test mono and a sack full of bait hooks to share with the locals, you may become a hero.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1259 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |